“Don't waste your time.”
Review of Pioneer Museum

Pioneer Museum
Ranked #25 of 104 things to do in Flagstaff
More attraction details
Owner description: Originally constructed as the Coconino County Hospital for the Indigent in 1908, AHS Pioneer Museum offers exhibits on the history of Flagstaff and northern Arizona, demonstrations, workshops, educational tours, monthly special events, and annual festivals. The Flag Wool & Fiber Festival is the first weekend after Memorial Day.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children
Flagstaff, Arizona
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I have lived in Flagstaff for 15 years and this was my first time here. I will probably wait another 20 years to go back. The price was high for such a small museum and there was no rhyme or rhythm to the place. It is kind of separated by different years in the different rooms but not much is labeled it just seems like a bunch of stuff from that respective time period was thrown in a room. It is a very small museum with not much to look at. The best thing about it were the old pictures of Flagstaff and there were not many of those. Don't worry about missing this one, you will not miss much.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Drew M

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Long Overdue Visit”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My parents and I thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to the museum- long overdue having lived in Flagstaff for 27 years! The displays were incredibly interesting and we loved all of the bits and pieces of local history included in the signage- so many events and people that we'd never heard of before! And to see them interwoven with the sate and national events via the timelines- fascinating! Since our first visit I've found myself on the internet searching for additional stories on the characters and incidents introduced through the museum's exhibits.

-Sheryl

Arizona
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lots of history”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Lots of history. The staff were very friendly & informative. They are still working on some exhibits; however, still was a great stop for us. We will go back next time we are there.

London, United Kingdom
133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Different museum”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I found this museum very different from museums in England. I went with family and we were greeted by a very pleasant woman who was clearly interested in her museum and gave us some interesting information before we went in. The museum was an old hospital building from the 1930s It had different sections eg childrens school room and nurses living quarters. It had lots of photos of the past for the school and instruments etc, including an Iron lung for the medical side of things and some lotions and potions. It was a real find and so interesting. It was 'set in its own times' eg 1910 - 1960s and pre 1880s, Outside there was a wonderful piece of history with old houses including rocking chairs and barns and pieces of machinery for the farm. I loved this bit. I also liked the prices for things in the past and the comparison to now.
It is worth the visit and at six dollars is not expensive although in the UK museums are free. It is child friendly and the facilities are clean and well maintained. I would have liked a hook for my handbag and there are not baby firendly.

1 Thank grandma648
Okawville, Illinois
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“A Great Step Back In Time”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This museum is located in an old hospital building from the 1930s. It was saved and preserved to house a myriad of antiques and items from the past, both relating to the hospital and regular household items. The collection is huge and each room of the hospital holds items separated by the years, ie. 1920, 1930, etc. A couple of the rooms are furnished with the original equipment, such as the operating room, the nurses quarters, etc. The volunteer on duty was very knowledgeable and provided some great insight and anecdotes of the history and times of the hospital. One item in particular is an iron lung, which had been used fairly recently and has an interesting story with it. This museum is a one-of-a-kind and worth your time to visit. Nominal fee of $6 to see it, but worth the price. Make it a definite stop in your travels to the area. Look for the old articulated steam engine in front - another neat item to look at. Highly recommend. A+ rating.

Visited December 2013