“Save your money and stay somewhere else....”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Save your money and stay somewhere else....”
Reviewed 27 December 2008

We booked a room at this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews. We were traveling over the holidays with our three children and we wanted to stay someplace that would be fun for them, and someplace nice. One night's stay cost us $158.00.

First, the front desk person was boring, and his face lacked any expression whatsoever. I asked him if we decided to stay another night, how to go about making those arrangements. He said it didn't matter one way or the other, we could come to the front desk or book through the 1-800 number. He used the phrase "it's like comparing apples to oranges..." Ummmmmm, ok. Thanks for all your friendly assistance!!

Our room was on the second floor of the hotel, and this hotel has no elevators. This means you have to lug all your stuff up to the second floor, via the stairs. Because there was so much snow in the parking lot, we had to park far away and walk through both snow and ice. I found this to be a bit dangerous, considering we were traveling with our children. I was carrying our baby across the parking lot, taking much care to take solid steps so I didn't slip on the ice. They could surely use salt to clear the roads and the walkways. The snow went all the way up to the hotel doors! Come on, clear the walkways atleast!

We got to our room and the only way I can describe it is tacky as all heck! Bright pink carpet! Pink floral chairs! White metal table and chandelier (yes, I said chandelier!!) White and gold benches at the foot of each bed, with a bright pink faux leather cushion!! Whoa...
yep...bright pink! I don't even know how to describe the bedding, other than it was yellow, pink, red, gold, green, and white. It was like the 60's threw up in this room...seriously.

Another thing that grossed me out a bit was the fact that the coffee maker is in the bathroom. Weird...considering there is alot of other counter or flat surface space in the room itself. Also, the small refrigerator is directly across from the toilet. Another weird thing. Why would you want to store food/drinks across from the toilet?

Once we unloaded all of our stuff into the room, we decided we'd head down to the lounge for happy hour. We saw they had $5.00 appetizers, and $5.00 martinis. Great, a drink and some food sounded wonderful. We sat at our table for 10 to 15 minutes before our waitress approached us. I ordered drinks for our kids, a bloody mary for my hubby, and I wasn't sure so I asked for a drink menu. She got lost while finding the drink menu, and when she finally brought it back she disappeared again for another five minutes. She came back with the kids drinks, and never brought the bloody mary. I thought the bar was backed up, so I didn't question it. I went ahead and ordered my drink, along with three appetizers. Nachos, cheese sticks, and hot wings. About five minutes later my drink arrived. The bloody mary was MIA. When we asked her about it she said she "forgot". She finally got back with the bloody mary, and our appetizers. The wings were literally floating in hot sauce. The nachos were burnt to a black crisp. They were obviously left too long under the broiler. The cheese sticks were sitting on a wilted pile of lettuce. Not very appetizing. We sent back the nachos, and asked for a manager. The manager came over and apologized and asked what she could do for us. We wanted to feed our kids something decent, so asked if she could bring them salads. She obliged, without charging us. Our overall experience in the lounge left MUCH to be desired.

I'm very disappointed because on our way through flagstaff a week ago, we stayed at the Sleep Inn for $59.99 and it was a better experience than Little America. I wish I could get refunded for the $160 we just spent for this room, and go check into the Sleep Inn. I won't stay here again.

I will say that the grounds are great. However, the grounds do not make up for bad experiences in all other areas of the hotel.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank danipants13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
Moorpark, California
Reviewed 9 December 2008

We used Flagstaff as a "hub" on a family vacation - so we could go to the Grand Canyon, Montezuma's Castle, as well as several other Sinaqua Indian sites. Flagstaff ended up being a great choice, much less expensive than Williams and/or Sedona, for sure. We went to Williams, as well as Sedona - for the day - and returned to Flagstaff.

This hotel was very reasonably priced - and while we are more used to higher end hotels (like a J.W. Marriott or such) - for this "kind" of a hotel - it was VERY nice. The room was large, clean and while the decor was a bit outdated - it was not shabby.

Since it was COLD in Flagstaff (in Nov) - its nice that the hotel has interconnected hallways to the lobby and restaurants. The grounds are pretty and our kids had a great time running around chasing squirrels, collecting pine cones, etc.

I would recommend that you ask for (and we had to pay an extra $20/night) for a room that faces the forest/pool area - instead of the parking lot/highway. It was much quieter that way.

