“Tired and Overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Glendale, Arizona
“Tired and Overpriced”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'll begin by saying I love Flagstaff and consider it my second home. My family's been staying at the Little America for decades, and there the root of the problem lies. Back in the day, this was a swanky joint. Problem is, the hotel stayed back in the day. The grounds are nicely kept and the rooms are big. The staff is competent and friendly, but seem to be as sleepy as the rest of the property. I expect more from a modern property charging these prices and this property doesn't compare favorably with other markets. On the negative side, the furnishings have tipped the scale from quaint to dated. I had to change rooms three times before landing in one that was at least acceptable. First room had pounding in the walls, second and third rooms the a/c wasn't working, and all of the rooms had significant wet spots and staining on the carpets. They get away with it, and the high price, because there's just not much in the way of competition in town. You'll have a nice, quiet (insert comatose) stay, just be sure to drink your prune juice before bedtime at 4:00 p.m..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Michael W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Lemon Grove
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have stayed at the Little America Hotel in Flagstaff two times. The hotel is beautiful,with a wonderful welcoming reservation area. You are welcomed by a lovely fireplace in a large lobby' Our suite both times was large, comfortable, and very clean. The hotel sits on a very extensive plot of forrest land, that you can hike among the evergreens. We didn't eat at the resturaunt on the property, but there are many places to choose from near by. The Snow Bowl isn't very far away for skiing. I would definitely go back here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Albiet a bit dated with the decor, the hotel rooms are HUGE by most standards, very clean, and the beds are superbly comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would stay there again on another trip to Flagstaff. All the amenities were appropriate and the location can't be beat--close to downtown and right off of I-4.

Room Tip: It was pretty much restful... the back side rooms face the trees and pool area and might be more qui...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 30 May 2014

If you stay at this property it is like taking a step back in time to the late 50's or 60's. When you check in the main building is really nice with a huge fireplace in the lobby, you would think this place is going to be super. Once you get to your room in what they call the lodges you might have a different opinion. The rooms are large with plenty of room to move around in. They have a large seating area with a dining table as well as a large bedroom and bathroom. The problem I have is the furniture looks to be from the late 50's. The bathroom has pink tile. The carpet appears to be from the same era too. The room was clean, but they do need to be updated. Another thing we stayed in lodge 4, because I asked for a quiet nights sleep. The road noise of the big trucks was a little bothersome. Another thing is the front door to the room was a little flimsy, which did not give you a sense of security. It had none of the locks found on other hotel doors. The door did not use a card like most today, but an actual electronic key, a little strange.
It is an easy on and off the I-40. The property around the lodges is really pretty and we did some wildlife when we departed in the early morning.

Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at Little America twice, once getting into Flagstaff headed to Utah and then again on my way home to Colorado. This was the best place on my entire trip, very clean rooms, a great staff, nice on site restaurant. The restaurant was a little pricey or else I'm cheap. Out my sliding glass door was a nice view and what looked like a nice pool, I never use pools, but it did have people using it. Big place with lots of rooms and a convenience store as you turn in to the motel so that was handy. And I would stay there again and it was the least expensive of all the motels I stayed at, and the best!

Room Tip: All the rooms would be good as they are very clean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Graybeard47
Lubbock
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was the first time we stayed at Little America. We wanted a quiet get away for our anniversary. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was the cleanest I'd ever stayed at. It was very quiet and peaceful. I liked looking out the sliding door at the trees, birds and squirrels. The bed was very comfortable. There was very little noise, even though there was a wedding and receptions while we were there. The price was very reasonable. I've stayed at more expensive hotels that were not half this nice. We will definitely come back on our next vacation.

Room Tip: We were on the bottom floor by the door and there was no loud noises coming into the room t disturb...
2 Thank Marie S
Milford, MI
Reviewed 28 May 2014

How many hotels have you stayed in that had their own extensive hiking trails? Little America has some nice hiking trails in the Ponderosa Pine forests of Northern Arizona. The place is clean, well kept quiet and the price is reasonable. We only ate in the restaurant for breakfast but the food was good, reasonably priced and delivered with attentive service.

The grounds are nice and there is a pool, play area and some nice hiking trails

We stayed here two nights while we were visiting Flagstaff and if we go back to Flagstaff we will certainly stay here

Room Tip: We stayed in Building four and it was quiet and close to the forest, a little away from the pool and...
1 Thank Mike B