“Not your usual hotel”

Little America Hotel Flagstaff
Ranked #1 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Very pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, amenities, furniture style, flat-screen TV, internet access, fridge etc. plus the 2-mile hiking trail in the woods. Wish it were a lot closer to the downtown restaurants and shops, and not so close to the interstate and railway line. We would have liked a coffee/snack place to have a quick breakfast rather than have to sit down and wait in the dining room. Driving access from the hotel back onto the roads was very difficult as the entrance/exit is very close to a traffic signal and there were always big trucks coming off the highway.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,474)

Reviewed 2 November 2009

We travelled across the USA on a tour organised by Great Rail Journeys of York between the 7th and 27th October 2009. We had a two night stop at the Little America Hotel set amid 500 acres of private, lush pine forest. Our room was the largest we experienced on this trip, with a seating area and a small dining table with a chandelier. There were two large queen sized beds and two sinks (one outside the bathroom). The hotel was clean, but our room was a 5 minute walk by internal corridor to Reception. The Pool was closed for refurbishment and one of the 3 restaurants was closed and had been for over a year. There was free internet in Reception. There was a special welcome to the group from the hotel management with free cookies and generally staff were helpful. The gift shop was large with a wide range of gifts and souvenirs.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I guess there's not a lot to choose from in Flagstaff. I've stayed at a Best Western Hotel many years ago, and it was a lot better than this hotel.

I was there for a four-day conference with my company. When we first drove up, we thought it was a truck stop and left to look further down the street. After roaming around for another 15 minutes, we went back and drove further into the parking lot.

I thought the lobby was quaint...kinda kitschy but I was willing to go with the flow. Lugging my suitcase to my room was not fun...I had to go through connecting doors and stairs. Someone with a lot of luggage would have trouble. When I opened the door and turned on the lights in my room, I literally gasped. I had stepped into my grandmother's shrine. I don't think they decorated it that way on purpose...it was probably really chic in 1960. My colleagues and I pretty much poked fun at our rooms the whole week. I did discover that my room decor was worse than the others. But the room itself was very large. Bathroom was old, and the linens were thin. The room was dusty in areas, so I only touched the essential areas.

In the public areas around the ballrooms, there were a lot of construction going on. I had to walk through dusty stucco, ladders, electrical wires hanging from ceilings to get to my conference room. I think any future guest should call in advance to make sure that the construction is done before going there. I guess it bugged me that they had all this building stuff everywhere knowing that a customer was holding a conference there.

All my meals were organized by the conference team, and it was okay. I had soup and sandwiches most days...boring, but not the hotel's fault. We did have pie one night on our own in the the hotel restaurant, and it was pretty good. I was there in the winter, so I didn't venture out beyond the hotel except for dinner meals. Nor did I feel like exploring the rest of the hotel areas or amenities. I guess I was just turned off by what I saw.

I would never stay here by choice for business. It's probably okay if you're touring the Grand Canyon with friends and family. But I'm a bit spoiled and I don't like to stay in places that look so outdated and tired. But I think my company got each room for $99 a night. So for this price, there's not a lot to complain. It's just a personal preference. This place wasn't for me.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank flannelpajamas
Reviewed 23 October 2009

My husband and i spent 1 night here as part of a 3 week road trip and we loved it! We booked a forest view room (not quite a forest, more a cluster of pine trees between the hotel & swimming pool, but still nice). We opened the door to the room and we're blown away! The room (and bathroom) was massive, more like a suite than a standard hotel room. The bed was a good size, and comfy - only complaint was the lack of pillows (only 2 in the room) and they were the softest pillows ever (which i hate!).
We ate in the restaurant and were very pleasantly suprised. The atmosphere was lovely and relaxed, and the food was good too. It was one of the most enjoyable, relaxed meals we had all holiday. Our Waitress was so friendly & helpful. After dinner we had a few drinks in the bar area (adjacent to the restaurant) - again, very enjoyable.
From the moment we arrived we were very impressed:
Loads of parking,
Friendly, helpful staff (Reception, Restaurant, Gift shop etc)
Large, comfortable, well presented rooms,
Great food (dinner),
Approx. 1 hour drive from Grand Canyon.
Unfortunately we only stayed for 1 night. When we left, both my husband and i, wished we could stay longer - the whole place felt so peaceful and relaxing. Hopefully, one day in the future we will be able to return (i'd definitely look at other Little America properties for future visits to the USA)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Little America on October 2nd and 3rd and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. This was our first visit to the area and we had just spent two days in Sedona and were actually sorry to leave Sedona, but what a lovely surprise Flagstaff was.
I had checked the reviews here on TripAdvisor for hotels in Flagstaff and selected Little America and we were delighted with this gem.
We checked in at 12:00 noon and although the check-in time was 4:00p.m., we were told "absolutely no problem". Our room was a king Forest view room. Extremely spacious and well laid out. Large screen plasma TV. Very comfortable bed. Extra large bathroom. And, something very important for us....extremely clean!
There is a large heated pool and hottub in the grounds and although we didn't use either, we saw some people enjoying both. The walkways around the pool are lit with gas lamps, so would definitely add a little romance to a night-time swim.
We walked the two mile trail in the woods.
We had breakfast both mornings in the restaurant. Breakfast isn't included in the room cost, however the prices are very reasonable, e.g. $9.95 for an American breakfast (egg, bacon/ham or sausage - homefries - toast and unlimited coffee or tea). there were many other choices and also a large buffet for around $14.00.
We also had dinner on the Saturday night and it was excellent. There was live entertainment with a singer/piano player...very nice touch. Our server for the evening was Eleanor and what a charming lady she was. She gave us excellent service and some great info' about Flagstaff and its history.
All the staff we met were all very friendly and helpful.
Usually, when I write a review, there are a couple of negatives I include, however, with Little America, there were absolutely no negatives. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the Flagstaff area.

2  Thank AnneCrt
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Located next to but well set back from busy road in large gardens. 4 seperate blocks of accommodation. OK sized rooms but long walk to amenities. Breakfast very hit and miss. Evening meal OK but rumours that chef went home at 19..00 (restaurant closed at 21.00) and left food to be heated up - some dis satisfaction regarding quality.

Property fronted by a large garage with truck stop and taxi needed US$ 8/9 each way to get to centre of Flagstaff.

1  Thank youngandfiftyish
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We just returned from a stay at Little America in Flagstaff, Arizona. We have stayed there several times over many years - and always enjoyed every stay.
However, this time was very different...... I had reserved a "forest view" room when I made our reservation. When we entered our room we had a "parking lot view". I called the front desk and was informed that I had made a reservation for a "parking lot view" room - "but for $20.00 more we could have the room we desired." I was then refered to the Reservation Manager to resolve the issue. But, I got her voicemail. So, we unpacked and decided to stay where we were. Not that big of a deal - but not handled in the manner we expected from our history at this hotel.
But, the room confusion was nothing compared to what we found later. One of the nicest things about Little America is the forest grounds in the interior of the property. Always a nice place to walk and enjoy the forest and wildlife. But, we discovered the doors to this area were taped closed not allowing access. When I walked around the property I did find access to the interior area. Unfortunately, the area was fenced off, with major construction underway. It looks like new sewer/water lines are being installed. Lots of equipment and materials in the area and looks like a lot of work to be done.
So, if you go to Little America to enjoy the grounds - you had better wait until the construction is complete. And, don't expect them to tell you about it when you check in as we were not informed when we arrived.
I'm not a engineer, but it looks like this job is going to last a very long time.

1  Thank ArizonaTravelPro