“Great Hotel”

Sonesta ES Suites Flagstaff
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of March, have to confirm the other reviews this is a great hotel. Checkin was very professional and welcoming. Our room was huge with an open fireplace, we heeded previous reviews and didn't light it though as the room heating was adequate. Full kitchen, televisions in both bedrooms and the lounge, very comfortable, easy access to the Interstate although a little out of the main part of Flagstaff. Good breakfast selections, with nicest scrambled eggs we have had at a hotel, everything fresh and replenished during serving time.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 26 February 2008

We booked this hotel and got a good rate. Theres lots of space being we had a family of 7 the two bedroom came in handy. the breakfast was nice with make your own waffles and meats, eggs and fruit. The kids loved it. There was plenty of snow out and they have a dog park with hills that my kids thought they would sled down but we soon found out that peop[e were not picking up after their dogs. My kids were sledding and running into dog droppings it was gross. We left and went to the local mountain area instead for snow play. We had a fireplace in the room, the beds were comfy and it was convienient to have a kitchen to put milk and juice or make a quick lunch. The staff was accomadating they brought up the extra blankets right away when we requested. And also the jacuzzi was open but we did not get to use it besides it was very cold on the weekend that we stayed out there. We definately will stay here agin next winter. But please dont let your kids go sledding in the dog park it was really messy.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I've stayed here about 8 times while driving back and forth between DFW and San Francisco. I was really surprised by this hotel.

First, if you're not familiar with the area, Flagstaff is really heavily wooded and sort of hilly terrain with skiing not too far away. Sedona is nearby, but I never had time to make it over there. I was pleasantly surprised by the natural beauty of the area.

For a pet owner or family, this spot is particularly great. They have a huge enclosed area for pets to run around and not just take care of business. It's the only exercise my poor dog gets when I make that 30 hour drive. Kids can run around and play ball in the same area b/c they require you to clean up after your pet (a good thing).

This hotel is one of the older Residence Inns, but it is well maintained. It won't knock your socks off with granite, etc, but it is a nice place. I've been in a couple of rooms where plumbing was showing it's age, etc, but nothing worth complaining about. A lot of the rooms have fireplaces, which can be important b/c Flagstaff can really be chilly at times (and winter temps come sooner than you think).

It is near the few places to eat in Flagstaff and the mall is right across the highway. I generally try to plan my trip to spend a little more time here, as it's pretty relaxing.

They have the happy hour and snacks during the week, which is super nice. The hot breakfast is standard Marriott fare -- biscuits, eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, oatmeal, yogurt.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank marihelen
Reviewed 5 January 2008

I highly recommend this hotel. I have absolutely no complaints and my recent trip is my 3rd trip to this hotel. I rent this room for my family and friends while we ski nearby at Snow Bowl every year. We rent the 2 bedroom suite, which comes with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a kitchen, fireplace, and pull out couch. It's nice having the entire family together in one room.

The room is clean, quiet, and well maintained. The kitchen was remarkably clean. I find most kitchens in hotel suites are run down. The fireplace was a nice touch. However, the log they provide is impossible to light. Bring your own logs. They provide this log to prevent people from having roaring fires in the hotel room.

The breakfast was excellent. It has eggs, waffle machine, meat, and the usual breakfast items. This is always a nice touch in the morning.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank BobAdams111
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Stayed at the Residence Inn as a "home base" for our day trips to Sedona, Wupatki Indian Monument, Sunset Crater Volcano and Barringer Meteor Crater. Traveled with family of 4, kids aged 9 & 11. Hotel is close to the freeway and the mall and is a quick 5 min ride to the historic Route 66 downtown Flagstaff. Room was large, clean and nicely decorated. Bed had lots of pillows and was comfy. Internet was easy to access and worked great. Window looked out onto a snowy field. Breakfast buffet had a good selection of options: eggs, sausage, croissants or tortillas, make-your-own waffles, cereal, doughnuts, bagels, fruit and granola. Beverages included coffee, tea, cocoa, milk, orange juice and apple juice. They also offered happy hour and family dinner nights. Full kitchen in room was useful for prepping lunches and snacks. Living room area with couch, chair, coffee and side tables gave plenty of room for family board games. Even had separate area with desk and chair for laptop and paperwork. Residence Inn facilitated a great, funfilled vacation for the whole family.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank micdenton
Reviewed 2 January 2008

Family of four (husb, wife, 13 y/o and 6 y/o kids)

Date: 2 nights 12/30/07 - 1/1/08

Room: 521 - 2nd floor- unit is just adjacent to the hotel's mini park area. Studio suite with fireplace, full kitchen, full bath.

We paid $130 per night for the 'family getaway package" - although I know I paid more than I usually would have, Given that it's the holiday season, what the heck - went ahead and booked it... The package basically includes a one time coupon of free large pizza w/ 2 liter soda. You use the coupon after you check-in. Mama Mia pizza place is just around the corner next to Bank of America. Save yourself $3 delivery charge and just go pick it up yourself :)

Room: basic, but clean. Ample pillows, blankets, towels. Basic toiletries - didn't use theirs because we are used to traveling so we basically had everything we needed.

TV: most channels are available. HGTV, Cartoon Network, CNN, etc.

Kitchen: good for family of four. Plates, silverware, etc are at your disposal. full size dishwasher, full size microwave. Although we didn't cook anything, this would be great for those families who would prepare their own meals during travel,etc. Nice touch: they have kitchen towels, small amt of dishwashing detergent, dishwashing liquid, etc.

Fireplace: gave us more trouble than anything. There was a log ready to be used when we got in. DH started it, and I think it's too damp or something it gave a suffocating smoke into our little room. It was some cheap compressed cardboard flame log. DH took it outside and buried in the snow. I will not get a room w/ a fireplace next time - Also, the heating unit is so intense our mouths were so dry! Nope, you don't need a fireplace with a heater that hot! ... most of the time, we set it to 65 degrees to make it more comfortable.

Breakfast: 630-930am in the breakfast room next to the lobby. Several tables available. They opened the meeting room area for extra breakfast seating while we were there. Omelet, sausage, make your own waffle, croissant, muffins, oatmeal, fruits, cereal - and all the beverages you want. Good enough for us. This alone saved us $20-30 per day.

Check-in was easy. We requested extra bed sheets for the kids and they came within 5 minutes of my request.

We went to Flagstaff to ski and we found this hotel to suit our needs. Far enough from the train noise - although I swear I heard it (albeit very distant!) - yet still close enough to where we needed to go. Tip: get the disoverymap from the hotel lobby - they will show you how to get to the ski area without having to go back down I40 into town, with all the traffic.

Overall, loved it. We will definitely come back again. Next time I will book the two room suite - DH snores too loud, kids could not sleep :)

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank zonitraveler
Reviewed 28 December 2007

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel twice, and had very good experiences both times. We always book the 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite which has the full kitchen and relaxing living room area with fire place. There is a large free breakfast, and they have a free snack of some sort every evening (different food depending on the day of the week). We have not had any problems. The staff is very friendly, the internet access is very good, and the kitchen is well stocked. Get an upstairs room on a corner, and there should be no noise at all. Pay extra for the nicest room you can afford. We wil stay here again, and recommend it to anyone travelling to Flagstaff.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple