“Great hostel in the heart of Old Flagstaff!”

Motel DuBeau Travelers Inn & Hostel
Victoria
“Great hostel in the heart of Old Flagstaff!”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I am a travel agent and stayed here two nights while visiting the Grand Canyon. Upon arrival, Elyse gave me a tour of the property (which I did not expect) and was very courteous at check-in. I booked a private room and I was glad I did - it was quite small, but clean and perfect for one person. It had an ensuite bathroom which was also small but adequate for my needs. Even though I was near the road, noise was not an issue; I got two good nights' sleep!

The free breakfast provided is adequate, with porridge and healthy options to choose from (and surprisingly good coffee!). There are two kitchens on-site and a lounge area with free foozball and pool tables for guests. There was a room for internet at $2/half hour if you did not have your own device to use the free wi-fi. Most of all, the area was great - several unique local dining options were within a couple of blocks' walking distance.

The real highlight of my stay was the Grand Canyon tour offered by the hotel. At $85 per person it's substantially cheaper than a lot of other tours out there yet provided good value for money. Our guide, Dan, brought us to several lookouts as well as down a trail 800 feet into the canyon. A great day and a trip highlight for sure!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Montpellier, France
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Despite the proximity of the railroad track, the place is nice, very clean room, super friendly staff and unbeatable price for Flagstaff (USD56$).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This place is jumping with STYLE! I met so many people here which became Great Friends!
They even have a Deal were you can Work for your Nights Stay! I took advantage of this & it worked out great for me!
They have a Nice Common Room with Pool Table, JukeBox etc. They have a Kitchen also.
My ONLY complaint would be the guy at the Front Desk who was covering for The Lovely Owners John & his wife. He obviously had an attitude & didn't like me anyway since I was making friends with a young korean girl he no dout liked.
All things considered this is an AWESOME PLACE! ....Just make sure the hot international girl your chatting with is not envied by the Front Desk Attendant!

Room Tip: All rooms are Nice!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank rcbjr
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed here for one night in a private room after taking a train in from ohio. It was very close to the station which was perfect for us as we were able to easily and safely walk there from the station with our luggage. I know some people have complained about the noise from the trains, but I slept fine. The rooms are pretty small and a little rough around the edges. So if you are expecting something like a hotel room you may be disappointed, but as far as hostels go it was great. Perfect for younger travelers on a budget! The staff was friendly and informative and there are really cool common areas to hang out in and meet other travelers. The location in town is perfect- there are several local shops and vegetarian/vegan friendly cafe's in the area (Macy's had awesome breakfast). Wish we could have stayed longer. I will definitely stay here next time I come to Flagstaff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

2. train noise all night
3. outside common area by rooms full of smokers
4. mold on shower curtain
5. had to 'strip' own bed
6. 'breakfast' consisted of cheap white bread, cheap grape jelly and awful fruit

Room Tip: mostly... if you wish to sleep stay elsewhere....
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank canyon_jac
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I ended up staying longer that originally planned in Flagstaff because the hostel was nice and the city has a great vibe that I liked.

It is a converted motel, so there is off street parking available.

I stayed in an 8 bed, female dorm which had a small bathroom (somewhat tricky to manage when the room is full) and also a bar fridge in another alcove.

The bunk beds were super comfy and had lovely, soft sheets that really make a difference to your sleep. The wooden floorboards were a nice touch and a couple of lamps with powerpoints in them make a difference if you get one of the beds they are near.

The only downside to the rooms are the curtains are thin so be prepared to get up early, and there were no lockers for valuables. As most people travel with an armada of electronic items, I think it's really important to have somewhere you can lock them away and be secure.

In the main building there are two kitchens so you don't have to get in anyone else's way when cooking. The kitchens were very clean and well equipped.

There's a small dining room where a free breakfast of porridge, toast, fruit, tea and coffee is served. There's also a laundry onsite which only charges $1 for a load of washing, a common room with pool table and foosball, and a lounge area with comfy couches.

Free wifi is available throughout the property.

It is in downtown, a short walking distance to all the breweries, bars, restaurants, galleries and nightlife. I felt safe walking alone at night in this area.

You will see that the train line is half a block away, but the noise is not loud or bothersome.

The only thing is I thought it would be a bit more social. It's good to meet people over breakfast, but I think most people staying here when I was there were travelling in groups.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank alittlecameo
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 1 January 2011

This hostel is awesome. Great communal feel in between the rooms. We stayed in a private room with a bunk bed. The room was rather small but that's fine it's cheap. I've noticed other reviews on this site have complained about the room conditions. My experience was quite the contrary, I thought the room was just fine. I had my own blanket and sleeping bag however because I was indeed on a road trip. People have also complained about the proximity to the train tracks, one person even claimed it came by once every 15 minutes. This is a mighty large exaggeration because it didn't come by nearly that, and most folks have lived near a train track at some point in their life and can make due without whining. The hostel is within walking distance to numerous fun bars and a strip club. It's a great place to stay if you are a traveling young person who would enjoy taking a load off after driving a lot. Flagstaff is very close to the Grand Canyon so this would be the ideal place to stay if you want to go there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends