“Not Our Usual Hilton Honors Experience” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Payson, Arizona
“Not Our Usual Hilton Honors Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I guess I've officially become a hotel snob! We usually have great Hilton experiences, so when it is not as great, it stands out. In truth, this hotel is perfectly fine, but my expectations have become what I am normally accustomed to. So what were the shortcomings here? At check-in, while the clerk was very friendly, we had to ask for the chocolate chip cookies. I know you will laugh at that one, but I was looking forward to it! Then no bottled water was offered. Perhaps there was some free in the room, but I was heading out right away. Then no snacks were in the room as we are accustomed to. Sorry, but we've been spoiled. More importantly though, it was very difficult to sleep with the air conditioner coming on and going off as it reached its requested temperature. This is a problem at other cheaper hotels too, but at least this one had a "fan on" function that eliminated the on/off madness. Granted it was a little loud, but it became "white noise" and helped to drown out any noise from the hallway. Unfortunately at 6:00 a.m. the hotel fire alarm went off, waking everyone. It turned out a hotel guest had burned toast in the breakfast area, so there was smoke. I can't fault the hotel for the actions of a guest, but the detectors must be awfully sensitive to go on for such a simple matter. To the hotels credit, they did get the fire alarm off fairly quickly, so most guests just returned to bed, not worrying any longer. But we were up, so decided to go have breakfast. This was definitely the highlight of the stay. Wait staff was extremely friendly and attentive, and the breakfast buffet had a wonderful selection of hot and cold breakfast items. I'm sure we will return someday, but we might see if there is another Hilton property first.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
granite_hotelmgr, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience and please accept my sincere apologies that we failed to meet your expectations. I would like to get additional feedback about your experience so I can fix the AC unit in your guest room but also get additional information so I can follow up with my team to provide the proper training and follow up to make sure we are delivering a high level of service with every interaction with our guests.

I would also like to apologize for the fire alarm that occurred at 6am. I was called in to assist as well and in terms of disruption to our guests did have a negative impact and I apologize for this incident. In regards to the sensitivity of our smoke detectors the croissant got wedged in the toaster and it took my team a couple minutes to get it from the toaster and from my understanding the smoke was intense in the area over the buffet for several minutes.

In regards to the DoubleTree Cookie it should always be the first thing that is offered upon arrival and I have already followed up with my team on the importance of offering the cookie upon arrival. After following up with my team, I learned due to the number of softball teams and other groups in town my kitchen had some challenges keeping up with the demand for cookies this weekend. I have discussed with my chef for these busy summer weekends to have more prepared in advance to keep up with the demand.

Thanks again for this valuable feedback and this past weekend was a learning experience for my team and we are making internal adjustments to make sure we continue to deliver a high level of service every day for our guests to enjoy. Your comments are valid and this is great information for me to work out some of issues with my team. Thanks again.

Michael Rock - General Manager
DoubleTree By Hilton Flagstaff
1175 W. Route 66
Flagstaff, AZ. 86001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were a little worried when we arrived to find that a bus load of folks was checking in ahead of us but we were impressed with the quick and efficient front desk staff and their handling of the group. We never felt that the hotel was not ready for what seemed to be a busy Friday night. We were checked in quickly. Also, we had a dog with us and were a bit concerned when we were told that our room was in the 'back building' as we might be getting the least attractive room. Not so. Our room was clean and attractive (and quiet!) and the hotel grounds offered a place to sit outside and relax in the evening. The Doubletree was right on Route 66 and just a few minutes from the 'city square' which was a fun, dog-friendly place to be on a Friday night. A very pleasant stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and our lovely community of Flagstaff. The downtown square is definitely the place to be during the summer months on weekend evenings - summer movie nights, concerts, art and so much more!
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a mixed review. The rooms were nice size, clean and relatively comfortable. The exception were the abysmal pillows -- Four pillows together were so soft as to provide no support. Others among the travel group concurred. The staff were friendly and accommodating. But -- gasp -- the Doubletree cookies were not available at check-in. I had raved about them to a colleague who'd never stayed before. Sadly, the promised cookie delivery to his room never materialized. Sad, really.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms #X14. Your view is a wall.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your review. We are pleased that you found our rooms comfortable (with the exception of the pillows, which we are looking into additional pillow options inroom).

Michael Rock
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Flagstaff
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Overnight stay after visiting the Grand Canyon (easy drive to and from GC), easy check-in and clean rooms/bathrooms. Room had all the amenities we needed and the bed was comfortable enough.

Plenty of free parking available - didn't use any of the other services on offer. Short drive to the old and new parts of Flagstaff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for including the DoubleTree by Hilton Flagstaff on your Grand Canyon adventure! We appreciate the feedback.
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The new Hilton, formerly the Doubletree, was a wonderful place to hold a conference. The room was spacious and clean, the onsite eatery was roomy, staff was gracious and the food was tasty. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful. I'll stay there again if I have the chance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the recommendation.
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Abysmal - rooms not ready when we arrived - dining experience diabolical - coeliacs beware - no understanding or apparent concern to accomodate requirements of gluten-free diet - no lessons learnt at dinner - same lack of interest at breakfast next morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your insight on your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that our dining experience didn’t meet your expectations and we’re taking your recommendations to improve our menu. Our guest reviews give us valuable information to deliver the best dining experience possible to all of our guests, and we appreciate your feedback about more gluten-free options. Please visit us again the next time you’re in the area, and tell us how we’re doing. Thank you.
Scottsdale, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this property. Clearly the front office staff was trying very hard to deliver quality service. And while house keeping staff did deliver a crib and xtra towels promptly to my room the daily service was well below standard. The bath tub was not cleaned at all, towels that had been left on the floor were hung back up as if they were fresh, coffee mug was not replaced and coffee supply was inadequately restocked. Also, my breakfast tray was left in the hallway all day, not cleared until I requested. My room service breakfast was not delivered on time, until I called and said cancel it, english muffin to on the tray, no salt & pepper, barely 1.5 cup coffee in a large pot, but silverware for 2. I was happy with the bed and room generally. And was glad I had a suite as a friend and child needed a bed to sleep in on Saturday and the staff was very helpful in setting that up. On the 4th floor a dog was barking in the room next door.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family