“we love drury inns”

Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
uk
“we love drury inns”
Reviewed 9 March 2009

arrived during heavy snow storm,the staff were wonderful and even guided us to hotel over phone despite being very busy,cannot praise enough,the hotel is new and has the usual nice drury inn touches which make this chain of hotels the best in price range,we would make every effort to find drury inns in locality we were going to stop in.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Highland, Utah
Reviewed 13 January 2009

After reading the mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect from this hotel. It's new and it looks nice in the pictures on the web, so I thought it was surprising that a number of people didn't particularly like it.

Now that I've stayed there, I understand. It's basically a nice hotel. It's located right on the campus of Northern Arizona University. The staff is very friendly. The free breakfast was very good compared to many other hotels. The place is new and in good condition.

But despite all that, I wasn't too impressed with the place. The biggest drawback is the decor. I don't know what the decorater was thinking. Our suite looked like something from the 1970s. We had chocolate brown carpet, a bright orange & gold sofa and chair, and even fake woodgrain wallpaper. Yuck.

The bathroom was modern...but the toliet was an odd water saving type. It had a sign on top of the tank saying "gray water...do not drink". (As if anyone planned on drinking out of the toilet.) The bathroom smelled a little funny, and it was probably from the "gray water". I support trying to protect the environment...and gray water is fine for irrigation and outdoor watering...but this just wasn't very appealing.

All in all, the place is decent...but I think I'll look elsewhere the next time I'm in Flagstaff.

Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank stevenutah
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, 23 January 2009
My name is Kim Chappell and I am the eMarketing Specialist for Drury Hotels. We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for your feedback. What makes this hotel unique is it's one of the first Drury Hotels to go green! The gray water in the toilet may look a little different than what you are use to, but it's a way to help save water and protect the environment. This hotel is located about 1/4 mile away from the train tracks so we understand the noise can be disruptive. Flagstaff is a busy town, though, with over 100 trains coming through the city on a daily basis! So you'll find that you can hear the trains in other hotels and throughout the city. To eliminate most of the train noise, you can request a room on the side of the building away from the tracks, facing the campus of Northern Arizona University. As our guest, we promise you the great Drury extras you can't find anywhere else in town! Enjoy free HOT! QUIKSTART® Breakfast, free evening beverages, free wireless Internet, free popcorn & soda in the lobby and so much more. If you ever have any questions or concerns during your stay, please check with our front desk and we are happy to help do what we can to make your stay great!
Arusha, Tanzania
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Location: Approx 1.5 hrs from the Grand Canyon (South Rim). 5 mins off the highway. Very poorly sign-posted so you have to really keep a sharp eye or you'll drive right by this hotel.

Rooms: I was very unimpressed, for a new hotel the decor they used is very average and plain tacky. This hotel will age very very poorly. It felt like an old 1970's motel. I uploaded pictures and the room looks very nice in the pics but much less so in person.

Breakfast: Included in your stay and was excellent with a selection of pastries, cereals, eggs, sausages, waffles, yoghurt. You're not going to leave hungry.

Staff: very friendly and helpful.

Trains: We were on one fo the top floors and I only heard the train noise (faint) int he wee hours of the morning but ti did not disturb me too much (I had requested a room facing the university, maybe this is what kept the noise down?)

Bottomline: I would not stay here if I was in the area again. Flagstaff is a small little town and there is nothing there. I would avoid this town entirely. I am surprised this is one of the top hotels.

Its the first time I think the ratings (for this city) in TripAdvisor are flawed. (The #1 choice "Little America" looks terrible from the road).If you are visiting the Canyon stay at the Canyon (lots of hotels in Tusayan which is 5 mins from the Canyon) or if you must stay in this area go down to Sedona (45mins away) and stay in a gorgeous spot. Sedona is only 45 mins away but it feels like another world.

Eating: We ate at the Chilis which is just down the road, very popular with the university students and it was packed but it was dirty (spilt drinks on the floor, paper napkins on the floor, dirty tables and chairs ... felt like we had walked into a dirty frat house). The food was terrible too. Instead, have a look at the information booklet in your room (we discovered this after eating at Chilis) for a selection of good eats.

• Liked — Excellent Breakfast
  • Disliked — Very average decor
Stayed October 2008
Berlin,WI
Reviewed 10 November 2008

I booked this hotel because we had stayed in one in Ohio. The amenities are great with free breakfast,free long distance calling,managers reception,etc. I read a few reviews about the train noise. I had originally booked a top floor room but didn't know if that would be more quiet or a room at the lower level. The desk clerk didn't offer much info so she gave us our room that I had originally booked. When we were walking to the elevator the assistant manager stopped us and said he had overheard our conversation. He said the desk clerk booked us in a room with a great view but we would hear the train noise. I said I didn't care about the view but I am a light sleeper and need a quiet room. So he rebooked us in a room on the same floor but facing the college campus instead. I only heard 2 trains all night. I guess the trains run about every 20 minutes so we lucked out.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of knowledge by the desk clerk
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple