“Cool Old Hotel in the Heart of Flagstaff”
Review of Weatherford Hotel

Weatherford Hotel
Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Austin, Texas
“Cool Old Hotel in the Heart of Flagstaff”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights during the 2012 Pickin' in the Pines Bluegrass Festival. I attended NAU in the 70's so am no stranger to Flagstaff. The Weatherford is not for everybody. It's old, refurbished, yet still a little funky. The staff is wonderful, very personable and friendly. While the rooms are small they are very clean, no A/C, but hey, I was there in September and Flagastaff sits at 6900 feet in the DRY Arizona air, so no biggie, summertime might be a little uncomfortable. There was a fan that fit perfectly in the old style lift-up window. Once raised, it provided ample ventilation. Some reviews complain about the noise from the bar but it never bothered me. I am a chronic overpacker" so getting my duffle bag up theree flights of stiars to my room (no elevator) could "have killed me at 59, but Jesse at the front desk had it up there pronto. Again, outstanding service. And,, as they say, Location, Location, Location. You can walk anywhere and drink as much as you want, without having to worry about driving (Flagstaff cops are DUI mongrels). So, no worries there!

Things that need improved:

NO WiFi: I could not use my iPad at all. This is a shame since they have such nice sitting areas. The staff will tell you that ther are WiFi sites available, but not really, they do not permeate inside the hotel walls. I would have gladly paid for an exclusive WiFi signal in my room and throughout the hotel. Come on man, it's 2012!

MORNING COFFEE: There are only 11 rooms and there is complimentary coffe for paying guests, BUT, you need to walk down 3 flights of stairs, go into Charly's Restaurant, try to find a waiter and ask for a cup, sort of feeling like a moocher. After all that, they bring you a nice cup of Joe, but no spoon, you have to hover over a table while you add cream, sugar, etc. then walk back up 3 flights to your room. SOLUTION: Spend the money and have a Guest Coffee Station on your wonderful 2nd floor lobby sitting area so guests may come and go as they please, in their jammies, to get some coffee.

PARKING: There are only about 6 spaces behind the hotel accomodating 11 rooms so this is a problem on the weekends when the 2 bars are featuring live music and locals mooch on the Guest Only parking spaces. I drove around for quite a while on a Saturday night after returning from the festival trying to find a street parking space. Not cool.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Roostrdude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed 10 August 2012

So we stayed here one night during a weekend trip and this place is awesome!! The history in this building alone is enough to make a non-history nerd excited. Luckily I am a history nerd and was excited at every turn. It reminds me of the Stanley Hotel, but smaller and happier.
All of the staff I met was amazing, but Shelly, the upstairs bartender, was fantastic!! She helped out with everything we needed, suggested cool places, and served us drinks!
The hotel isn't a quiet place on a weekend, so if you are looking for a nice and intimate time, this may not be it...but if want a place with life, fun and a story this is your place!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pearl C
Denton, TX USA
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This hotel is beautifully restored and has such wonderful atmosphere. If you think the place is pretty during the majority of the year, wait until they decorate for Christmas. The staff is also really friendly and helpful.

You need to be prepared for your stay here. In an effort to keep the place as historically based as possible, the rooms don't have televisions or phones, and some of the rooms share a bathroom down the hall with a shower, toilet, and sink. Our room had a sink and I believe a water pitcher and bowl, and the two authentic wrought-iron beds were essentially full-sized. However, if you're looking to stay in a place that isn't mainstream, this is a great historical place to go, as I said- if you're prepared for what you'll get. We actually enjoyed our night there, but what's keeping me from rating this hotel above average is the amount of light that shone into our room windows (the little ones above the door) from the hallway. They made the room fairly bright and it was difficult to sleep due to that.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Momma B
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I don't mind a room that smells so long as I can fall asleep. I don't mind not having a coffee maker nor a TV so long as I can fall asleep. I don't even mind the creaky mattress that takes me a little extra time to pass out on so long as I can get to the passed out point.

