“Can't really recommend”

Best Western Pony Soldier Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We needed a quick overnight stop, and choose this Best Western. Wish we hadn't. The staff were polite, and fitted us in, even managing to supply a fold up bed so I didn't have to share with my teenager, so it was a good start. But it went down from there. The hotel is right next to not only a busy road, but also a busy railroad. So all night long there was the sound of cars and trains - not good for anyone who is a light sleeper. On top of that the walls are paper thin so you hear every sound from your neighbours. The breakfast, well the best thing that can be said about it is that it's included, and edible ... just. It's hard to get corned beef hash wrong, but they seemed to try. At least the coffee was ok, and the toast. If it had been cheap I wouldn't have a problem, but $100 with taxes is far too much.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Pony Soldier Inn & Suites

Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

This motel is outdated and dingy. Carpets outdated, furnishings worn. Hallways dark. AC very loud in room. Front desk staff haughty. Breakfast staff non-existent: out of forks, sugar. Powdered eggs not well presented.
Dogs allowed--annoying.
Near train. Whole area smells like the Purina plant nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Rooms ok. Bed ok. Only one sink in bathroom. Clean. Good Chinese restaurant a block away. Older hotel. Had free Wi-Fi in room. Breakfast sucks! Eggs tasted funny, Are they powdered? Are they bad? We select hotels based on our route, Triple A Rating, and breakfast. We prefer two sinks so we can both get ready to leave at the same time. I like free Wi-Fi in the room so I don't have to go to the business center. We take a lot of trips and stay in hotels for most of the trips. This year we have logged 75 nights so I can be a little picky. Still I don't think I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

too expensive - breakfast was served by garden/handy man with dirty clothes and dirty hat which is not very hygienic. I lost all my appetite so I skipped breakfast. which is a shame since this hotel is quite expensive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Compared to other Best Western's along Highway 40, this one is awful...especially if you are traveling with a pet. You will be relegated to a dark, dingy room and treated like you are NOT welcome. My room smelled like urine. The breakfast was worse than average. I never received a newspaper like other guests and we did not receive a copy of our bill. There are alot of better places to stay especially if you have a pet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
sgramsaz, General Manager at Best Western Pony Soldier Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your review. I apologize that your room smelled. We put our guests with pets in designated rooms at the rear of our building for a few reasons, 1. away from the train noise, 2. it is close to our pet area located in back of building, 3. to not disturb our "non pet" guests. 4. many guests are allergic to pet dander, etc. We shampoo our pet rooms about every two weeks, or more frequently if needed.

We do not deliver newspapers or express check-outs to our rooms with pets as past experience, there have been instances where the pet will bark when sliding receipt under the door or dropping the newspaper in front of door. We do this to not disturb all of our guests between 3-5 am.

Our breakfast offerings are superior to other BEST WESTERN core hotels and our comments and guest service scores regarding breakfast will show this to be true.

Scott Grams

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Really enjoy the times we've stayed here. Met the Manager, Scott, this time and Beverly at the desk is as nice as ever. Got the suite upstairs in the back away from the road/train noise. Breakfast had an additional time this time consisting of sausage and potatoes which went really well with the scrambled eggs. Claudia was very good at keeping the breakfast area clean and well stocked. I asked it they were out of the apple cinnamon oatmeal and she quickly went to the back and got just what I asked for. In fact she remembered and asked every morning if I wanted that item. Bed was comfy as ever and they have these neat little square pillows that made sleep a pleasure. I'd not hesitate to recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We really enjoyed this room. We lived in Flagstaff for over 15 years and always thought it looked nice from the outside but this is the first time we have actually stayed there. I booked thru SW Airlines and so I didn't get a chance to say that my husband had a service dog. So, when I got there, the clerk was extremely helpful in finding us a first floor room. It is very busy there this time of year, so he could have just told me that is all they had, but he went the extra mile. Really appreciated it. The room was right by the exit doors and very easy in and out with 2 queen beds and a fridge. So, it was very nice. They have great WiFi and complimentary breakfast in the mornings. Recommend it!

Room Tip: It is a little older, so it doesn't have big closet space and the bathroom is a bit cramped, but...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple