“Pleasant Surprise in the Pines of Flagstaff”

Comfort Inn Flagstaff
Ranked #7 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Just returned form a short family getaway in Flagstaff. We had to take the dog this trip, so our options for hotels were limited. Based on our research, we settled on Comfort Inn and we're really glad we did. In addition to being a nice hotel for families with kids, the hotel is also very dog-friendly ($20 fee).

The rooms are clean and the beds are comfy (if you are staying with your pet, I recommend getting the suite for the extra room), there is free WiFi and a nice morning breakfast in a lodge-inspired dining/relaxation area. As a bonus, this property is away from the traffic and train noise of Route 66 - plus it's located near lots of restaurants, shopping and the Interstate.

For us, we were most impressed by the friendliness of the staff - everyone from housekeeping to the front desk crew were fantastic. It really set the tone for a great stay. I've stayed in lots of hotels in this area and I recommend Comfort Inn for families (especially those with dogs) without hesitation. A great value!

Room Tip: If you are staying with a pet, choose a suite on the ground floor for extra space and quick access f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Room clean. Beds fine. Don't stay near elevator, noisy. Pool is small. In area with several chain restaurants ( red lobster, dennys) and similar hotels. Continental breakfast was ok. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main lobby and elevator. Expect lots of families.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The pictures I had seen on the internet for this hotel does not do it justice! The photos cannot convey the cozy decor this place has! It was a great stay. It has a country motif.

The staff was ever so friendly (except for one person - I'll explain in a moment). They greeted us every time we walked in, talked with us when we were in the lobby, and even suggested a great pizzeria in town. Only one staff member was a little unfriendly, but I attribute it to an off-day for this person. Otherwise everything was great, and I am giving this hotel 5 stars!

The rooms were nice and clean, complete with a large flat-screen TV, refrigerator, microwave, and a coffee maker. The bathroom had a full tub, too. The only strange thing was that the sink was outside the bathroom. There was even a small closet to hang clothing. We had two queen beds in there.

There is a pool, but we did not utilize it. We stayed during monsoon season, and due to its high elevation, Flagstaff seemed to get a little chilly upon the approach of these storms.

There is a laundry room available for guests, which we did utilize twice. It is $2.00 for the washing machine and $1.00 for the dryer. The detergent is $.75, but we brought our own. It only takes quarters which the front desk can exchange for you. The washing machine sometimes eats quarters or jams, but it can be easily fixed. The dryer takes a while and never fully dries completely; it gets too hot and humid for clothes to dry entirely. But, the services are there if you need them.

The breakfast is delicious. There are hot and cold choices. There are a few cereal choices as well as some pastries and fruits. The muffins were very good. And let's not forget the fresh baked cookies at 6pm daily in the lobby! The coffee is on all the time.

We were too tired a couple of nights to go out to eat, so we ordered in our food. The delivery services bring the food right up to the room.

The air conditioning was a bit loud, but it did work. We had to turn it off during the night, however, because it's constant cycling would wake us up. Luckily, though, the window could be opened. We had a view on the pool and parking lot.

As for location - it is near many things that can be important for travelers. Those include restaurants and gas stations. Furthermore, there are several big box stores nearby like Target, Kohls, and Walmart. It is near a nation-wide bank. And, for those who want to go out on a day trip to several popular places, including the Grand Canyon, the hotel is near AZ-89 (Grand Canyon), I-40 (Kingman, and eventually Las Vegas or points east), I-17 (Verde Valley, Phoenix), and AZ-89A (Sedona).

I picked Flagstaff for its rather centralized location in Northern Arizona. I picked this hotel for its price originally. We were surprised by how nice it really turned out to be, and if/when I return to Flagstaff, I will book this hotel again.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the parking lot kept the noise of the main street blocked, although I do not know...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Suz732
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Our family was traveling to and from southern California last week and against my better judgement our hotel reservations were changed for our return leg. We had originally booked a night at the Best Western in Flagstaff, although my sister in-law insisted that we stay at the Comfort inn instead. Upon arriving at the hotel we were impressed with the area and its mountain cabin appearance both inside and out. Our check-in was quick and painless with the helpful and friendly staff. The room on the other hand was small compared to a similar room we had at the Best Western, but it was the smell that was the most annoying, We had booked a smoke-free and it had a sign on the door as such, but the smell was like an old ash-tray. My wife had to use air freshener and candles to try and make it manageable. When I spoke to the staff all the could say was that they would look into it, big help that was... We don't travel very often but when we do, we expect better of a large hotel chain such as Comfort Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dash C
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We stayed here just one night while passing through Flagstaff. It was a pleasant property and a clean room. The small pool looked inviting though we didn't have a chance to try it out. The beds were too soft for us, but other than that it was a fine stay.

1  Thank N-on-the-go
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
2  Thank Manuel A
Reviewed 23 July 2013

While driving from Arkansas to Sedona Arizona(Then on to Vegas) we had less than two hours left when a snow storm hit us in Flagstaff. I thought we should get a room, my wife said we could make it, well less than a mile down the road it was getting worse so we literally slid into the parking lot here needing a last second room at about 3:00 in the morning.

I am giving this hotel 5 stars beause of the customer service, I can not express how amazing they were. The night worker knew our situation and gave us a discounted night, some free breakfast food even though that wasn't open yet, and a late checkout to see if the snow would be off the roads so we wouldn't have to get another night. The room was above average, but not a luxury suite. It was definitely roomy and had comfy beds with a large LCD TV, but this place really took care of us because of our situation.

We initially booked another night that next day, but cancelled after we checked out the roads and they gave us a refund no problem. We couldn't have been more lucky to have found this place at the last second. For a decent price and not far from the Grand Canyon and Sedona, this is a nice hotel, with superior customer service!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple