“Great little hostel and CLEAN common areas!”

Grand Canyon International Hostel
Tyler, TX
“Great little hostel and CLEAN common areas!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here late April 2014. Walking distance from the Amtrak station, they let me in at 0630 to have breakfast, warm and freshen up. Nice people, clean facility other than just some minor attention was needed to the free computer area( dusting and a good wipe down).

Would certainly stay here again. A+++ all the way!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I complaint about the bed bug to them that I got serious bites after I got home, and asked for refund and told them maybe rather than writing them bad reviews online. The owner replied that I am "lack of knowledge", I "threatened" them and doesn't sound genuine.They replied they are the owner named John McCulloch and the wife Lisa. I then replied with the receipt for buying medicine which is less then USD 3, because they said I am from different culture and lack of knowledge and didn't even attach the receipt. They still don't reply afterward and want to close the case without refund and bad manner.

They said nobody complains and checked for nothing. I only saw the same situation on TripAdvisor and wanted to threaten for money back. They also said I should be careful with the hostels before and after I stayed, maybe I brought bugs or they brought bugs to me.

They said I didn't complain right away, but how do I know that's their problem if I never saw complaints online. Even I complained right away they would have said nobody complains and I might have bites from the outsides. But I did have bites from my clothes I hang on or when waking up in the morning and found them on the body.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank clairewa02
Lisa M, Owner at Grand Canyon International Hostel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
This was the real response I had sent to Ms. Wang.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:37 AM, John Mcculloch <itmedianow@yahoo.com> wrote:
Ms. Wang- My name is John McCulloch and my wife, Lisa, and I are the owners of the Hostel. When I was notified last Friday (April 4th) of your request for a refund, I immediately went to the Hostel to check about bed bugs in room #6. However, there were three (3) guests in the room and I was not going to remove their luggage to search for bed bugs. They were scheduled to check out on Saturday but they decided to stay until tomorrow (April 8th). So I will search the room then for any signs of bed bugs. I must say that none of the 3 people in the room have stated any concerns for being bitten. No one complained before you were here and no one has been bitten since you left. You stayed for 4 nights and you never mentioned about being bit by bed bugs. It was only after you read that we provided refunds did you contact us, and now you threaten to write a bad review about our hostel if we don't send you money. In most parts of the world that would be considered "blackmail".

As you were told, we take bed bugs very seriously and have a thorough cleaning process if they were to be found. You also stated you want to be compensated for your medicine but offer no receipt for what that cost may be. There is a professional way to proceed and your current request does not sound genuine. Given the cultural differences, I understand your lack of knowledge in knowing how to seek appropriate compensation if warranted, but since you took 11 days to contact us, it will take a little while to confirm or exclude the presence of bed bugs. As a professional courtesy to other Hostels, where did you stay before you came to our Hostel, and where did you go immediately after you left our Hostel. If there were bed bugs in the room, I would not like to think you might have carried them to another hostel.

I hope we can resolve this in the next few days.

Respectfully,

John McCulloch

P.S. No bed bugs were found
Pescara, Italy
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I loved that place!! The staff is nice, the hostel was nice cheap and comfortable. there were breakfast and sheets provided, free wifi and cozy common rooms where to chill, read etc. It was also clean and I meet really nice people.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed here one night as we passed through Flagstaff on our way West. The hostel's location is good, right downtown. Parking was somewhat limited, but we were able to get a spot in their lot. The hostel has a very warm and cozy vibe, and was much cleaner than expected (including the shared bathrooms and showers). The staff was friendly and helpful. The clientele on the night we stayed was typical for a hostel, several young guys on adventures of various sorts. Our room was quiet and comfortable, and had a sink in it. Breakfast was not special, but adequate, and a nice addition. Overall, we'd recommend this hostel to anyone in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marissa H
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Just stayed here for one night, but it felt so relaxing after a long drive. Room was ok, facilities were acceptable. They provide lite breaky, which is enough for you to save same cash. Hostel location is fair with others in town, walking distance. Staff were friendly too.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for 3 nights after spending some time in Vegas. This hostel stood out to me because it was so clean, and the facilities were so well thought out and cared for. There was a nice TV room, kitchen, laundry, etc.

Compared to Vegas, the vibe was pretty chill (as you might expect). We didn't pay for any of the tours because we had a car, but they looked like good deals.

Overall, this was an excellent jumping off point for exploring the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest NP, and Sedona. Even though the three of us probably could have found a hotel for less than the total cost of staying at the hostel ($22/person), it was definitely worth staying at the hostel because it helped us to connect with other travelers and gave us a great sense of the area.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JDirron
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I just love this place. I've stayed here about a dozen times over the last 5 or so years. Never fail to meet a bunch of fascinating travelers from all over the world.

Comfortable but basic surroundings. Free breakfast and parking. Lots of great restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and bars within an easy walk. Attentive staff who seem to take a genuine interest. Everyone here will try and help you.

Not a "party-scene" hostel like many others. Most partying is done at nearby bars for those who care to. Welcoming for folks of all ages, nationalities and cultures. They organize great tours to Sedona and the Grand Canyon if you're into the group scene. Otherwise, it's a great place to park it the day before or after a trip to the Canyon. Flagstaff has so much more to offer than Williams. Give it a try.

If you're a couple instead of a single, check out the Dubeau Hostel operated by the same folks. Just around the corner and a bit of a different vibe if you're looking for more privacy and the chance for romance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left of the hall... less train noise (which you'll hear from any hotel loc...