“Not Up To Par”

Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Thousand Oaks
“Not Up To Par”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We chose this hotel because of it's central location to some of the places we planned to visit during our trip. I have to say that my wife and I were very disappointed in the hotel. This is not up to the same standard as other Holiday Inn Express hotels. Aside from the included breakfast, the room was not clean. The carpet and sofa were old and stained. There were marks on the walls and it appears run down and old. The bed appears to be newer, however it was not very comfortable as compared to other hotels. I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The hotel runs alongside the freeway, Make sure you know where your room is located if you need quie...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We booked this room almost two weeks in advance and when we got there we wanted to pay in cash. The girl told us it was $120 MORE than what the website said. $100 was for "damages" and I guess they charge an extra $20 for holidays. Apparently they could take our cash and hold our card for damages, so the girl (Nikki) said she would put a note in the computer to hold our card, not charge us until we checked out and we could come pay cash. When we went down to pay they had already charged our card. Heather then told us our card had been charged when we reserved the room two weeks prior! Who does that! So I checked my account and it had been charged the day we checked in. Holiday in should put on their website that they charge for "damages". I understand I would get my money back, but we were on vacation did not budget for it. Stayed at a Comfort Inn after we checked out of here, it was nicer, cheaper and we didn't get charged for "damages." Will never stay in a Holiday Inn again!

1 Thank Connie C
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The staff was very friendly!! They greeted me as Priority Club member and offered me snacks and water for my room. The rest was all downhill.

HIE or the owner of this hotel should be ashamed! This is one of the shabbiest establishments I have visited in years. I travel for business and pleasure about twice a month for 4-5 days at a time. I will never stay at this place again and I will have to think twice about HIE at other locations.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank capitolJC
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear capitolJC,

Thank you very much for being a Priority Club member and for writing us a review. I am very happy to know that you like the friendliness of our staff. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I would like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so I have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again on your future stays.

Anthony M
Case Manager
Dripping Springs, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Flagstaff for 1 night in May 2012. This is the loudest hotel I've ever stayed in and I would not stay here again. Not only does the hotel back to Highway 40, but it also backs to the train tracks. Not only can you hear the train, you can also hear the dinging of the railroad crossing guards. The doors slam on the rooms when someone leaves, which woke me up numerous times. The air conditioner in the room was also very loud, but served the purpose of blocking out some of the road and train noise. We all slept horribly. The decor of this hotel is very nice. The beds in our room both had firm and comfortable mattresses. The free breakfast was very good and included pre-made omelets, biscuits & gravy, pancakes, fruit, cereal, yogurt, bacon, sausage, juices, milk and coffee. I would not recommend this hotel. If you do stay here, pick a room on the opposite side of the freeway. The room was also very expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the opposite side of the highway/train tracks.
1 Thank teachkindy
Dear teachkindly,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I am so glad that you like your room accommodations and our breakfast options. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I would like to offer my apologies for the experience you had due to outside noises. I understand the discomfort this has caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to serve you again on your next future stay.

Anthony M
Case Manager
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This hotel is in a good spot, the rooms are nice, the staff all very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again. Breakfast, parking and wifi were all included. The only suggestion we have would be that more than one guest washer and dryer might be needed for a facility of this size.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MasterBry
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Was not sure what to expect based on other posted reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. We had two rooms. We were checked in right away, our rooms were clean and spacious, comfortable beds, nice bathroom. Looked updated actually. We were planning to drive up to Grand Canyon the next day so a good breakfast was important. It was a good breakfast with fruits, cereals, pre cooked eggs, sausages, make your own pancakes, coffee, juices etc. The dining area attendant was also very attentive. Will not hesitate to book this hotel again. Only suggestion is they have better signage to get to the hotel.

Sun Valley, ID
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here last minute on a trip to the Grand Canyon. We felt lucky to get a room, as we weren't sure how busy town was going to be, and the parking lot was full. We picked the Hotel Inn Express because other ones we have stayed at have been new, clean, and with friendly staff....that wasn't exactly the case here. The front desk staff couldn't answer basic questions about what was nearby to see, do, or dine...and they weren't welcoming or friendly. I'm not sure how old the hotel was, and it certainly wasn't falling down by any means, but it wasn't new and shiny either. The hallways were narrow and dark. Our room was very clean and worked well for one night on the road. Through trial and error we were able to find a very nice Whole Foods-type grocery store in a development about a mile away. The hotel was quiet, and conviently located to the freeway. The next morning we discovered we were close to the Visitors Center, downtown (which had a few blocks of cute feel to it), and most importantly for us-the road to the Grand Canyon. I would say if you're on the road and just need somewhere to sleep, this is a good option. If you're looking for a place to stay while you're in town for a few days, not so much.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SawtoothClub
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear SunValleyGirl08,

Thank you for advising us of your dissatisfaction towards our Front Desk service. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience or negative impression this might have caused you. I understand why you are disappointed, let me assure you that this is not our usual level of service. Our management has taken note of this and proper action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature will not reoccur in the future.

Again, thank you for all your comments which help us identify areas of improvement. We hope to welcome you back to be able to demonstrate to you the true Holiday Inn Expressl service.

Regards,