“ok”

Ranked #40 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Idaho
“ok”
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I am not surprised at the negative reviews here... after all, the owner is also the owner of the Americanna Inn in Flagstaff...an absolute dilapidated slum hotel that honestly needs to be condemned. I was transferred (given credit, but refused refund) to the Econo after I refused to stay at the Americanna because of the filthy conditions.

At any rate, I must have had a better room (106) than many of the reviewers, no funny smells, relatively clean, ok so no soap in the room I guess they forgot, and a comfortable mattress (they must be replacing some as there were trashed ones lining the hall and I heard complaints from other guests in the breakfast room about the uncomfortable table-hard mattresses.
The bathroom fan was very loud and rattled.

There was a comped USA Today paper, the breakfast was waffles, sweet rolls, apples, juice, cereal, toast, and weak coffee.

Advertised high-speed internet turned out to be a funky locked kiosk computer next to the front desk that cost $5 for 8 minutes of use, which is ridiculous. Most of the other hotels nearby advertised free wireless.

I will not stay here again even though it was much better than the owners other hotel, because I don't like to support slumlords.

• Liked — the mattress
  • Disliked — The owner
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
colorado
Reviewed 18 January 2009

we travel a lot. last night we came into flagstaff late and spotted little america on the freeway exit. why we did not go there i will never know.

instead we went across the highway to the econolodge, simply because it looked new. oh my goodness !! we paid $60.00 for a handicapped room with a "queen bed" NOT !! it was a double with a worn out matteress.

the carpet was so dirty it turned my white socks black, the bathroom was filthy with very little water pressure, (or volume) the worse was the heater that ran all night trying to heat the room, as the a/c ran all night at the same time.

complaints to the indian guy running the place were met with an attitude that " maintainance ain't my job" and went to "no habla"

in the morning, after about 3 hours of very expensive sleep, we tried to get in on what was advertised as a full breakfast. well, just read the other reviews. what was the worse ? the iching we have experienced since leaving.

if you are looking for a good place to stop and shower all the illegal imigrants you are transporting, then this might be your place. if you are looking for a clean, quiet, reasonably priced hotel, for goodness sake, keep moving. there isn't a motel 6 on earth that ain't better than this place.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the high price to stay in a dump !
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank rodeo1

Travellers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Phoenix
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I made a trip to Flagstaff last year with three boys and we stayed at a nicer place that had a pool and a hot breakfast. They wanted to go again this year, but the place we stayed last year was charging a lot, so I decided this place had an indoor pool and breakfast, and a suite for a low price, maybe it would be okay. We'd be outside most of the time anyway.

The upside...it was serviceable for the money. If you need a place that is somewhere to sleep and shower and you need to keep lodging costs low, you may find the low room price a good deal. This is a better place for someone passing through, or like me, making a one night getaway. If you are planning a destination or "big" vacation, you should probably set your sights on something with at least one more star in its rating.

The downside...don't go expecting for a fraction of the price to get a room that's similar to something costing much more.

I liked: the room (suite they call it) was big, had a freezer (no refrigerator, the appliance froze everything, like it or not) a microwave and coffee. It was not near train tracks, which is a plus in Flagstaff. It was clean enough. It was okay for the money. It had a baclony.

I didn't like: the room is advertised as a suite, but is really just a deluxe room. It is slightly bigger than other rooms and has the food prep area (microwave, not a stove). No couch or separate room. It is false advertising to call it a suite.

I had read the reviews on the breakfast and I was encouraged how many people liked it. It is stretching a point to call it a hot breakfast. If you like waffles, toast and danishes, you will be in heaven. If you can't make a breakfast out of those three items, you will find nothing else except cereal. The juice tasted a little off, and some guests mentioned it was worse the day before. If you book expecting to save money by filling up on breakfast there, remember it's waffles and toast.

The lady at the front desk was nice enough, another man who worked there ran around complaining out loud about the lack of help and felt free to scold my children who were looking around (not touching).

I discovered late in the stay by accident that the door to the room could be pushed open without a key, even when shut properly. I am lucky nothing came of it, and had no valuables, but if you go there, test your door.

• Liked — Clean room, no major flaws--a good alternative for anyone needing to cut lodging costs
  • Disliked — Disappointed in the hot breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank bakphoenix
Prescott, Az
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Claims to have hot breakfast, NOT even hot coffee is available.
Claims to have free weekday paper, NO
Claims to have breakfast at 6 am, Nobody around at 6, except the milk on counter left over from the COLD breakfast I had the day before.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Tucson
Reviewed 14 August 2008

The moment we went into The room, there were chips all over the floor. without unpacking, immediately told the front desk to clean it, they accused us of littering. They were very rude.

Cleaner was not present, Manager went into the room to clean. Since we were at the front desk, not knowing he went into the room without us...My Dog ran out of the room, because he didn't bother to shut the door. The Floor didn't appear any cleaner anyway....

Towels, Pillow cases, Bedsheets and cabinet surfaces were really dirty.

Breakfast was horrible, no plates at all. Used paper towels instead. We ate out the next day.

Don't get cheated by looking at their exterior paint job. It wasn't worth staying there.

• Liked — Nothing...
  • Disliked — Everything..
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Yuma, AZ
Reviewed 5 July 2008

No a great hotel. The outside looks nice, but It's really an old poorly maintained hotel. They charged me $150 for a large room, (they call them suites). That was fine since it was last minute and July 4th weekend. The problem with this hotel is the little things. Very poor service, no iron in the room, I had to call the front desk and retrieve the iron from them. They wouldn't bring it up to me. The blow dryer provided was in very poor condition, and barely worked. The ironing board in the room was broken, I had to jury-rig it by moving a chair and some other objects under it. The coffeemaker in the room was on its last legs, and the complimentary continental breakfast provided consisted of apples, waffles, cereal, packaged danishes, coffee and juice.. I would not recommend this hotel unless the rate was under $60.00. At that rate I would consider it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Poor service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank dcalab
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed 15 June 2008

Econo Lodge was the only Hotel nice enough to offer our family a discounted rate for our uncles funeral. We had a lot of people comming from different parts of Arizona. Each family was given a 2 bed room for $ 50.00 a night. Other hotel in this class were going for much more. All the kids enjoyed the indoor heated pool and there is a jacuzzi. The location is easy accesss to the freeway and interstate, but we did not hear any traffic or train niose. The hot breakfast is waffles that you make yourself (not frozen) two kinds of cereal from a dispensor and bagels. The rooms were clean and the staff nice enough. Did not see any homless outside our hotel but at some close by.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Continental Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family