“Quick, Cheap, and Even Has Options For A Vegetarian”

Primo's Chicago Style Hot Dogs
Ranked #214 of 345 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Fast food
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner
Tucson, AZ
“Quick, Cheap, and Even Has Options For A Vegetarian”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My husband and I were told by an acquaintance to visit the Dog Haus for a hot dog. But, as a vegetarian, they didn't have any choices for me. Although not surprising, with the atmosphere of Flagstaff, I thought that there may just be a local hot doggerie that might just offer a veggie option. I was right!

As other reviews stated, this is a hole-in-the-wall place, and it's open for late-night munching. In fact, we tried to go there for lunch, to find that it doesn't actually open until 5pm, closing at 3am. So, we swapped our dinner plans with our lunch plans, and headed to Primos around 8pm. There are about 4 bar seats against the wall, if you want to eat there, but really - this is walk-in and take out kind of joint. The options are listed on the wall and include several different toppings to your dogs or sausage.

The hotdogs we got were good. But, I couldn't help but compare it to a place I frequented when I used to live in the Providence, RI area - Spikes Junkyard Dogs. Spikes bakes fresh buns daily. The fresh buns make the big difference... because they provide a more stable and slightly crusty addition, which holds the toppings with mastery.. and adds that warm fresh bread taste to it, too.

The buns at Primos are your average store bought and super-soft bun. So, when you fill the hot dog with saucy or watery toppings, such as Primos delicious Giardiniera, chili, or even the typical mustard/relish/ketchup.. the bun just gets even softer and maybe even soggy. It kind of takes away from the dog and homemade toppings, instead of adding to it.

With that said.. it won't stop me from going back there!! I really enjoyed it, and will repeat my order the next time I'm in town.

• Visited October 2013

Anaheim, California
“Good Menu Selection”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This place is a little hole in the wall that works well with this atmosphere. You get a diverse menu selection that includes vegetarian options. The only thing that really holds this place back is the customer service. From their attitudes to their knowledge of how to work the cash register was really lacking.

• Visited July 2013
Manila, Philippines
“You go here when you need a quick hotdog fix late at night.”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

our train arrived late at night from Chicago. There was no food to be found in Flagstaff, Arizona. Good thing we found this place where all the college students go for a decent hotdog sandwich. The menu was pretty diverse (in a good way).

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank mervinmer
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Excellent late night snack.”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This spot opens late and stays open late. Line out the door of people grabbing a snack while out late at the local bars. My brat was one of the best I have had anywhere I have been (and yes, I admit that could have been influenced by it being after midnight and I had a bit to drink).

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Brandon K
Prescott, Arizona
“USUALLY GREAT, ONCE AGAIN, RUINED BY HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I have eaten here many times. They cater to Vegetarians, with veggiedogs and veggie chili Yum! Its always busy, open late, good location for after hours. This time when I went the "Manager" was preoccupied with the music more than service. I ordered my usual. My friends ordered. (this was their first time there). The chilli was so hot, overpowered by jalapeno's. I can not eat hot things, due to stomach issues. This was rediculous. More jalapeno's than necessary, when they never put jalapenos in their food before. I asked the "manger" if this was a new recipes. She rudely said no, when I knew otherwise. She was very rude the whold conversation, acting like she didnt have to care and that she had better things to do. My friends even felt overwhelmed by the jalapenos. It ruined the fun of the experience and Im very upset by the rude service. I will not go back!

• Visited July 2012