Its 1 in the morning as I write this and the loud music and the party down the hall shows no signs of abating. Usually loud means ambient noise or that the tenants are being rude but there's literally one of those pseudo ravish college dance floors going on less than 30 feet down the hall. And that this is an old building that's not really designed for noise isolation doesn't help.

I get that this is a great venue but 'loud' with no qualifications is dishonest at best. If you want the college experience of trying to sleep while your roommates are throwing a party, then this is that and more (except everything they play is exclusively Top 40, like the TGI Fridays variety).

Everything else is really nice though but this is a huge minus by my measure.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank wogzi

Travellers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed here after visiting the Meteor Impact site and having come from the Grand Canyon. The hotel is located in the middle of the historic downtown, We loved the live blues band who played in the bar and the colonial style balcony over looking the streets. Staff were friendly and helpful. We did not need AC in the room. In fact we liked the un-reconstructed charm of the hotel, and the convenience of being able to enjoy a few drinks and listen to the band without having to drive back to our accommodation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RobertIanKennedy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2012

First let's deal with the noise issue. Many of the older reviews mention train whistles. This is no longer an issue (a law was passed in 2010 prohibiting trains passing through Flagstaff from using their whistles). So you're not going to hear any trains (even though the Amtrak station is just down the street).

On the other hand, there are 2 bars in the hotel that feature live music. This you are going to hear (at night), no matter which room you're in. The type of music and how late the band plays depends on the night. I stayed on a Monday night and a blues band played in the main floor bar until midnight. I also stayed on a Thursday night and a jazz band played on the 3rd floor bar until 9pm (the latter was rather pleasant in fact, and I'm not even into jazz).

To be fair, when you reserve a room the staff almost try to talk you out of staying because of the live music, so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone (and wasn't to me).

Live music aside, I would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful (even offering me the use of their cell phone to make a local call) and the location can't be beat. Right downtown within easy walking distance of the Amtrak station.

As previously mentioned I stayed on 2 separate nights (a Mon and a Thu), both times in room #57. This is one of the rooms that shares a shower/bathroom. Both are right across the hall and if anyone else was using them during my stay(s) I was none the wiser. Everything was clean and well maintained. The room was more than adequate for my needs (I was travelling solo) and well stocked (towels, soap, shampoo, plastic cups, ice bucket).

Two minor complaints: You can't tell if the shared bathroom is in use so I took to knocking gently on the door before using my key. Also, the stopper for the sink in my room was missing. I asked the staff if they had a spare and surprisingly one could not be located (a minor nuisance really).

Also had breakfast at the hotel one of the mornings and it was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask how late the live music lasts for the nights you are staying. Unless you are a very heavy sleepe...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Gino B
Berrien Springs, Michigan
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This was just about the greatest entertainment, friendly people, and fantastic 1 nighter of my life. Not the 1 nighter in the classical guy-gal sense, but rather the most enjoyable 1 nighter hotel stay of my life. And my gal agrees! We danced all night long, enjoyed one of the best blues bands we have ever seen (and we have seen some good ones), met everyone in the band, and most of the other folks there. Special kudo to SAM, what a great musician, class act, and really good guy. The little room, #54, was too special to try to describe, but it was on 3rd floor, just off the bar and balcony, had a little window out to the balcony, was just as lovely, cute, special and romantic, as all get-out. In the morning I wandered over to 'Animas' and bought some lovely clothes for/with, my special lady. We had breakfast, wherein the talented and lovely Miss Brittany served us, and convinced us to go down to Sedona. I always have LOT OF WORDS, BUT THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH WORDS TO DESCRIBE THE TRULY UNIQUE, BEAUTIFUL LITTLE HOTEL. I can't get to Flagstaff too often (and I also loved this town), but ANYTIME I GET CLOSE, I WILL ~ WEATHERFORD. Larry & Josie from MI.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple