“A Romantic Idyll”
Review of England House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
England House B&B
Ranked #2 of 12 Flagstaff B&B and Inns
AZ
“A Romantic Idyll”
Reviewed 11 November 2006

This is the BEST B&B we have ever visited! The home itself has been wonderfully restored by Richard and Laurel who have filled it with beautiful French antiques. Their attention to detail is obvious both in the house and their care of their guests.
Richard and their gentle dog, Sadie, warmly greeted us as we pulled in. As we walked into the house, our eyes feasted on the decor, and Richard graciously shared the history of the house (and his Taylor guitar).
The location itself is a short walk to downtown where there's a myriad of food and fun. (Try nearby Beaver St. Brewery for food and drinks.)
Our room, Stargazer, the whole experience in fact, met and even exceeded our expectations. It is a romantic and relaxing setting. The bed was both beautiful and very comfortable. The aroma of the soaps and oils for the jacuzzi along with the luxuriously thick robes made the bathroom a slice of heaven.
From the wines, ales, and Dove bites left in the fridge to the delicious breakfast prepared by Laurel, our palettes were well pleased. We also really enjoyed chatting with Laurel at breakfast. We found both Richard and Laurel to be easy going and fun to be around.
We are looking forward to returning ASAP!

• Liked — everything! especially the romantic atmosphere of the Stargazer room.
  • Disliked — a minor point was the sound of the trains, but no real issue.
  • Tips/Secrets — Plan to stay more than one night. Try Beaver St. Brewery and Oregano's.
  • Stayed November 2006
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Reviewed 19 June 2006

My husband and I stayed in England House for a couple days last September before hiking the Grand Canyon. We stayed in the Pantry, which was perfect for us. It is compact, but the bed is comfy, there were lots of pillows, plush towels, soft robes, and the delicious breakfasts kept us going well past lunch despite our morning hikes.

This year there was no question in our minds where we wanted to stay. We visited England House June 11-17, 2006. We stayed the first part of the week in the Pantry because the other rooms were full, and then moved to Song Catcher. What a beautiful room! It also had a comfy bed, lots of pillows, plush towels, and soft robes just like the Pantry, but it was much larger and had a claw foot tub and an armoire.

The room and the beautiful historic house isn't the only reason we came back though. We came back for the reason we go to B&B's in the first place. We came for the innkeepers. Richard & Laurel are very knowledgable of things to do around Flagstaff and have done most of them themselves. After breakfast, they helped us plan our day and made suggestions when we weren't sure what we wanted to do. They provided maps and directions and even loaned out equipment if we needed it. At dinner time, they suggested restaurants and called to make certain the restaurant was open. In fact, Richard ran us down as we were walking to Cafe Ole because he had called them after we had left and found that they were closed for a private party. He was very concerned that we would walk all the way there (an 8 minute walk) for nothing. On our first trip, Richard also offered to retrieve our lost luggage from the Flagstaff airport when it arrived. We didn't let him, but were very touched that he offered.

I barely mentioned the food. Breakfast consisted of fresh fruit, fruit juice and a gourmet entre. I looked forward to breakfast every day. They even accomodate special dietary requirements. My husband can't stand eggs, so they made certain he had a non-egg entre for breakfast. He looked forward to breakfast as much as I did for a change!

They put wine out in the evening, and they always had iced tea, spring water, hot tea, coffee, and various other drinks available in the fridge. They also had homemade cookies out for guests to enjoy. Of all the B&B's I've stayed in, this gave us the most access to the kitchen. I really appreciated the iced tea after hiking and the hot tea before bed and the cookies anytime I passed through the kitchen. :)

I could keep going. My husband and I love this place! The house is beautiful, the breakfast is a great way to start the day, and the innkeepers are the best.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 March 2006

My boyfriend and I recently discovered the England House and fell in love instantly! We came back to stay 3 weeks later!
Richard and Laurel are incredible and pay close attention to detail. The one comment that I loved from Richard upon our return to the England House was "welcome home" and we truly feel welcomed and at home at the England House! We've stayed in the Pantry and the Stone Cutter. Pantry is a bit small, but still very enjoyable. Stone Cutter is amazing as well! We love Sadie too1 (the resident yellow lab!)
Count on a pleasant stay and a great breakfast! Richard and Laurel, see you soon!

Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 November 2005

We stayed at the England House for two nights over Thanksgiving weekend. This was my first time at a B&B, and they have set the bar very high. The home was lovingly restored and very tastefully decorated. No tacky country wall paper boarders here! All of the rooms were comfortable, even the "Pantry." I agree this room was very small, but even so, I would rather stay in the smallest room at the England House than at a Flagstaff hotel. As far as the trains go, I didn't notice them at all. My husband did a little, but not to the point of disturbing his sleep. Towels, bed, linens, toiletries, all great. Breakfast was wonderful as well. I feel that the quality of food was excellent, and that the quantity was more than enough. My husband is a runner and eats like a horse. He left the table full. Our hosts were very helpful with restaurant suggestions and brochures of local hikes and historical areas. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hampshire, England
Reviewed 1 November 2005

Richard & Laurel's B&B is delightful, with lots of nice touches; fluffy bathrobes, free access to drinks (including beer and wine) whenever you want, helpful advise for trips and restaurants. They are very accommodating people for whom your comfort is their top priority. BUT we were disappointed with a couple of things:
'The Pantry' is incredibly small with only a bed, do not expect anywhere to put your case or clothes! the picture on the web site is accurate but deceptive. We were shown the other rooms which were larger, but I would have been put off by the bathrooms which were built into the rooms as the walls did not go right to the ceiling (as they are made of tin & could be damaged).
Do not expect a hearty breakfast, some would class this as ‘nouvelle cuisine’, for example: one morning’s menu was fruit soup and an egg dish (bit like bread & butter pudding) with 3 teensy bits of bacon, no toast or bread was even offered!
To sum up: welcoming hospitability, good location but overpriced for the breakfast and room size and btw, if you don't want to hear the trains, don't stay in Flagstaff!!

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank RockyIsland
Reviewed 27 October 2005

As other reviewers have mentioned, the inn was lovely and breakfasts were wonderful. HOWEVER, we did not sleep at all due to the train crossing in front of the inn every 15 minutes or so all night long. They do not mention this on their web site, but they casually mentioned the ear plugs in the nightstand "if you need them" when we checked in. Not my idea of a way to start my honeymoon. The mattress we had was also terrible and my husband had to sleep on the floor (not that either of us slept due to the trains). I was very disappointed with our experience in terms of what we paid to stay there. Definitely not recommended.

Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I must admit, the England house was by far the best experience I have ever had at a B&B. The home was immaculate and tastefully decorated. We stayed in the stone cutter room, which has its own fireplace and sitting area. The bathroom was a little on the small side, but that would be my only complaint (and that was only if I were really looking for one). Richard and Laurel were delightful hosts, paying attention to every little detail of the experience. Richard shared the history of the house with the group over breakfast (which was a delicous egg souffle with homemade cinnamon toast). Laurel was even nice to accomodate my finicky husband with his own breakfast - pancakes and bacon. I would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a B&B in the area.

• Stayed August 2005