“It was OK.”

Snow Peak Inn
Albuquerque, NM
“It was OK.”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Coming home from our yearly Father/Son trip we decided to break up the drive and stay the night in Flagstaff, AZ. I found the Snow Peak Inn on Expedia and it was the cheapest motel that I could find. I read the reviews (which weren't good, but since it was only one night we decided to stay here). First off the good...the room rate was just what we were looking for and we were able to be checked in well before the 3:00PM check-in time and the motel was within walking distance to the downtown area, the room did have a microwave and a mini-fridge. The bad.....even though our room was clean, the decor is something out of the 60's. The towels and bedding (including pillows) definitely need to be replaced. We did have a cracked and broken window in the room and the molding in the bathroom was peeling away. In a pinch this was an OK place to stay for the night.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this motel if you are going to stay for multiple nights.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kirkbstein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was in Flagstaff for job training and trying to save money. I was going to stay at a hostel, but wanted some privacy, so I booked a cheap room here. The first impression was alright. The building didn't look great, but I was expecting that. The person who checked me in was friendly, even when I immediately locked myself out of my room. There is a guest laundry area and an ice machine/vending machine, which my other hotel didn't have. The room was small, barely big enough for a bed and a dresser. The lock on the door seemed pretty flimsy and the other guests were a little sketchy looking, so I didn't feel all that secure. The pillow cases were yellowed, the towels were threadbare and stained, although they smelled clean. There was a bit of mold around the edges of the bathtub. My refrigerator didn't work. When I went to take a shower the next morning, I discovered that the drain was in a "closed" position as the default, so I had to manually hold the lever down periodically to empty the tub so I wasn't standing calf-deep in water. I had originally checked in for 3 nights, but checked out after the first night. No hassle on my refund, which was a plus.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Sarah S

Travellers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 28 May 2014

AWFUL! Just simply awful. The bathroom, the room itself. Broken window, the room stinks.
There was no wifi... we paid for breakfast, but after seeing the room we would not eat there, but there was no choice - the reception were closed when we left in the morning, so we were not able to eat even if we wanted to...

Unfortunately we could not change it - we arrived quiet late, and it was at Memorial day...or close to that anyway - but I would rather sleep in the car...

We have been lots of motels in the US, hotels in Europe, when I was young I also spent nights in hostels, but this was the lowest of the low.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Erika S
London
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stopped here to book a room and finally got booked in. On our way to the room we passed someone - I may be being unfair but this was a poster child for meth addiction - scrambling in the coin return slot to see if there was any change. We decided to check the room first and by the time we got to the 2nd floor another obviously longterm resident was peering in the back of our SUV. The room was appalling. I didn't even want to set foot in it, let alone sleep there. The desk clerk didn’t seem at all surprised when we asked for our money back. I've stayed in some dives but this was way beyond this. It was unclean, rundown and creepy. Sleep in your car rather than part with a dollar for this place.

Room Tip: Tip: go somewhere else. Anywhere.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jane M
Tamborine Mountain, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

After spending up big on accommodation at the Grand Canyon we wanted something that wasn't a wallet buster, and that's exactly what we got.
The room was small but it had a fridge and microwave, very clean and everything worked including the free WiFi.
The reception staff were friendly and gave us a discount from the AZ coupon book without any hassles.
What more can you ask for.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick N
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I are travelling around America, and so have a budget to hold to. We booked this place because it was cheaper than a lot of other properties in Flagstaff and looked clean enough and close enough to town to be ok. I wish we never made this mistake. I feel compelled enough to create an account on here and write my first review, to urge people in our same position to spend the extra $5 dollars and go somewhere other than 'Snow Peak Inn'.

Sure, with a cheaper place you have to expect less amenities and a more basic room, we expected this, but there is NO excuse for the amount of dirt and the state we found our room in.

On entering the check in office we were asked to wait until the guy had finished a personal conversation on the phone. He then checked us in and told us the room was around the back, no customer skills or introduction to the facilities in and around the hotel, not a great first impression.

We asked for a non smoking room, and on opening the door the stink of stale cigarettes smacked us in the face. We went down and asked for another room, and were told that the aircon system pumps in circulated air from other rooms and that the cigarette smell came from a smoking room.... Of course, that well known smoking room to non-smoking room air circulation unit...silly me!

The room was very small and It was a hot evening, so we decided to put on the smoking AC and try our luck. Of course, the AC didn't work, so we had to open the door and the windows, not overly secure. On opening the windows, we noticed that there was no way to lock them. The main window in the room was a sliding window, and was secured by a peice of wood on the window runner. And the bathroom window didn't even shut, so forget room security.

Room cleanliness was also a joke. There were hairs In the bed, and the bed spread on top of the bed was filthy and stank of stale sweat. There was thick sludgy dirt around the edges of the mirror in the bedroom, and the big window in the bedroom.

The bathroom really was the icing on the smoky dirty cake. There was no hand soap to be seen, and the shampoo dispenser was branded Americas Best Value Inn. The towels were really worn, small, stank of bleach and were from the Marriott Hotel. There was also soap sludge around the bath and in the tile grouting. The 'remodelled rooms' advertised on their sign really could do with knocking down and starting again.

If we could, we would have gone somewhere else that evening, but when pre-book something and you are away for a while on a definite budget, you're sort of stuck. Don't make the same mistake we did, stay away from this run down, tired, dirty, past it's sell by date hole, there are plenty of other cheap places in Flagstaff to stay!

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank OrderlySphinx
Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Bed - 1/5 small uncomfortable and poor pillows
Room Amenities - 2/5 fridge and microwave buit tiny room and no chair etc.
Internet - 0/5 booked on the understanding there was wireless.. THERE IS NOT!, was given a cable to connect, it was broken and didnt work - effectively no internet.

The RUDEST reception we received anywhere on our travels, timy room, towles were old.. really old.. thin, tiny and good only as rags.

The worst place we stayed in on the US trip... and yet was only $6 cheaper than "the best place (California Inn)" we stayed in. Given the numerous choices available in Flagstaff... look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple