“short 2 night stay while stopping at the Grand Canyon”

Howard Johnson Flagstaff I-40 East Lucky Lane
Ranked #52 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“short 2 night stay while stopping at the Grand Canyon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

My Mother and I drove from Colorado to California and we stopped here for 2 nights to make a quick stop at the Grand Canyon. It was perfect for what we had in mind! We had a double queen room so each of us had their own bed, we enjoyed the heated pool at night before going to bed and it was easy getting arround to the Grand Canyon. Should I ever do this trip again this will be the place for me to stay!

Room Tip: Only 1 hour drive to Grand Canyon
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

Nine hours of driving from Los Angeles via Route 66 gave this reviewer plenty of time to worry about my first ‘HoJo’ experience. How wrong I was. First impression of the room was extremely favorable. Impressive even. Remember one tends to manage expectations when it comes down to low end hotel chains and the stereotypes they can throw up. Do so here, but I actually found mine exceeded. Usual format for my reviews: room itself, the good, the bad, the conclusion. If in the area again, I would be back. And, with one caveat, would urge others to consider it.

The room? Basic. Clean. Generic. For this price point, manage expectations down. It is a HoJo after all. Bed was comfortable, fridge was empty and of a good size. The room had a microwave in it together with in room safe and iron. Useful. Wifi was free with no password required and worked at good speeds. Ample parking available. Towels were on the rough side, though not approaching sand paper. The TV was not bolted down to the stand which I took to be a good sign. Floor was free from marks. Room A/C old school but efficient.. A lot of tourist literature, snack machines available 24/7. Breakfast is normally included though healthy options were limited. It is c70 miles south of the Grand Canyon. There is an Albertsons / Starbucks 5 minutes drive up the road.

The good?
1. Good size fridge, microwave and free wifi for an extremely competitive price point. Wifi is a pet peeve of this reviewer and this hotel offers decent, albeit basic, facilities.
2. Price point: This reviewer has stayed at several lower end hotels and this one left a very favorable impression given what the rack rate is. Book on the hotel website as it had the best deal(s). Given the purpose of the trip was to photograph northern Arizona, and I had a car, it proved an excellent base.

The bad?
1. Location. Other reviews claim to be able to hear I 40 noise. It is audible, yes, but not overly so in this reviewers opinion. The issue is truck’s use their air brakes when exiting the 1 40. Tip to get around this is ask for ‘middle’ of the hotel, not either end: one end has said I 40 whilst the other has train tracks seem to move freight goods towards Los Angeles 24/7. To be fair, that is not the hotel’s fault. It is also worth noting that several other budget(ish) hotels (Super 8, a Holiday Inn, Motel 6 among others) are all congregated in the area (Exit 198) so they have the same will all have the problem. Here is the caveat I mentioned. Ring ahead and request a room in the ‘middle’ and this problem is somewhat negated.
2. Linked into the above, which the hotel cannot control, it is worth noting ‘downtown’ Flagstaff is a 7~10 minute drive away. It would take 20~30 minutes to walk. Amtrak station is in the middle of Flagstaff and is too far to walk too in this reviewers opinion.
3. Other reviews have mentioned front office staff that, to be kind, are a bit hit and miss. This reviewer concurs: two hits and one miss for me. Check in was gruff, check out was nice. Still. It’s the room I care about not a harried front desk. .

Conclusion? This reviewer would return. Its location is not something that it can help and let’s face it, most people who come to Flagstaff – in itself a delightful little town – have a car. For the price point, outstanding for a short stay. 140 mile round trip to the Canyon is an hour each way, but manageable. Lots of options a mere 10 minutes away in downtown Flagstaff mean this hotel demands a second look.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the MIDDLE of the hotel.. Doesn't matter whether that would be up or down stai...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Page
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed here on our way to phoenix for a dr. visit. The bed was the most comfortable i have ever had staying in a hotel. Very nice, staff was friendly, overall it was a great room @ a great price!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

HOUSTON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

Most hotels we stay in have a computer that we can use to access our business and print our airline tickets on. My wife sells Real Estate and could not access her programs because the computer and programs were so outdated. She left her laptop at home because every where we stay always has a great computer with access to a printer. We will have to start asking that question in the future when we make our reservations. The personnel were very helpful, rooms clean. It was actually a quite area even though near businesses. We would definitely return to this motel if not for the computer access.

NORTH HOLLYWOOD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I enjoyed the stay as the hotel was way above what I expected and the staff on dluty was neat and very pleasant to deal with. The young lady on duty went out of her way to make us feel welcome and comforable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is an older motel and it shows, but it was perfectly clean and safe. My husband needed an extension cord for his C-PAP machine near the bed and the attendant brought us one within minutes of our request. It is well priced for the location, and surrounded by several higher priced motels. We are satisfied with our choice, and hoping room 103 gets a new mattress soon. It was way too "broken in" for our backs. That would be our only complaint.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

1 night at ho jo on way to grand canyon via sedona. Was surprised at the standard of room, was excellent, clean, and large, comfortable beds, only negative was that the safe was closed so went to reception and young lady came to open it, we only wanted to put i pad in while we went for tea, on getting bill on check out we were charged 1dollar 50 for the privelige. Whether this was for opening or using it i dont know, but i think the hotel closes the safe and if it is opened they treat it as used. But will stay again if in area. Microwave free wi fi.