“Great affordible place to stay”

Howard Johnson Flagstaff I-40 East Lucky Lane
Ranked #51 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This trip to Flagstaff was entirely for the purpose of taking my son to NAU and getting him set up in the dorm We were on a very tight budget. Our only needs were to have a clean , quiet and safe place to stay.

Started out by confirming our room on the Friday before. The woman on the phone was friendly. Even know I did not book directly with the hotel or hotel website she asked me if I had any more requests besides the non-smoking and 2 queen beds. I told her just a quiet room.

Upon arrival we were quickly greeted and given our room. We were given room 215 on the 2nd floor. This room is located away from the office and closer to the street. The other side of the building is closer to both a street and the interstate. We found our room to be both quiet and clean. The beds were covered with yellow toned floral prints. I noticed in some of the other rooms the bed spreads were just yellow.
Noise could be heard from the street if you left the window open at night. Train noise is very minimal in my opinion. The trains aren't using their horns/whistles in town. The only train noise that I did hear was that of the wheels on the track. I kind of liked the sound. Lulled me to sleep. The ac worked great as well.

This room was a 2 bed queen room. It looked as though it had been updated some time recently. The bed was a very comfortable pillow top bed. The pillows were average and the bedding was average. The setup of this room was good. It had a small round table with 2 chairs at the window next to the ac/heater. The two beds in a row with a low dresser drawers with a tv on top of it. (older style tv, but still worked just fine and got quite a few channels for free). Next to that was a refrigerator with a microwave on top of it. The only complaint I had here was that someone found a need to unplug the fridge and it smelled. Bought a small box of baking soda and solved this issue.

Finally, there was a vanity sink area. There was a small coffee pot with the fixings as well. The shower toilet area was to the left of vanity through a separate door. A small bar of soap, lotion and shampoo were left for guest use. They were San Francisco brand. Par for a 2 star joint there was nothing impressive about the towels, but they were plentiful and more were available upon request.

There was laundry facilities available for guests. They required quarters, which were avail at the front desk. Laundry soap and dryer sheets could also be purchased from a machine inside the laundry room. This location also has a heated outdoor pool. It was not heated very warm, but it was heated. The pool is open until 10pm during pool season. We found it to be refreshing and as clean as can be expected.

The location was pretty good. Several restaurants within walking distance. There is also a Walmart within Walking distance. This Walmart is ok in a pinch, but if you want decent service and a variety of products go to the bigger Walmart near campus. About 5 minutes by car to historic downtown and maybe 10 to campus. Found several ways back and forth after making so may trips.

There was a safe in the room that we did not use as well. We just hung the do not disturb sign most of the time or took our valuables with us so that housekeeping could clean the room.

Asked for late check out, the latest they could offer was 12 instead of 11. Since I had a late flight and nothing particular to do, I opted for this. Check out was quick. Was not provided with a receipt since I had booked with a third party, but was told that I had no outstanding charges.

At the front desk they had many brochures on places to go, etc. They also had a rack with cards for discounts for food places. Wish I would have noticed this sooner. I could have used the 15% off Sizzler. All in all this was a good motel to stay at. It looks alot better that some of the other places in the same area. You will find this Hojo's between Super 8 and Quality Inn. The signage is very poor. So look for the Super 8 sign to know when to turn in the lot. Also, WiFi was free. You could easily pick up Hojo's, Super 8 or Quality Inn's WiFi. A bit on the slow side at times, but again, free. Also each morning was a free continental breakfast. Make you own waffles, toast, small bagels. Apples and bananas. Orange and apple juice. Coffee, tea, and milk. Assorted doughnuts. The space if cramped but if you are on a budget like us, take advantage of it. We managed to just buy dinner meals and save money. We bought stuff to make sandwiches at lunch and used the free breakfast. Worked out really well.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank familyoutdoors

Reviewed 13 August 2011

Easy in and easy out. Clean and simple. That was what we were expecting from the hotel to be.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

For $68.00 dollars I got a clean room in a hotel that was kind of hard to locate. It's right off the highway,but the exit ramps and one way streets make it a little difficult to access. The a.c. worked fine. It's right down the road from a Walmart. The pool is very near the exit ramp, so it's noisy. Not great,but still recommended

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Great location kind of old rooms but good overall. The bathroom was clean and the room had fridge, sink and safe box.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Not far from the Grand Canyon. Amazing mountain view. It was very affordable. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We arrived late and just wanted a nice firm bed to sleep on. The room was clean and the vanity area was large. The bathroom was small but clean - no complaints. The best part was the quietness and firm matress - we slept well. The location of the property is nice as it's off the main freeway which makes it quite...however, we had a little trouble finding the right street to turn onto in order to get to the property. Once we got past that issue the rest was ok. This isn't a high class property but if you're looking for a quiet clean room to sleep in at a good price...this is the place.

Room Tip: Smaller room but very clean and nice bed - you'll sleep well
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This is a budget motel and it was cheap. The first room we were given smelled of rotting vegetables. We asked for another room and we were given one right next to a noisy generator. The overall state of the hotel is shabby and dirty with the bins outside looking like they have never been cleaned. Even the handrails were sticky. The pool was next to the freeway and not appealing. Don't come for that. Given this we didn't even attempt breakfast! I would find somewhere closer to life in Flagstaff next time and pay a bit more.

• Stayed: July 2011