“Wonderful view but be careful”
Review of Humphrey's Peak

Humphrey's Peak
Ranked #3 of 111 things to do in Flagstaff
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Yes the view from the top is amazing but pay attention to your body going up. Altitude sickness is nothing to toy with. Drinking plenty of water is most important but also realize that if your feeling the slightest symptoms do not eat. You will not be able to digest the food if your body is not used to being at this altitude and you will make yourself feel worse. So if your new to hiking at this altitude I would suggest you, drink a lot of water, take it slow, if you eat, eat something very light and stop and rest. Give yourself a minimum of 8 hours for the entire trip, there's no rush, unless a storm is coming in. Oh and thank-you to the individual who put the trail marker signs (above the tree line) to the summit, these signs make it so much easier to get to the summit and I know it wasn't easy putting them up.

5  Thank papamikeinaz
in 5 reviews
"feet elevation"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Plan all day for this hike. Be ready for wind, rain, hail, and snow. It's wonderfully panoramic above the tree line. Trail can be a little rough to find once you pass the saddle. There are several 'false peaks' when you're climbing above the tree-line, so be ready for these psychologically. When you're near the top, you won't have any doubt. I've been at the top when there were millions of flies, when there was about a 70 mile an hour wind, and when it was beautiful. Once I brought a handheld ham radio and hit the Mt. Ord repeater, linked into a Phoenix repeater and talked to people in Phoenix. If you go, learn what fulgurites look like on volcanic rock, and look for them near the peak. There are many places where the peak has been hit by lightning. Bring plenty of water because of the altitude. And above all, be ready for very quickly changing weather.

4  Thank cmahar
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Humphrey is definitely worth the hike. I just did it 3rd time and I plan to do it again next year. Few points about it:

* Some people say it is 4.5h hike. Well... probably they mean "one way" ;-) You must be really in good shape and run most of the time to be able to do it. Normally you should plan for 6-8 hours. Start early, probably 8:00 am or sooner.

* Above treeline you will be exposed to direct sunlight and strong winds. Windy weather is pretty common and it could be really cold, even in the middle of the summer.

* Be careful during monsoon season. Rain and thunderstorm may make you hike miserable. Start early, so you get of the mountain before clouds accumulates.

* Sometimes ugly, aggressive flies resides on the top. They are really ugly, looks like they are completely bug spray resistant.

* Snow could be accouter on the higher part of the peak whole year.

6  Thank Jacenty_1967
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is an iconic hike for Arizona - the highest point and a challenge. This was my 5th attempt and 3rd summit. This time I was 52, so moving a little slower than when I first summited in 2001 at 39 years old. In 2001 I did the entire hike in 4.5 hours total with a short stop at the summit, 13 years later, it was 6.75 hours with almost double the time up and the same time down. We did spend a little more time on top to celebrate the summit. On one attempt the weather did not cooperate - 35mph winds, so turned back at the saddle. Keep in mind that the weather can change quickly and does not always accommodate. I find early to mid June and September best as you have less worries about a monsoon storm with lighting. If black clouds start to brew make sure to get below tree-line quickly. I actually know a few hikers that have been struck by lighting, so don't mess with mother nature. Last year, my son had problems with altitude sickness around 11,000', which can happen to anyone, so we had to turn back. I use Gingko Biloba and that helps me with altitude issues - still have some symptoms but not enough to hold me back. I will get a slight headache, tingling fingers and some dizziness if there is big gain in a short distance. Staying hydrated is key to feeling better. On this day, we had perfect weather, 50's at 8am, and 80's when we returned at 3pm, no clouds, and gently 5-10mph winds. I hiked with a group of 12, aged 14-53. We were doing altitude training for boy scouts preparing for Philmont which has elevation 8000-12,000'. Highly recommend the hike for anyone that likes a challenge. This one is not super hard, but it does take commitment and you will be proud of yourself for accomplishing the goal and making it to the top.

1  Thank Cindy M
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A friend and I hiked to the summit during the last week in June. It was probably the best time to hike Humphreys. So many reviews and even a guy in a camp site next to ours warned us about the gusts and wind at the top. Turned out to be a beautiful day from the start to the top - nothing more than shorts and a t-shirt+light jacket (so you can remove it during certain sections) needed. On that day there must have been 300+ people hiking, so starting off early in the morning was a huge benefit of avoiding the congestion. For me it was a difficult hike (primarily for my legs) but doable - the hardest part was coming down. Fatigued legs + a trail with tons of rocks + tree roots sticking out made it slow going. Even with that pace we were able to go up, hang out on the top for a bit, and come down in 6 hours. It was a great physical challenge and a beautiful hike. Highly recommend it.

2  Thank horserdish_ok

Been to Humphrey's Peak? Share your experiences!