“Met my Expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Egypt
“Met my Expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

I visited flagstaff as the base for my Grand Canyon trip & I just needed a place to spend the night in (so nothing fancy was expected). When I first arrived the staff were very friendly & accomodated all my needs. The room & shower were both spotless clean and spacious. All the rooms have a free Wifi which is a good bonus. There is a fridge in the room but no coffee maker; however, there was free coffee at the reception. The motel is safe and very close to the center of the town with free parking. Overall, the Highland Country Inn met my expectations and I can't have any complaints about it since i was not expecting more.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
brighton, united kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

we arrived on a freezing cold night in november from the tropical climate of las vegas, not realising that we were an hour behind flagstaff which is on the mountain time zone. check in was swift and the staff seemed friendly. room was a reasonable size, it was basic but comfortable and clean. we both slept well and were'nt disturbed by the trains which is quite ironic considering the station is only about half a mile down the road. we both loved flagstaff it really conjured up an image of an old pioneer town to us. lastly try the beef ribs in granny's closet over the road from the hotel, like something out of the flintstones but the best beef ribs i've ever had.....beat tony romas!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

We stayed at the Highland Country Inn for one night stopover and it well suited our needs, it was close to the railway station, was quite clean, room was quite spacious, basic but comfortable.
Staff was quite helpful

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

I think one other review said it well - this hotel is the best when it comes to basic! If you want lots of extra room and luxury shampoo and soap then you will need to go elsewhere. If you want an awesome price for a clean room then this is the spot for you. We stayed here for two nights in March '09.

The room is not large, but it is clean and the perfect place for a shower and sleeping. A family of four would probably be a bit crowded, but two people can easily manuever in this room. I didn't come to Flagstaff to hang out in the hotel, so no pool and no breakfast buffet was not a problem. Besides, there are plenty of places close by to grab a bite.

Sure there is a little traffic on the corner at rush hours, but the price is well worth dealing with a few extra cars at rush hour times. There is a good size refrigerator and a small microwave in each room. We aren't coffe drinkers, so not having a coffee maker was no problem. We are not at the hotel much when we travel, so we were quite satisfied with our choice.

As for the train noise, I can't give an accurate answer since I sleep with a "white noise" machine, but I can say that you would be hard pressed to find any hotel in Flagstaff that doesn't have some train noise at night. Best I could tell before we went to sleep there was less train noise here than the hotel I stayed in previously when in Flagstaff.

I would definitely stay here again next time I am in the area. Saving money on the hotel allowed me to spend more on food and fun!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

Not a bad little hotel. The stairs to the second floor were a bit of a pain. The train noises were not to bad, I only heard a few. The front staff were freindly and helpful. Very close to city center and only a short walk to shops and supermarket.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2009

I made a reservation for just one night but apparently I clicked the 'submit' button of the online form twice and so I was charged for two nights. I tried to cancel the extra reservation by phone, email... after three weeks of frustrating attempts I finally got a response from a guy from the reservation service Hotel Plus Portal saying that I will get a refund. But not a full refund because a commission of $25 is not refundable. I know $25 is not a big deal but I think is not fair.
The motel was not bad, clean room, nice staff but my personal experience with the reservation service (not the hotel staff) was very very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank barbieli
Maryland, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

I chose to stay at the Highland Country Inn after reading enthusiastic reviews on TripAdvisor, and I have to agree with the reviews. This is a very basic, no frills motel, but it is done very well indeed. The rooms and bathrooms are spotlessly clean. The amenities are not at all fancy, but they're perfectly functional. The free wifi is quite good, and the in room microwave and fridge were appreciated (the fridge kept making a clicking noise through the night, but it did not bother me). Heating cooling unit works just fine. The rooms are not massive, but there is certainly space to walk around the beds, which are perfectly fine. The train tracks are close by, and one does hear train whistles, but I did not find them too loud. The location is quite good, close to downtown Flagstaff and across the street from the entrance to Northern Arizona U. It was possible to walk to dinner, with a number of good options. This place does not pretend to be more than the basic motel that it is, but it does what it does very well indeed. I would certainly stay here again if looking for a place to sleep in Flagstaff.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends