“Aging Property”

Ranked #40 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
La Paz, Mexico
“Aging Property”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We booked into the Days Inn via the Internet because we've had good luck with Comfort Inn properties in the past, but this one is sub-par, in my opinion. The rooms are small and in need of a remodel and the "free breakfast" was impossible due to the tiny, poorly designed area where it is served. We were able to grab a cup of coffee, but that was it! We elected to check out and eat in town rather than join the crush of people. The place was full, but obviously with one-nighters (like us) who were just passing through. There are much better lodging choices in Flagstaff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Where do I begin? I booked my room online, judging the photos of the property to be decent. Upon arrival, I was pleased by the appearance of the grounds and the lobby. As I approached the counter, the owner, must have been expecting me, because he immediately handed me my paperwork, with a credit card receipt stapled to it to sign. I've never been charged by a hotel, before I even checked in! He then charged me $16.50 per night for a roll away bed, which is high, compared to most other hotels that either provide them free upon request or charge only $10. We couldn't get the TV to work in the room and had to call the front desk for help. The owner gave directions over the phone to fix it, but it didn't work, so we called again. He came down to our room, tried unplugging and replugging from the outlets and jacks, and he finally got it working. When we got settled in, I checked my voice mail, and found a message from the owner, left at 9pm, asking me to call him and let him know when we would be arriving! Really? I didn't realize there was a curfew! It was only 9:30pm when we got there. When I pulled the bed spread and pillows back, there was a yucky stain on the spread, and the fabric on the box springs was discolored yellow from age. There were a few strands of long black hair, and a bunch of tiny little pieces, like someone had shaved or gotten a haircut along the top edge of the mattress. GROSS! I called the desk to ask if someone could change the sheets, but the owner said there was no one on duty, but we could change rooms. We did and the second room was much better, although the beds were still tiny, old and very lumpy and uncomfortable. At breakfast the next morning, the milk jug for cereal was empty, there was cream cheese, but no bagels to spread it on, just bread, and the waffle batter was watered down and pre-poured in cups, without enough to make a full size waffle in them. There were empty cups from other guests left all over the counter, which I picked up and threw away. I used the last two cups of batter for my boys, and the family that came after me had to hunt the attendant down and ask for more. After about 5 minutes, he had to find her and ask her again. After another 5 minutes, she finally came out of the back room with only 4 cups of batter, not enough for his whole family. The milk jug was still empty when I looked in the back room and saw the attendant playing on her phone with a coworker. I went to the desk to let the manager know, and she was very defensive about it. She called the attendant and told her to make sure the guests were served, before playing on her phone. Wow! We decided to leave this hotel and go elsewhere. When I asked her to refund the next two nights and the roll-away bed, she said she was not authorized to give refunds, and I had to call the hotel after 3 pm to ask the owner when he arrived. When my husband argued the point that we shouldn't have to wait all day for a refund, when we shouldn't have been charged yet in the first-place, she called him a jackass. We checked out and left as fast as we could after that. An hour or so later, around 10:15 am (go figure..what happened to after 3pm?), she called me to bring my credit card back to get a refund for the roll-away bed and the receipt for the refund for the two nights I was charged that I didn't stay. When we went back, my husband told her it was unprofessional to call customers names, simply because they had legitimate complaints. She said he was rude and low-class. That was pretty much the last straw, so he said some rude and low-class things to her in retaliation on his way out. We went to La Quinta for the next two nights, and it was like leaving hell to go to heaven.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Julia K

Travellers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

No hot water for last 2 days...laundry washer does not work...breakfast is good though, and rooms are clean. Please be aware the beds are smaller than queen, and 2 people cannot sleep comfortably in these beds.

• Stayed August 2013
Lake Orion
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Although I booked my room online through Days Inn and was given a fixed price, the actual price was $10 higher when I checked in. The clerk said it was because of "mandatory safety tax" (nonsense of course). When I checked out the safety "tax" was actually listed as a "safe insurance" fee because there is a safe in the room. I told this clerk I didn't use the safe and wanted that fee removed which she refused to do because she said it was a "mandatory" fee under Days Inn policy. I'll be filing a complaint with the Flagstaff BBB.

Oh, and I forgot to mention being woken up at 6am by the barking dog in the room next door. No discount for sleeping in a kennel/hotel.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want a room within at least three rooms from someone with dog because the do...