“Basic but fine for BPs”

Grand Canyon International Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Basic but fine for BPs”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice showers, limited breakfast with disgustingly sweet porridge sachets. wifi was temperamental but overall perfectly fine stay.
Good location for restaurants/bars in Flagstaff in the evening. only an hour's drive to the main sightseeing views and hikes of the GC.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

great place, lovely place to stay, good place to meet like minded people.. place is clean and the rooms are clean, beds are comfy, good value for money, even though i only stayed two nights it was fantastic!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2014

A bit over priced for me but then all hostels are in USA...I liked the HI in Phoenix because they're
Open to working mostly cleaning! In exchange for bed.
This hostel is well located but they need to turn down the MUSIC blasting as it makes it hard to talk with other guests which is what I enjoy doing when choosing a hostel. The fellowship is important for me.
In New Zealand we have a huge network of hostels . I am surprised America has so FEW!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Rene L
Dortmund, Germany
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The rooms very small, the TV (we had to pay extra for it) worked not like described, very close to the main station (= 1. close to a very good restaurant (Lumberyard Brewing Company), 2. you can here the very looong trains every 45 minutes.
I found it a bit confusing as they have two check-in/ -out points.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I lucked into getting a bunk one night and ended up staying for three. It's right by downtown Flagstaff. Everything feels very clean, the staff is friendly, there's a pretty good kitchen, and plenty to eat for breakfast. My only complaint is that the first night I was there it was a little loud at 2am, it's tough to complain when you get a breakfast, bed, and shower for the price of a campsite though

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Tyler, TX
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here late April 2014. Walking distance from the Amtrak station, they let me in at 0630 to have breakfast, warm and freshen up. Nice people, clean facility other than just some minor attention was needed to the free computer area( dusting and a good wipe down).

Would certainly stay here again. A+++ all the way!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I complaint about the bed bug to them that I got serious bites after I got home, and asked for refund and told them maybe rather than writing them bad reviews online. The owner replied that I am "lack of knowledge", I "threatened" them and doesn't sound genuine.They replied they are the owner named John McCulloch and the wife Lisa. I then replied with the receipt for buying medicine which is less then USD 3, because they said I am from different culture and lack of knowledge and didn't even attach the receipt. They still don't reply afterward and want to close the case without refund and bad manner.

They said nobody complains and checked for nothing. I only saw the same situation on TripAdvisor and wanted to threaten for money back. They also said I should be careful with the hostels before and after I stayed, maybe I brought bugs or they brought bugs to me.

They said I didn't complain right away, but how do I know that's their problem if I never saw complaints online. Even I complained right away they would have said nobody complains and I might have bites from the outsides. But I did have bites from my clothes I hang on or when waking up in the morning and found them on the body.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank clairewa02
Lisa M, Owner at Grand Canyon International Hostel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
This was the real response I had sent to Ms. Wang.

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:37 AM, John Mcculloch <itmedianow@yahoo.com> wrote:
Ms. Wang- My name is John McCulloch and my wife, Lisa, and I are the owners of the Hostel. When I was notified last Friday (April 4th) of your request for a refund, I immediately went to the Hostel to check about bed bugs in room #6. However, there were three (3) guests in the room and I was not going to remove their luggage to search for bed bugs. They were scheduled to check out on Saturday but they decided to stay until tomorrow (April 8th). So I will search the room then for any signs of bed bugs. I must say that none of the 3 people in the room have stated any concerns for being bitten. No one complained before you were here and no one has been bitten since you left. You stayed for 4 nights and you never mentioned about being bit by bed bugs. It was only after you read that we provided refunds did you contact us, and now you threaten to write a bad review about our hostel if we don't send you money. In most parts of the world that would be considered "blackmail".

As you were told, we take bed bugs very seriously and have a thorough cleaning process if they were to be found. You also stated you want to be compensated for your medicine but offer no receipt for what that cost may be. There is a professional way to proceed and your current request does not sound genuine. Given the cultural differences, I understand your lack of knowledge in knowing how to seek appropriate compensation if warranted, but since you took 11 days to contact us, it will take a little while to confirm or exclude the presence of bed bugs. As a professional courtesy to other Hostels, where did you stay before you came to our Hostel, and where did you go immediately after you left our Hostel. If there were bed bugs in the room, I would not like to think you might have carried them to another hostel.

I hope we can resolve this in the next few days.

Respectfully,

John McCulloch

P.S. No bed bugs were found