“Liked the walking trail”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
Arkansas
“Liked the walking trail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

This was a nice hotel. We stayed for 1 night on our way to the Grand Canyon. Our room was very large. A bit on the older side and you can see the age showing in the bathroom, but it was very clean and well maintained. It could have been the way our room was positioned, but it seemed very dark... not much sunlight coming in.

We loved the walking trail behind the hotel, my son and I walked this during sunrise, and it was very pleasant and quiet. We were not here long enough to use the pool, but it looked nice and clean.

We decided not to eat at the hotel restaurant, and instead drove into Flagstaff. I recommend the Beaver Street Brewery. We had a great dinner there. Downtown Flagstaff was neat as well. Neat shops and there was a banjo/guitar band playing downtown the night we were there.

1 complaint is there was not complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning. Our room had a little coffee pot, but I wanted something a little better. I ended up going to the breakfast restaurant and asking for a cup of coffee to go. It was about $3, and not that good.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
Riverside, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

Very spacious room. Very clean and old school. The bed was very comfortable and bathroom was very clean. They have a large restaurant and a travel center on the property. The pool was disgustingly hot?...not sure why it was being heated in July. Plenty of easy access to restaurants in area and a short 3 minute drive to Rt. 66. This is a perfect in between homebase for exploring both Sedona and Grand Canyon. Canyon is about 70 miles and Sedona about 30 all the major highways are very close by.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BSouliere
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

This hotel is just off the I40 and initially you think that the noise would be an issue during your stay, but it's the complete opposite. We only stayed one night, as we used Flagstaff to visit the Grand Canyon. We had 3 rooms booked and we all found them to be very clean, functional and massive, even by USA standards!! The staff were friendly and helpful and breakfast is very good. The overall layout is good and feels very peaceful, especially as it surrounds woodlands. If I were to vist Flagstaff again, I would have no hesitation in staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights after a trip to Utah/Grand Canyon-this was our relaxing time of the vacation. We had the deluxe suite, which was huge and very reasonably priced. 2 queen size beds and a sofa sleeper. For a family of 4 it was twice the size of some of the other rooms we stayed in on our trip. The pool area was great-chairs with cushions instead of plastic-wow ! (Can you tell we always stay at budget places?)Loved the trail. We only ate in the restaurant once, but it was good and prices weren't bad for a hotel. We actually got breakfast at the truckstop next door-and that was also good.

My only gripe-and it is minor-was that we asked for a late check out because we were flying out of Phoenix on a flight that didn't leave until 10:45pm. We had to practically beg for 1 extra hour. They did say we could use the pool, etc-but the kids wanted to watch tv. I understand that they need to get rooms prepared-but we had spent 3 nights and a considerable sum of money there. It also was a Monday, so it wasn't their busiest day. But maybe they get asked by too many people...I just wish they had been a little nicer about it when we asked.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

116 degrees in Phoenix and 78 in Flagstaff helped, but we picked a gem with Little America. Desk staff was kind, personable, and very helpful--in fact, everyone from maintenance to maids to groundskeeping were friendly.

Next to I40 and minutes from downtown, but quiet and remote. Rooms were clean, comfortable, and large. Grounds were like a garden, with aspens, pines, and fine-trimmed lawns. The walking / running trail was a bonus. Tiki torches by the large pool and hot tub made our last night magical. Almost an idyllic setting. We'd book again if in Flagstaff without even searching other hotels.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Leicestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

Located close to the inter-state this was rather like an up market motel. Perfectly fine for an overnight stay. A little down at heal and lacking charm overall, our room was well-proportioned and the beds were comfortable. Eating opportunities are limited to the hotel's restaurant or one attached to a nearby camping ground. Better to go into Flagstaff itself where we found a couple of good micro-brewery eating places across the tracks not far from the station.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

The Good: I admire the Little America concept of park-like settings for their hotels, which are set back from busy roads and surrounded by lush vegetation. Also typical is the grand lobby and reception area with a massive fireplace and chandelier and a very professional and attentive staff. There are several “lodge” buildings, each with two stories. The rooms open onto broad interior corridors. The generous size of the rooms also appeals to me. My room in Flagstaff was a whopping 23 x 14 ft., and that’s not even including the large bathroom, the entry way, and a mirrored vanity area outside the bathroom. I was able to book for around $125 a night, including taxes, and with a holiday weekend coming up, I considered the price reasonable for what one gets. The main space is divided into a furnished sitting room and a bedroom, with a partial partition between them, and it has a sliding glass door that looks out onto the grounds. As is typical for the chain, the furniture and wallpaper lean pretentiously to French provincial and brocade. Depending on your taste, you’ll either ooh and ah over it, or you’ll roll your eyes at how “shi-shi“ it looks, since, after all, it's just a motel room. While I personally wouldn’t decorate my own house like that, I have to admit that after a long day on the road, I enjoy the signature touches that Little America provides, and I’ll put my feet up on a French provincial coffee table any day. (Oops, is the management reading this?) At any rate, the furniture and carpets were all clean and in good condition, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also very clean and included a small built-in refrigerator under the counter. The tub is a large oval fixture with a shower. Thanks for a shower head that is high enough to accommodate us tall people! Hot water was plentiful, and the towels and linens were of excellent quality. Outside the bathroom there is a handy second sink and counter that also serves as a make-up dresser (the standard floor plan for Little America). Internet connectivity was free of charge and consistently strong. There is a heated outdoor pool and a nice poolside area for relaxing outside. (Heated water is very important at over 7,000 feet above sea level.) Each lodge building appears to have its own fitness room. Mine was just down the hall and included a nice assortment of exercise machines and treadmills. This Little America is easy to reach from I-40, and one pleasant surprise was that it is also easy to get to the historic district of Flagstaff from this location. I was eager to visit a couple of brewpubs and the Orpheum Theater downtown and was able to drive there in about ten minutes via Butler Ave. and old Route 66. I did not visit the restaurant, service station, or any of the retail shops while I was at Little America, so I cannot comment on their quality. It’s possible to check out of your room by using a function of the in-room flat screen TV. That worked well, though it means you don’t get a printed receipt unless you stop by the front desk anyway.

The Bad: Negotiating street traffic at the entrance and exit for the hotel can be a bit of a nail-biter. The driveway is only a few feet from a major traffic intersection, with cars whizzing around the corner. This makes it difficult to exit the parking lot, especially if you want to turn left toward I-40. Also, on the subject of the room amenities, I noted above that there is adequate hot water, but the downside is that the water was so scalding hot, it was actually dangerous. After burning my hands, I quickly learned to turn the cold water faucet liberally at the same time that I ran the hot water. Finally, while the staff was generally very professional, I was annoyed that I had to endure boisterous conversation between cleaning ladies as they worked their way down the corridor at 9:00 a.m., loudly tapping their keys on all the doors and shouting “HOUSEKEEPING!” as if they expected the occupants to be deaf.

Room Tip: Upper rooms have small balconies, lower rooms sliding doors with egress to the grounds.