“It's Alright...”

Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Decided to escape the Phoenix heat and head to Flagstaff for the weekend, and found the local Holiday Inn Express, which at times can be hit or miss. This one was, well, alright.

Checking was painless and the staff was quite friendly. Plus they had cookies out, so I am easy to win over. The room was clean and well made when we got there. About the size and the amenities one would expect from a HIE, including the tiny fridge and the tiny couch in the Single King standard room.

The hotel is in a somewhat commercial and industrial area with I-40 on one side and the train tracks on the other. We had a freeway facing room and I found there to be very little road noise. On the train facing side, the trains are frequent, but don't blow their horn through town either, though I I don't know how loud the rest of the train noise gets.

The real downside was the bed, which is probably the most important aspect of any hotel. There was still the firm and soft pillows on the bed, but they seemed really old and lumpy. It took a lot of folding and bunching just to make them comfortable. The mattress its self felt like it was plastic. It was pretty hard (not firm, but hard) and its self kind of lumpy as well. It reminded me of a king size version of my college dorm mattress, which is not a good thing. Needless to say, it wasn't the best night's sleep. Oh, I've stayed on plenty worse mattresses at other hotels, but this was not the quality sleep I've come to expect from the Holiday Inn Express brand.

The breakfast was standard Holiday In Express fare, if you been to one before, you will know exactly what to expect.

Room Tip: Odd Number rooms are the south side, I-40 facing. Even number rooms are north side, train facing...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Dear Andrew B,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and amenities.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the bed. I understand the discomfort this caused you. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff

Reviewed 19 August 2012

I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Expresses and generally have been pleased with them. While I would not say this place was awful, it needs some TLC. The building, in my humble opinion,is ugly. Parts of the public areas are dingy and worn looking, with dirty carpets. While I was not in the mood to complain, when I entered the room, the TV was on, a cushion was askew, and there was no coffee. Now I do not want to be too critical of guest room attendants, because I do appreciate the hard job they do, but the room really wasn't presented too well. The floor lamp was sitting unplugged in a spot across the room from the chair where I needed it for reading, so I was rearranging furniture. Get the picture?
On the positives, the front desk folks were very nice and assisted me sending a fax.
This is one of the more negative reviews I've written. I had just come from the Kimpton Firesky in Scottsdale, which is a horse of a different color. Maybe that has something to do with my letdown! As another reviewer indicated, it is overpriced for what one gets. I don't mind staying in older, seen better days motels sometimes if the rate is right. But, for $129, this customer was not too thrilled. Anyway, I am now buying a home in Flagstaff, so it looks like that was my last hotel night here!

Room Tip: There are better places to stay in Flagstaff.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The front desk staff was very rude. The pool was closed all weekend for lightning....even though there was NO lightning at all. The beds were very hard. We would not come back again. The free morning breakfast smelled horrible and tasted worse. So disappointing since it cost us $300 for 2 nights.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank SusanGoody
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Flagstaff, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear SusanGoody,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your feedback is very important to us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel front desk may have caused as well as the condition of the pool, uncomfortable beds and breakfast options. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Not suree where some of the other reviews come from, most likely people that would be unhappy anywhere. The rooms were clean, bright, same for the lobby. The check in process was quick. The pool is partially outside with chairs for those that want to sunbathe, but you can also stay inside. Internet was quick enough to be able to watch a Netflix movie and it was free. Free breakfast is what it is. Enough selection to get you going, not a 4 star restaurant. If you want a place you can go to and know what to expect in regards to standards, this is the place. It ain't the Ritz, it's a Holiday Inn Express.

Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We were just passing through Flagstaff and went for the Holiday Inn as it is a known chain. Hotel was fine - room was clean and comfy - we were only there for 1 night so were very happy. There is a Denny's across the car park

Complimentary breakfast was ok, although very busy.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (HIE) in Flagstaff, AZ for two nights starting on 7-27-12. The cost was $158.00 per night for HIE, a three star property! $89.00 is more in line with this hotel. But it was the only place that had the availability we needed. While the room itself was clean and somewhat updated, the common areas are in need of repairs in the least and major remodel in the most. There are many other places in Flagstaff that have better accommodations for the same or less money. Do your homework.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrTinPhoenix
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We checked in and found the tv cannel for the Olympics was not working. After trying to fix the problem Karrie Messer found another available room and graciously moved us. She was such a caring person and a wonderful representative for Holiday Inn. She gave us a WOW

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple