“Nice place at a fair price”

Comfort Inn Flagstaff
Ranked #6 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kingman, Arizona
“Nice place at a fair price”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My wife and I were on motorcycles doing a tour of Northern AZ. The driveway is shared with another hotel, so kind of confusing. There is a sharp turn at the top of the driveway and we were almost hit twice by people taking the turn too wide. The parking lot is tight and small. The pool area looked very nice, the lobby is beautiful. The check-in staff was nice. The room was clean, The night was quiet, the bed was good (pillows were small however), bathroom area was good and clean. There are lots of great places to eat within walking distance of the hotel. The only real downfall we can say was that the breakfast was about a "3" in our opinion (I know others say it was great). We ended up going across the street to Coco's for breakfast......yes, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: as always.......request a room away from the ice machine !!!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blzstpr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This was our last stop on our way home and we were very glad we made this choice,,,the staff were very friendly, the room was great, the beds were great and the TV viewing was very good, it was quiet and very clean and set in a nice rustic setting. Would stay again if in the area!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrsjones4746
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were very pleased and love this place. Clean, comfortable, good breakfast and decorated in mountain lodge decor. Friendly service. Would not hesitate to stay again. Good value and a good nights sleep. We love Flagstaff and now have a place to stay with confidence.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ProfMercator
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was the second place we stayed during a statewide trip through Arizona.

THE GOOD: The exterior was your basic chain-motel look, however the interior was very nice. The breakfast/leisure area was open and with a stone fireplace that was lit our entire stay. It was a nice place for breakfast and to just sit around to have a cocktail.
The breakfast was pretty good overall with an assortment of scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, hot & cold cereals, muffins, etc., and it was always full so no waiting for food.
Our room was clean and without any odors. The bed was comfortable and, although the pillows were small, they too were comfortable.The heater worked well (we were in kind of a cold spell) as did the TV. The "refrigerator" was your typical, small appliance used primarily to keep items cold. We used the vending machines for ice, so that was not a problem.
Another nice feature was the location was very close to a grocery store, Wal-Mart, gas stations, and a CoCo's restaurant. Other businesses weren't far away either.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD: The housekeeping needs improvement. We used the coffee pot on our 3rd day (5 day stay) and never had it replaced with fresh packets. Also, the sundries, (like shampoo) were only replaced after two days. Considering the shampoo bottles were super tiny, there was no way one bottle could accommodate two adults and should have been replaced when found opened. Another thing was that the ice bucket used from the night before still had the wet plastic insert and melted water in it.

The breakfast was good except the coffee was never hot, mostly luke-warm at best. This was also the case if you wanted coffee at night. In five days, except for brewing coffee in our room one time, we had to microwave every cup. Other guests were also complaining about this.

Lastly, except for the outside maintenance man, we found most of the desk staff to be like the coffee, luke-warm when dealing with them. They weren't rude or ill-mannered, we just got the feeling we were bothering them when we had a question, especially when they were chit-chatting about things that didn't sound to be hotel related. For example, I went to get a coffee one evening and when I brought up it was just warm, one of the staff came over, tasted it, and made the statement, "you like it warmer than this?" We also found the housecleaning personnel were the same way. They would pass you in the hallway and never even acknowledge you.
We stayed in other hotels on our trip throughout Arizona and always felt we were "welcomed"; we just didn't get that feeling here.

Having said all this, we found the hotel to be fine for our purposes. These issues, while not up to what we think should be a hotel's standards, were not so terrible we wouldn't stay there again...but we would definitely shop around first.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WNCprof
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at this Comfort Inn at the last minute, booking on the recommendation of Tripadvisor Reviews. I was headed for the Grand Canyon, south rim, when the government shut down. This was not the El Tovar... There is a spacious lobby, with a balcony overlooking it from the second floor. With the addition of a dead deer head, the effect did not quite make the Grand Canyon Lodge atmosphere which they were trying to emulate. The lobby seating howvere, was friendly and useful..If you order in , you can eat on a table on the balcony overlooking the lobby..or, lounge by the TV.. In the room, there are food delivery suggestions for chain eateries.Instead, if you like pizza, try NiMarcos Pizza, a locally run establishment, with good food and service.

The location is central, near downtown Flagstaff attractions, with easy access to major highways, but it is not attractive. You are surrounded by American kitsch, "casual dinning " restaurants ( we ate at an Olive Garden ) and Walmarts. These 'amenities' are convenient, but not atmospheric...

The reason I give this hotel three stars is the room layout. I despise a room with a sink only outside the bathroom. I get that the assumption is that this lets people shower etc., while others can wash up. Fine, but have a sink in the bathroom too. Who wants to brush their teeth and do other private things in view of friends or family..and if someone is asleep, they don't need to hear your ablutions.. Other than that, the room is a bit cramped, but comes with a microwave and fridge, both useful amenities.

The breakfast is varied, fruit, hot eggs, meat, waffles..it is a a step up from the usual "free breakfast" offerings, tho' food quality is about average.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gemswinc
Alpine, AZ
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel was recommended by friends who stayed there recently. We visit Flag from time to time to see relatives, and have stayed at a number of places, really just searching for a regular hotel that meets our needs. Well, this is not it! It sounded like a large gorilla was living above us, every footstep resonated through the floor, the room was just ok, dated interior. No convenient parking, and a difficult entry way that clogs up with no sensible traffic pattern. Not trying to be mean but this place is just not that nice. The search continues!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Dano C
Southrn California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I had never stayed at this Comfort Inn, but based on reviews here, I'd made a reservation for an overnight stop on our I-40 trek. Upon entering the lobby around nine o'clock, there was an unusually strong smell of something akin to room freshener...hmmm. The odd odor was initially counter-balanced by the delightful lodge style common room with a huge working fireplace where several groups of travelers were scattered around tables and appeared to be playing various board/card games. The very pleasant front desk clerk mentioned that the carpet might be a bit wet in my room, as it had been cleaned earlier in the day.

Upon arriving in the second floor hallway, the chemical odor became even stronger...even more so when I opened the door to the room. I could have gotten by with the wet (not damp) carpet, but the chemical odor was overpowering. I wearily trotted back down to the desk to request another room and learned that the only other rooms not yet occupied were on the second floor, all with carpets cleaned earlier in the day. Armed with three additional room keys, I headed back upstairs only to find more of the same.

Though the desk clerks were pleasant and professional, it would certainly have been KINDER if they had suggested guests take a quick trip upstairs sans luggage to check out the situation, but that would probably have begat a few complaints about the double trip from anyone not bothered by the odor of the carpet cleaning chemicals - I realize it boils down to that old adage about only being able to please some of the people some of the time...

During the next hour, while the still very pleasant desk clerks attempted to get my credit card points reinstated and relocate me to the Comfort Inn's sister hotel down the street, there was a steady stream of unhappy travelers complaining of wet pungent carpets, several of who were cheerfully, efficiently given refunds before they hit the road in a late night quest to find alternate lodging. At least one opted to transfer to the sister property as well, which turned out to be fine - it had been purchased, gutted, refurbished, and only opened three weeks prior.

I ran into the manager of both properties at check-out the next morning. He said carpets are routinely cleaned twice a year and there had never been such a problem before, but that he would contact the carpet cleaning company and give me a call. He did, indeed, call - high marks for the follow-up! Apparently, they started late and had fewer fans than usual...stuff happens...

The manager assured me this was an "off day" and urged me to give the Comfort Inn a try the next time I'm in Flagstaff - I will...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business