“It's an Ok place.”

and 1 more site!
Grand Central Hotel
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Food is average and the service is too. Rooms are a bit high for my pocketbook. The rooms are not as nice as I was expecting. Service is a bit slow too. If your not in any hurry and want to overpay for a hotel room, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Solarheatenergy

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My sister and I had stayed at the hotel previously and were very pleased. We were looking forward to another terrific experience in Cottonwood Falls.

This time there were more issues than we could have imagined. The check in went fine and the man who assisted us was terrific. After that, it was pretty much all downhill.

The mirror in the bathroom had not been wiped clean. The sink was slow running and the shower did not drain well at all. We took showers in water up to the level our ankles. The glasses and carafe had not been properly washed (fingerprints), the coffee cups had lipstick and/or left over coffee on them. When I went to make coffee - thinking that I would use a paper cup I had in the car - the brewing device in the room did not work. Going downstairs to find some coffee I saw no one - the dining room was dark and there was no sign of breakfast.
When we finally found someone in the back and asked about breakfast, we were told to sit down. Interestingly, the lights were still not on in the dining room. I had requested a hard boiled egg for breakfast the night before but the message had not been forwarded to the person in charge of the food service. Thus, we went for a walk and had breakfast elsewhere. At $160 per room, we did not receive the kind of service we had grown to expect. Had I been the inn keeper, I would have offered a reduction in the cost of the room but that option was not given to us. I was not aware of the AARP/AAA discount or we certainly would have used it had we been told about it.

The hotel is a lovely one - details like the ones mentioned above are easy to fix and they make the difference between repeat visits or none.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank Kansas2013
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Based on the reviews, I'll admit my skepticism. Based on our experience, I was delighted! Room rate at $160 was perhaps on the high side, but 10% AAA/AARP discount helped. I rather liked checking in with the restaurant host. They knew us by name throughout our stay. After settling in, we dined downstairs, which was awesome. Thoroughly enjoyed the shops and Friday jam session across the street. As for no staff overnight, this place was like home! We'll be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bruce D
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This was our first time at the Grand Central Hotel. From the exterior, it is a really attractive older brick building. The interior has a lot of ambience. And, although the room we stayed in was an OK room, at $180/night for two people it was definitely over-priced. We had gone to Cottonwood Falls with the idea of getting up Sunday morning and touring the Tall Grass Prairie Preserve, which is only a few miles north of Cottonwood Falls. The Preserve is well-worth a visit, but staying at the Grand Central Hotel was not a positive experience. We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant Saturday night. The wait staff was overwhelmed by the number of guests, not well trained, and all very young. Both my wife and I ordered filet mignon -- medium rare. Mine came out close to what I'd ordered, but my wife's was medium to medium well. Sent it back, and what came back was a steak that had not been seared, had no juice, and was cooked medium. We sent it back and shared my steak. We'd read reviews of the hotel and were willing to give it a chance. We did, and it was not worth the visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank azjayhawks
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I have been to this place in its better days...it's obviously not the same anymore. Went during the Flint Hills Rodeo. Was expecting a lot more people...instead just some ole cowboy barflies!!!!! Did not have dinner.. (ate at rodeo)The room wall had mold growing on it...they addressed the concerns about the mold with spray bleach, ( I think the mold comes from the brick interior sweating when the AC is on). Breakfast was like the equivalent of Sara Lee outta the microwave....a dry "honeybun" ....really! Big Price for not much....but the economy is in a downturn so maybe that is the reason. I hope they can get it back to where it was....the Flint Hills are beautiful, but be forewarned...this is a pricey little boutique hotel in the middle of a very sleepy town in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank amoundbuilder
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The Grand Central is a decent hotel, but not worth $160-190 a night for a room for 2 people. The room was large and attractive, but nothing unusually nice. There is no hotel registrion desk, you are checked in and out by people working in the restaurant. There is no one available and things like ice are unavailable after 10PM.

I would stay ther again for $75-80/night, but not a chance at that price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lighthouselovertoo
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This historical hotel is beautifully and comfortably renovated. Eventhough it was 106^F outside -- not kidding! -- the interior was comfortable. We spent two nights and ate in the hotel's restuarant both nights. The food -- steaks and similar items -- was excellent. Only a few miles from the National Tall Grass Prairie, which we visited, and the scenic Flint Hills area of Kansas, this hotel is a good choice if you're planning to visit the park.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
No photo provided
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Emporia

Been to Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!