“Lovely historical property with charming hosts”
Review of England House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
England House B&B
Ranked #2 of 11 Flagstaff B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed just one night at the England House on our way home from the Grand Canyon to LA. Richard and Laurel could not have been more welcoming. The house is beautiful, the food was wonderful, the bed comfy, all in beautiful Flagstaff. Richard gave us wonderful dinner recommendations and we had a very pleasant evening strolling around the town (all a very comfortable walk from the Inn). The trains did not bother us at all....maybe because we live near a freeway we are used to noise?? We just ran the fan all night. Best of all Richard had a guitar in the living room and my husband got to play to his heart's content. 1.5 hours from the Grand Canyon. Would definitely return!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed two nights at England House and couldn't imagine a nicer place to stay in one of the nicest towns in the US. Richard and Laurel were delightful hosts and their home made a wonderful change from the monotony of hotel life. Everyone mentions the breakfasts and rightly so. Each a dish is prepared using fresh local ingredients. It really is haute cuisine before 9am - a first for us! Highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We (Swiss couple, 30/27yrs) were on a cross-country road trip when we stayed in the England House B&B one night. It's a gorgeous historic house and the owner is happy to show you around. In fact this tour is part of the official welcome ;) It's a bit lengthy, but the owner really loves to talk about the house - and it indeed has a lot of history! In general, the owners are super friendly and extremely helpful and welcoming! They almost don't want to let you go ;)

In addition to this beautiful B&B, Flagstaff is a fantastic city for a stop-over to/from the Grand Canyon. And it's by far the more beautiful place to stay than Williams, which people usually choose if they don't want to stay inside the park. We stayed one night in Flagstaff, drove to the Canyon the next day, stayed one night in the Yavapai Lodge and then drove to Monument Valley the next morning. This itinerary worked very well and you actually don't need more time at the GC than that (even when you do activities like a helicopter ride as we did)!

The B&B is also in walking distance from the city center. So it's perfect for a dinner or a late night beer.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
- Overall, all rooms are gorgeous. However, they are historic and therefore with a traditional style. Not everyone's thing, but it's a great change from the boring motels along the highways.
- the pipes are very old, so our toilet got clogged. The owner was so kind to clean everything for us. I guess that's part of the deal when you're living in a historic house ;)
- the breakfast is served at a fixed time. It worked for us, but if you have to get up earlier, you might want to talk to them about this. They live right next door, so you might be able to get your breakfast earlier.
- as I mentioned, the tour of the house is a bit long.. but then again, your staying in a historic B&B for a reason anyway.

Room Tip: We had the Star Gazer room, but were also able to make some pictures from other rooms on the upper f...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

How fun was it to stay in a house that I drove by a million times while in college in the 70’s. What Richard and Laurel have done to the old Clark home is amazing. The B&B is everything and more! I'll be back for the great hospitality, amazing breakfasts, beautiful rooms, attention to details, and wonderful thoughtfulness of Richard and Laurel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful! I even enjoyed the small pantry room (very cozy) and loved the claw bat...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Came here based on the great reviews. Richard and Laurel were great hosts. The home was beautifully restored. Richard was happy to share some of the history of the home. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and perfectly located. Laurel and Richard served some excellent organic food and had lots of beverage options including caffeine free drinks which my girlfriend appreciated since she is pregnant. I indicated I was going to propose to my girlfriend and Richard called me when I booked and offered some great suggestions. I highly recommend the place and I will definitely be back. Thanks!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Song Catcher and loved the look and feel of the room. The bathtub was old fashione...
1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 7 July 2014

As parents to a sweet and energetic 2-year-old boy, you can imagine how excited I and my husband were to spend a restful night alone before the arrival of our second son in a few short weeks. England House definitely lived up to our anticipation. From the first phone call Richard was engaging, fun, and ready to accommodate all of our needs, from pregnancy dietary restrictions to any info we could desire about Flagstaff. Richard and Laurel have poured themselves into every detail of England House, and my first impression during our initial tour was that this house was the definition of a labor of love. There were so much intentionality about the place - from the push button light switches, stone walls and pressed tin ceilings that are original to the 1902 house, to the gorgeous antique furniture Laurel has selected to really bring the spirit of the original home to life.

One of my favorite things about the home is that it has a unique combination of intricacy and simplicity. There is nothing of the "clutter" one can often find in a classic bed and breakfast, with piles of haphazard knick-knacks. Everything in the house has been selected with care and excellent taste in order to match the time period while still providing modern comfort, and you can really see the beauty of the home as well as how clean everything is kept. Richard and Laurel are a very intentional couple - they have purposely never stayed in any of the rooms at England House (they live in a beautiful home behind the inn) so that guests can really make themselves at home, not worried about intruding on the owners' private living areas.

As others have written, Richard and Laurel are full of information about the town, interesting places to visit, and all types of dining. Laurel showed us all kinds of places we could try downtown, and we were able to walk to any of them (even 34 weeks pregnant!). We chose Pasto for dinner and LOVED it - try the chicken ravioli if you go!

We stayed in the StarGazer room and we'd probably request that room again, though we're curious to try the others as well! The bed was soooo comfortable and I enjoyed a wonderful hot bath in the jacuzzi style tub. We could hear the traffic outside, but the sound was mostly done away with once we turned on the window A/C unit.

Breakfast was absolutely delicious, the coffee strong and tasty, and as Richard will tell you it's all organic and natural. Guests are all served in the dining area together, yet at their own private tables. We enjoyed warm and foamy nectarines and cream as a first course followed by a hot and crispy croissant sandwich of Canadian bacon, muenster cheese, and green apples. I'd describe the food as "french" - think Barefoot Contessa in the unique style, delicious flavors, and portion sizes. Being pregnant, I also enjoyed a midnight snack of a fresh baked banana and blueberry muffin the night before.

All in all, if you're looking for an intimate, friendly, and restful stay in the Flagstaff area we highly recommend England House B&B!

Room Tip: The only reason I'm not putting "excellent" for sleep quality is because there is a bi...
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I chose this B&B based on the reviews here, and England House did not disappoint. It's tricky planning a trip for 6 people, but when I talked to Richard when making our reservations, he said "don't plan anything ahead of time, we can help you decide on things to do while you're here, with the group". It was great advice. He let us know what sites were worth our while, and had good recommendations for restaurants in Flagstaff, Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

Laurel and Richard pay extra attention to details, so the rooms and furniture are beautiful with charming antiques and are immaculately clean. Breakfast always included lots of fresh fruit, served with a creative and delicious touch.

The inn is within walking distance of Flagstaff so you have lots of convenient choices for food and drinks.

This was a family trip and the group was composed entirely of adults, but most other guests were couples, and they also raved about the England House and about Richard and Laurel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family