“Best kept Medora secret and they take dogs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Medora
Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch and Trail Head
Killeen, Texas
“Best kept Medora secret and they take dogs”
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Just got done staying here and so glad I didn't believe the bad reviews. It's called a RANCH so yes it's a ranch road in ND to get there. Beds were comfortable and the room was super clean, looked new. You check in at the bar/restaurant, but you are dealing with a family business. When I checked in I spoke with the owner a topical ND ranch man...but very impressed with him and his business skills. Since its a ranch it's out in the country, so it is dark at night .... bring a flash light to walk your dog. Will be staying here again. And THEY TAKE DOGS!!!! Only place in Medora that does.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Foeltz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This is the second year that we have stayed here on our way to Glacier Park. We like it because it meets our needs of parking for our trailer, a bar/restaurant within walking distance (it is across the road from the hotel), reasonable price for the area (it is an expensive area to stay). We enjoy it because we can go 4-wheeling on the gravel roads then have a good steak dinner. The staff was not the fastest but they were friendly. We had a very nice room, it was decorated in the western theme which is quite appropriate, the bathroom had been redone, loved the hooks made out of horse shoes!

The first time we stayed there we were concerned by the long gravel road and no sign for the office because you check in at the bar. But once we got used to that it makes sense to have the staff multi-function. We look forward to staying there next year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I thought that this would be a great option for a mid-trip stopover on our way to Yellowstone. I should have known that this was going to be an "interesting" place to stay when we had to check in at a bar, complete with buzzed patrons using all sorts of colorful language (was glad I'd left my kids in the car with their mom). The website shows a quaint little mom and pop guest ranch with quilts on the beds in bright cabin-like rooms. The room we were given was dark, curtains were thin as cheesecloth, bathroom had a heavily mildewed shower curtain and missing light cover. We were afraid to take our shoes off as the carpet looked pretty old. The quilts on the beds were replaced by what looked to be discards from another hotel (along with most of the furniture in the room). Outside was dusty, junk was lying everywhere, lumber lay in the middle of the driveway, etc. At some point during the LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG night, our rowdy "neighbors" returned from a night in Medora and spent a half hour talking outside our hotel room door. As I lie in bed, I could hear every word as the doors are apparently paper-thin. I woke up at 4 a.m. when the rising sun came in through the cheesecloth-like curtain on the back door.

This all being said, I will say that things were relatively clean in the room. We did not find any evidence of bed bugs and I did not witness some of the bathroom problems reported by others (with exception of the mildewed shower curtain).

I am disappointed that the price that I saw on the web apparently changed between when I made my reservation and when I checked in. The website also makes it seem like children are included with the price of one or two adults - nope, every extra person is another ten bucks. My family of 5 could have stayed in the Medora AmericInn for about $40 more (TOTAL!) and had an indoor pool, remodeled room and hot breakfast. Gosh, I wish I had known this much better quality option was right in Medora. Next time I stay in the area, we will stay there.

We were glad to see the Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch in our rear-view mirror when we left in the morning. I would not rank this as a very relaxing night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Eric C
Minneapolis
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I had to attend a conference in nearby Medora, and chose to stay at this rustic location because it is pet friendly and I needed to bring my dog. The ranch is unique and in a beautiful location. Convenient access to the trail is just steps from the restaurant/office/bar. I enjoyed hiking on it with my dog on a lazy Sunday afternoon. The wifi and Direct TV also worked great.

If you are looking for top notch service with frills, bells and whistles, this is not the place to stay. The rooms are decorated with cute western themes and mine was generally comfortable. However, certain elements of it left a little to be desired. Take for instance the grubby, formerly white shower curtain that was recycled from another hotel had turned grey/black on the bottom from years of use. The bathroom wasn't entirely clean either when I arrived. These little details didn't bother me that much, but others may not appreciate it. The ranch appears to be family owned and I found it difficult to track people down when I needed to check out. Also the staff didn't seem overly friendly or enthusiastic about providing service. This was true with the interactions regarding the room and in the restaurant on site. The food was mediocre at best, but edible and convenient. Breakfast in the restaurant did not start until between 7:30-8:00 a.m. which was inconvenient for me because my morning meetings began at 8:00 a.m. in town.

I will most likely have to stay at this place again for business, since I frequently travel that area with my dog and don't want to drive to Dickinson for pet-friendly lodging. It worked for my purposes, but travelers beware if you are looking for retreat, luxury, comfort, fluff, or great service; you won't find it at the Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Breckenridge
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband, myself and two dogs recently spent two long creepy nights at this "Guest Ranch". Granted it was in the off-season, but the place was spooky. When we woke up the first morning there was not a SOUL on the property except my husband and myself.

The room was THE MOST FILTHY I have ever seen. The floor was concrete and had not been cleaned in months -- maybe ever. The stench was as if we were staying in the barn -- a nice touch at a Dude Ranch, and the lighting was awful -- we only noticed the throw rugs that had years of accumulation of pet hair and filth in the morning. It really gave me the creeps! The ONLY reason we stayed the second night was because all the dog friendly hotels (nearest was in Dickinson) were so either booked or outrageously expensive -- supply and demand with all the oil work going on up there.

I was amazed they actually "up-charged" us to stay in the dog-friendly room! I didn't even like my dogs playing on the floor it was so bad!

Ick,Ick, Ick -- stay away!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Judi L
Morocco, Indiana
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed here for a week last fall on a working trip. Stayed in the new cabins and they were nice, clean and well equipped for this part of the country. Did not stay in the rooms and cant comment on them. Owner was very nice and always there. It looked like they could throw a pretty good party . The food was good and reasonably priced. We are not picky so if you are looking for 4 star accommodations you will need to look elsewhere. We enjoyed the deck and the privacy of having a cabin away from the motel. We will be staying there this fall for 4 weeks.

Room Tip: Stay in a cabin if they are available
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I have been coming to the guest ranch for the past four years, this time we brought our infant daughter.

I remember the first time we came out, we thought we were on the wrong dirt road when we stumbled upon a classic guest ranch. We enjoyed cocktails and a great steak dinner in a rustic setting dinning room overlooking the badlands. Then a old fashioned country band showed up much to our surprise! We were hooked.

To be clear, this is a guest ranch, not a Hilton. If you want fancy you might as well read no further. That's why we enjoy it so much.

Dining: Always have had the steak dinner, why eat anything else when your at a ranch of all places?! The cuts are good, tender and you get the classic beans, roll, baked potato and salad bar for under $20. Yes the plates are hard plastic, do I need to remind you your at a ranch?
Breakfast buffet always has great eggs, potato, sausage, biscuits etc. They've always made some fresh for me as well, perfect to load up on pre-hike.
Lets talk about the flies since it seems everybody has. Yes, you are on a ranch and there are flies everywhere, they come in when people come in. I'd rather shoo them then eat with fly tape hanging over my table.

Cabin:

This was our first time staying in the "lodge", we normally camp. We stayed in the new section, and frankly were shocked at how nice it was! Two fullsize beds, bunkbeds, comfy mattress, microwave, fridge, great heating/a/c units and a flat screen with more channels than most hotels(not like you come out here to watch TV anyways). This made our trip that much easier with our little one. The walls are comparable to every other hotel you stay at, I stay at way more hotels than I wish to for work.

Service:

Always has had staff that was very friendly and enjoyable, they try hard to make sure your happy. Sometimes there is a small language barrier but that helps add to the charm of the place. The owner and his wife are often on site and we have always found them enjoyable and helpful.

Summary:

The uniqueness and location of this ranch has kept and will keep us returning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Outdoorsfamily1

Been to Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch and Trail Head? Share your experiences!