“Good enough to sleep”
Review of Mountain View Inn

Mountain View Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Flagstaff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 August 2011

For 51$ a night, we did not bother about extras. We wanted a safe, clean and affordable place to sleep in Flagstaff, and we got it. True, the train passes by, but it is the same for all the motels along the road. We also had to ask for an extra set of towels. The walls are paper thin, and you will hear you neighbours. If you are lucky, your neighbours are quiet. If not, it will be hell. AC did not work in one of the rooms we got. But for the price, we were happy and did not look for another place when we decided to go to Flaggstaff again during our trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Mountain View Inn

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Ok, lets start with the positives..... The staff were very helpful, when we asked to move from our original non smoking room because it smelt of smoke they were polite and quick to move us. Also this is a great location in an amazing town. There is a fridge in the room and wifi that kind of works.

Unfortunately that is where the positives end. The rooms were disgusting, the carpet was horrible and I didn't take my shoes off, I didn't want to put my luggage down and I refused to take a shower. I left feeling grimy, riffy and generally unhappy, which is a shame because the town has a lot to offer. There is a lot of independent and chain accommodation along the main road, next time I would try these first.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank truckstopblues
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Okay, I wasn't expecting Luxury for $62 a night although with Hotels.com and priceline.com I have been able to stay at the Hilton and similar for less. The trains were a little frightful at first but with the AC and TV on they weren't much of an issue. What was an issue was the fact that there weren't enough towels, window coverings (bathroom area) or toilet paper. Even for $62 a night I expect the basics... shampoo, conditioner, clock and coffee maker or ice machine on the premises. Of course since these were lacking it was no surprise that there was no microwave and the fact that when they came and replenished the 2 towels (reservations for 4) they didn't take out the overflowing trash. Although I saw no bugs in the room, believe you me I was on the lookout for them especially after seeing they had 4 mattresses leaning on the side of the building, I did lose some sleep, not because of the extremely thin pillows but due to worrying about Bed Bugs. The plus side is the room itself was clean and the carpet wasn't soiled.
Hilton $45 a night / Luxury Inn $62 a night........I don't even want to hear you get what you paid for!

Room Tip: Bring all essentials with you. Keep your luggage in the car.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sampsonaz
Reviewed 4 June 2011

On check in we found that the towels had just been refolded after last guest. We then turned the bed down to find the sheets had also not been changed. Went to front desk and they came with clean sheets but no pillow cases and 1 clean hand towel. At 9:30pm took key back to front desk and explained why we would not be staying. Hotel.com tried to get us our money back and Luxury Inn refused to refund our money.

Room Tip: Dirty Linen
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank justwarningyou
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I have stayed here twice and found it to be a good value for a place to sleep and relax. If you don't spend time holed up in your room and are in Flag to enjoy the town and the outdoors, this is the best value for a safe and clean place to crash. It is a well-run family business where the owners are friendly and the entire family help run the motel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank LawyerLaurie
Reviewed 7 July 2010

One of the worst hotel i seen in my life. Very bad service. too many bugs and Roche's.
and finally too expensive.
I never this kind of accommodation to friends

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Robert32655
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I recently visited Flagstaff from Tucson for a triathlon. Since I'd only be there overnight, I just needed a cheap, secure room with a good bed and a hot shower.

After reading the terrible reviews on here, I was prepared for the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised!

The hotel had a new coat of paint on the outside and looks just fine. The rooms are clean and secure. The mattress was fine. There was a new bathtub and new faucets in the sink and the shower. New tile on the bathroom floor. The TV worked fine and got basic cable stations. There were enough towels and the shower was good and hot. The toilet paper is thin, but who cares? I wasn't visiting to indulge in fancy toilet paper.

Regarding the trains - yes, they run and their horns are loud. But that's not the hotel's fault; it's the way Flagstaff is laid out - the main road (Route 66) runs parallel to the train tracks. ANY hotel you stay in along here will present you with the same issue.

I simply cranked the A/C and the fan muffled the noise sufficiently. I slept just fine.

This hotel is the quality of a Motel 6, just family owned and operated. It's perfectly fine for $50/night.

I honestly don't understand why people complain so much! Seriously - do you expect the Taj Mahal for $50/night?

I will stay here again.