“Pronunciation of your restaurant.”

Sakura Sushi & Teppanyaki
Ranked #79 of 354 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Sakura offers one of the most unique dining experiences in Flagstaff. Part of the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, Sakura is a popular destination with locals and visitors alike. Sakura has been voted one of the "Best Restaurants of the Southwest" by Food and Wine Magazine. Sakura has received the title of best Japanese restaurant for ten years from the Arizona Daily Sun. Sakura, which means Cherry Blossom, offers two traditional Japanese dining styles. At Flagstaffs original Sushi Bar, you can sit and watch the highly trained chefs produce incredible works of "edible art."
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My main comment is to the pronunciation of your restaurant. Sakura (Cherry Blossom). In your commercials you pronounce the name as Sah CURR ahs. With the emphasis on the curr sound. That is not the way to pronounce the name . It is s ah k uu r ah. Or Sah Coo RAH. With the emphasis on the RAH. I realize to people not familiar with the Japanese language this point is small, however, as Japanese culture has been popularized many more people are becoming familiar with some common words. The point here is if you mispronounce the name of your own restaurant in may impact the customer's opinion. Or might not, just thought I'd point it out.

It has been so long since I have visited this restaurant, over 10 years ago, thus, in terms of the accuracy of my review I am sure things may have changed. Tripadvisor only dates back to October 2010. I found the wait not to be as long as some others have. The food was a bit too salty and greasy for my taste. However, I know that is what some are after. I would prefer more of a quick grilled and less sauce type of product, However, I think that is what many non Japanese have come to expect. Much like the 'Chinese' restaurants. I get laughed at in the Chinese restaurants when I ask for dishes served in L.A. Overall, given the American Japanese type of food, it was all right. This is not Tokyo not L.A..

granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Sakura Sushi & Teppanyaki, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Thank you for your feedback regarding the pronunciation of Sakura. It's been so long since your last visit, our sushi chefs have changed in the last 10 years as have many menu items - we'd love to have you come back and let us know any additional comments and feedback you have on our food! Thank you for your post. We do value your comments.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

we stayed at the radisson hotel where this restaurant is located and had a wonderful tepanyaki dinner here. the chef's were brilliantly entertaining and it was well worth the visit.

granite_hotelmgr, Public Relations Manager at Sakura Sushi & Teppanyaki, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

We are so pleased you enjoyed the food and fun at Sakura during your visit. Thank you for the feedback - it's always appreciated.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Sakura Sushi & Teppanyaki is a Japaneese stlye restaurant where at the cooking table they cook you dinner right in front of you. The dinner was excellent and our chef Rueben was very entertaining.

The only downfall of this restaurant was the seating staff. There were three of them on staff the night we were there and they were all clueless as to what they were doing. Numerous reservations were being screwed up and all we kept hearing was "I'm Sorry" and "Thank you for your patience". One couple had their reservations screwd up twice and decided that they were hungry and tired of waiting so they just ate at the sushi bar. I guess we were lucky that night.

I would definately recommend eating here. You will have an entertaining dinner and get great value for your money.

granite_hotelmgr, Manager at Sakura Sushi & Teppanyaki, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Thank you for your recommendation and for letting us know about your experience. We will use your feedback as a training opportunity for our team. Thanks again and happy eating!

Reviewed 13 August 2011

My children and I stayed in this hotel and ate at their restaurant one night. Our server provided the most awful service I've ever had. As we initially sat down, he acted like he was doing us a favor by performing service tasks for us, like pouring water and taking our order, and then he disappeared. One elderly couple sitting at our table were so upset by his attitude and lack of service that they left before the chef showed up. The busboy was of more service to us during our meal than our server. The chef was a very nice man, I think his name was Nate, and the food he cooked for us was good. There is one odd thing about this restaurant, only white rice is served with your meal. Fried rice, usually included in a teppanyaki meal, was $2.50 extra per person! We have teppanyaki about once a month, so we figured we'd just wait until next time we go for teppanyaki to have fried rice rather than spend an extra $10 at this meal. I made sure that I tipped both the busboy and the chef well in cash, and for the first time in my life, left nothing for our "server" as a tip. I was offended by his poor attitude and lack of service. If you don't want to be a waiter, find a different job.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We have been here several times as we live in town but this most recent experience was above and beyond any other teppanyaki place we've tried. Our cook was just so very nice and funny and the best at doing all the tricks they do. Even though it was just the 4 of us at the table he still put on a great show so to say. And he to top it off he cooked our meals to perfection. Highly recommend going here and ask for Reuben Stoller if you get the chance!!! Thank you Reuben for making this my new fav place!!!

granite_hotelmgr, Guest Relations Manager at Sakura Sushi & Teppanyaki, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us. We do read and take seriously all reviews posted - both positive and constructive. We love to hear when we've exceeded our guests' expectations and will be sure to pass along your comments to Reuben!