The restaurant (diner like part) was just average - but the bar had VERY inexpensive drinks and appetizers at happy hour. Plus we had the Thanksgiving Buffet there - and it was quite lovely and lavish - especially for the price (when compared with Sedona's Thanksgiving prices).

All in all -- a great family trip and pretty reasonable.

• Liked — Pine forest, great happy hour at 5pm
  • Disliked — Its a "highway hotel" - but probably the nicest in Flagstaff. Ask for a room NOT facing highway.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda C
Camino, California
Reviewed 7 November 2008

I agree with all the glowing comments, the room was large and comfortable, nicely furnished, clean, etc. Our problem was the train whistle all night. Maybe because our room was facing the parking lot? I even had ear plugs and the train whistle kept waking me up, same for husband. My internet connection was not the best. I couldn't get Wi-Fi so I used a wired connection. Luckily I had a cord with me, if not they wanted you to pay for one at the gift shop.
We ate breakfast in their coffee shop, had the buffet, it was fair. Had dinner in their steak house and it was very good with good service.
If not for the train noise we would go back but I need to sleep on vacation!

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Noise from trains
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 6 November 2008

We stayed at the Little America Hotel for just one nite. We drove up from Phoenix for a wedding. The wedding was held at the hotel itself. The hotel itself is very easy to find. It is right off of the highway. It is a little scary when you have to pull into a gas station to get into the hotel parking lot, but you won't be disappointed once you are there.

When we checked in, the staff was very friendly. They were able to help us find a particular coffee shop in town. We actually brought the hot chocolate and cookies back to the hotel so that we could enjoy them in the main lobby in front of the huge fireplace. Our kids loved it!!!! While we were in the lobby on a Friday nite, we were able to hear the music from the lounge and our kids were dancing away!!! :)

Our room was huge and very clean. We got the room with 2 queen beds. There were 2 separate seating areas. A nice TV on the wall. The bathroom was very clean and updated, with a little coffee maker for in the morning. We did not know anything about a balcony, but you really can't call it that. It was about a foot wide, and I could't ever figure out how to even unlock and open the slider.

On the down side, I don't know if they have handicap accessible rooms. We were on the first floor and even that had multiple stairs to get up to. First down, into the hallway and then up into the building. I had just recently hurt my knee and did not realize that there would be so many stairs for a first floor room.

I booked my room through a hotel website and got a great deal, so it was barely more than the cheaper "chain" hotels in town.

On Saturday, we went over to the wedding site, just off of our building. This is the 2nd wedding that we have been to at Little Americana and both of them have been beautiful. With the forest as a backdrop and the cooler weather than in the valley of the sun, this was a perfect setting.

The reception hall was very well done. Again, this being the second wedding that we have been to here, 6 years apart, they were both very well managed by the staff. (This is from a guests point of view). The staff was very visible and were not want for anything.

This is our first time to visit Little America and I think that if we go back to Flagstaff, that we would stay here again. I think that our kids would love to walk along the paths and swim among the pines in the summer.

It was just so easy to get to and very reasonably priced.

• Liked — Easy to get to, Friedly staff, Large clean rooms, (Would like to try it along with skiing some time)
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank coulsonshome
Wales
Reviewed 18 October 2008

This is a big complex made up of a number of interlinked buildings set in 500 acres.
One building is separate and not attached so you have to brave the fresh air for a few yards to get to the lobby and the restaurants. It is quite a long walk from some rooms to the main building.
Our room was smart, clean and comfortable – the only problem was the super-warm bedding.
We ate in the Pines Café where the food and service were excellent and the breakfast buffet was very good.
There is also the Western Gold Dining Room for fine dining.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Stayed October 2008
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 6 October 2008

We pulled in from the east side of the hotel and could only see the sign and the gas station, which was a bit worrisome. Our fears were washed away the minute we pulled under the awning. This place is well cared for and a real gem. Our room was large, quiet, and very clean. The grounds are well kept and the crew was busy on small detail work when we were there. The food and service in the cafe and the dining room is great.

• Liked — Old school charm.
  • Disliked — We only stayed two days.
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
Reviewed 4 October 2008

I read a lot of reviews on a lot of hotels on trip advisor before i booked my trip and Little America came up No.1 every time. Enough said.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family