“100 YEAR OLD DUST PERVAILS”
Review of Weatherford Hotel

Weatherford Hotel
Ranked #34 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 13 January 2010

The Weatherford is a historical hotel in the center of Flagstaff, and so is its dirt in the rooms! Not only was our room rumored to have ghosts, but we also had the leftovers from those ghosts on the rug, behind the dressers, under the beds. Some of the rooms have been refurbished, but ours was in dire need of both a refurb (one broken window and neither of the two could be opened) and a scrub down. The shared shower was smaller than a shoe box and also untidy. we did want the old world charm but without the old world dirtiness! Not recommended for the faint of heart!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 October 2009

Ok, so you can't blame the hotel for the train noise by OMG, I'm a solid sleeper but couldn't sleep through the constant blaring train horns. First 'double room' was totally unacceptable - your average size 2 people could not sleep comfortably in a bed that size. Asked to upgrade to a bigger room. Got a suite. It was ok, but overall I found the hotel to be pretty gloomy. There was a man working on the roof outside our window which we weren't warned about either. Overall, staff were friendly, balcony bar was great, but felt a little 'under whelmed' overall for the price.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa_J_B
Reviewed 8 July 2009

The Weatherford Hotel is a fun place to stay! Be warned - you will NOT get a great nights' sleep - trains passing through every few minutes - blowing their whistles!! In my opinion, it added to the experience! The room was small - but everything was exactly as we were told it would be. The bar looked like fun, but we got in very late and were tired. Nice location - can walk to everything. Really, a simple, fun and reasonably priced place to stay (we had an $85 room). DO NOT expect a high end hotel....this is not "that kind" of place. But it certainly is worth the visit if you're willing to try it!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My wife and I stayed overnight at the end of a long camping trip so we could walk to the Amtrak station early in the morning to catch the train home. When I booked it, they were clear to point out the issues with the frequent trains and bands in the bar. I brought along ear plugs but we never needed them. Upon arrival, if was obvious that the restaurant wait staff were waiters first, hotels staff second, but they did fine. They gave us a room on the 3rd floor (no elevators). Hiking up with all our luggage was tough but they did offer to help. On the second floor we had to walk through a teachers conference to get to our room. The room is very small and the shower head is very low even though it looks like the bathrooms were put in recently. I would be leery of staying here in the hot summer time as the only cooling device was a box fan. We never heard any music that night and the train whistles did not wake us. Downtown Flagstaff is very eclectic as it is a college town and there were plenty of things to see. Overall, the room was good for our needs, a bit pricy for what you get, though.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Hi all, this is my first review so keep that in mind.

My fiance and I had a nice stay in Flagstaff at the historic Weatherford hotel. Emphasis on historic!
We booked one of the $130 rooms. So, the basic deal is double bed, small tv, bathroom with clawfoot tub.
Okay, so overall, I gave the hotel and room 3 stars.
Let's start with the room. We walked in and were blown away by the smell of Lysol/Pine sol. At least it's clean, but it was nauseating!
It was January and very cold out. The room was nice and toasty. In fact, it was a little hot. But, that's no biggie, because at least it wasn't cold.
The bed had a thin, white blanket on it and two pretty shabby pillows. Also, there were yellow stains all over the bedding. It didn't gross me out b/c it just looked like it was from the 1800s, not dirty, just old....The bed was too firm and rather uncomfortable, but not horrible.
The bathroom was cute, with a beautiful pedestal sink. The clawfoot tub is cute also, but there is no shower curtain and only a shower nozzle. No place to hook it or anything. Additionally, the clawfoot tub did not look sparkling, because it is old. I wouldn't say dirty, just old, small, and it was not desirable for a bath.
Overall, I think this room could still remain charming and historic if they built it around the beautiful pedestal sink. What I mean is: add a few pillows to the bed-2 more, some nice sheets or nicer comforter, add a hanging thing for the shower nozzle.
I think these things would add SO MUCH and not reduce the historic quality.
So, the hotel has two bars. One on the third floor and one on the bottom. There's food served too, which is good. Our goal this night was to go out around town, drink beer, and hang out. We are both 24 and the Weatherford's bars were a big reason we booked here.
Fiance and I had a great time. We went to dinner and came back for drinks...many drinks...we bounced back between the third floor and the first where a band was playing. It was packed and they were very good. Bartenders at both were quick and friendly. And, drinks are CHEAP. I think it was like about $4 for a beer. They also had some $2 specials.
Honestly, the hotel is fun, the location is hard to beat, and the service is excellent.
Would I stay here again, no. Maybe my standards are too high. I am used to luxury hotels. But, I can honestly say my expectations were not high and it wasn't a terrible experience. It's just that the room did not do enough for me....I read the reviews and for me, it wasn't charming, it felt like I was in my grandma's house. She's 94 and hasn't updated since the 40's! :)
Overall, the Weatherford is a definite must stop at to go out and if you need a room with a central location, well, then it's a plus. But, for the price I expected a little bit more, like I mentioned above.
WORD OF WARNING: Get the earplugs. I didn't. It was awful. They told us about the train noise over and over. So, it's not the hotel's fault and did not affect my review in any way. But, I barely slept combined with a hot room, 1 pillow, and the train, it was not a fun night for sleep. I think earplugs would help tremendously.
Hope this helps someone!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luvstotravel25
Reviewed 20 July 2008

Family stayed @ hotel during July 4th weekend. Had a blast...room was very large, claw foot tub was small. Bed was nice firm. Breakfast very good. Well worth the stay & would stay again.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 28 February 2008

Loved our stay in this classic building with 2 great bars, restaurant, wraparound balcony and location in the heart of downtown Flagstaff!! Yes, it is old, yes the rooms are small, but with a European feel, and I loved the fact that live music and friendly people filled the place. I have not stayed here on a hot summer night without a/c (does it really get "hot" in Flagstaff??), but the charm, reasonable price and location make it perfect for a weekend trip, to me. Definitely not where I would bring the kids, but great for singles and couples traveling that like to get away from "cookie cutter" hotels.

Will return again and again!!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple