“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Mesa, Arizona
“Amazing hotel”
Reviewed 21 March 2011

The biggest, cleanest, most amazing rooms of any hotel we've stayed at! Hunting lodge meets the Ritz. Right off I40 and close to all no. az attractions, this hotel has it all! We will be returning with the in-laws in May to tour Grand Canyon and Sedona and hope to stay at Little America again. got the room for $60/night thru Priceline....great price for an exceptional hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2011

This is the one hotel I have ever stayed in that is exacly like it appears on their internet page. The rooms are furnished in a very charming way with a large sitting area attached to the bed area. We had a premier view room so we overlooked the wonderful tree studded property. There is even a little china dish where the soap sits in the bathroom. There was a fire going in the huge foyer which added to the charm.

The bed is very comfortable and the linens are nice. Considering where the hotel is located, near a truck stop and close to the 40, there is surprisingly little noise. The staff were all very efficient and friendlly. The only drawback is that the hotel is a little away from town but we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 9 March 2011

What a surprise to arrive to this hotel in the midst of beautifully wood studded terrain. After a long 10 hour drive this place was a wonderful respite. The rooms are very spacious and the beds are very comfortable with excellent bed linens, pillows and covers. Although the decor is dated I loved it, and felt is was a very special room (it reminded me of decor in Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany)...in its day this hotel had a be a resort. Phones near the toilet told me a story of a luxury place. The bath products were high quality, the towels thick, comfortable and highly absorbent. We even enjoyed the jacuzzi early in the morning (towels were outside near the jacuzzi) with the sun beaming down on us...even though it was cold outside it was wonderful! We had another six hours to go so this was especially nice. We had breakfast in the morning in the restaurant and it was delicious. The coffee was fresh and strong. My husband enjoyed taking photos of the squirrels after breakfast and used some of our trail mix to entice them over to him. I couldn't believe how friendly the "little ham" (the squirrel, not my husband) was. I sat in our room looking out the sliding glass door towards the pool and watched it all. If you want a beautiful view ask for a room that looks towards the pool because its in a wooded quad...Overall it was really a thrill to stay here when I expected the run of the mill hotel...but his hotel is something special...it does not feel like a chain.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Phoenix
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We booked a room here for two nights to catch the snow in Flagstaff and ski at Snowbowl. When we arrived, we were surprised that a hotel like this existed so close to I-40 and I-17 in northern AZ. The lobby is huge and comfortably furnished with a large fireplace and sitting area, front desk personnel friendly and inviting. Our room was another surprise--A uniquely styled suite with older but classic furnishings in a sitting room area and a large comfortable bed and dresser/tables in the bedroom area. Flat screen tv on the wall and a second sink/mirror/cabinet in the bedroom area. Bathroom was large and clean, though older cabinetry had been altered to allow a small frig. Just a coffee maker (with good coffee) was the only other appliance. No microwave, but who cares when there's an in-hotel restaurant and bar a few steps away. The large outdoor pool wasn't heated so I couldn't swim laps after skiing, but there was a hot tub outside (didn't utilize that either, since there was no privacy with all the families and couples enjoying the snow that weekend). But my room bathtub was very comfortable! BEST OBSERVATION: Every time we encountered hotel staff, they acknowledged us, were polite, looked right at you, spoke English, and offered assistance. Haven't experienced THAT in many hotels in Calif or AZ for awhile.
We will DEFINITELY stay at Little America Hotel on our next visit to Flagstaff.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2011

You drive up to the hotel and there's a cartoon penguin sign with "Little America" in circus font to welcome you. In the lobby, it looks as though you are in an Aspen lodge. Walking down the hallway to your room, you're creeped out because the decor is like something out of The Shining, and your room is like a Victorian era throwback wannabe. Anyway, I'm not complaining, I can find the charm in this identity crisis of a hotel.

The rooms were a good size, it was fairly clean (albeit with a weird odor), and house keeping was very curteous. It was snowing heavily when we went and the hotel grounds looked amazing, someone at their garage even helped us put on tire chains. My real issue with this hotel was check in service, when I booked through the phone the operator didn't mention that the rate given to me did not include tax. We thought we knew the total to be charged on our card, until checkout when I was informed I actually owed more than I thought because of tax. When I told the clerk that I was never told my rate did not include tax, she printed out the confirmation letter and after reading through it, acknowledged that it didn't even mention anything on my confirmation letter about tax but said there was nothing she could do. While I understand that there's no escaping tax, I still feel that the hotel should have mentioned this either over the phone or in my confirmation letter. The tax was considerable, and what made it more annoying was that during check in we realized that we had gotten a very high rate, as we overheard other people checking in with lower nightly rates. In the end, the clerk said she would "leave a note to the manager" and after a week, I still haven't heard anything from anyone, nor do I expect to from this place.

• Stayed February 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 15 February 2011

This would be it! The décor, the smell both belong to your grandmother’s house (i.e. trapped in the 1970s). Having said that, staying at Little America is by no means an unpleasant experience. It gives you that hint of nostalgia for a place where glass trays of Werther’s Originals are abundant.

Our room was spacious with a bedroom attached to a sitting room (or as grandma would say, a parlor). Despite the dated décor, the room did have modern amenities, including a flat screen TV and free wireless. There was a nice outdoor area with a playground, pool, and hot tub (which is open year round). The hotel was conveniently located right off highway 40 and was reasonably close to downtown Flagstaff. All in all, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
MYOB
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I used to live in Flagstaff and return for visits. Although Little America looks like a truck stop (there is one on the grounds), the hotel is beyond that area and is a nice surprise. The rooms are very big, and always spotlessly clean. Ask for a room on the quiet side so you don't have to listen to the highway. There isn't any train noise here, which is a drawback to some of the other Flag hotels/motels.

The restaurant is fine, I've had the holiday brunch and breakfast, never tried it for dinner. Due to the layout of the hotel (four buildings on the grounds), the temperature of your room service meal may be doubtful since it's a long way from some rooms to the kitchen.

Flagstaff is a beautiful city and the Grand Canyon is an hour and a half away.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo