“Nostalgic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Medora
Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch and Trail Head
Windsor, California
“Nostalgic”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Other Medora hotels were booked so I started calling down the line of area hotels. What a lucky break for me! Middle of nowhere cowboy hotel with 3 cheeky old cowboys playing great old country music in a charming setting on a Sat night.... Friendly locals. Breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired but surprised they offered any at all. Would absolutely return!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had little idea what to expect at Buffalo Gap Ranch. As we drove along the gravel road we had the feeling we were lost. But over the next hill was the ranch in the midst of a full rodeo. I am not a cowboy and my wife is not a cowgirl but the experience was like a ride on a wild horse. I put a piece of straw in my mouth and wished for a ten gallon hat. This was a real experience. The staff was kind and helpful. Nothing fancy here. It was fun to watch our dog adjust to the horses and steers. Our room was nothing fancy but added to the overall positive experience. We emailed our friends about our experience only to discover some of them have stayed at Buffalo Gap Ranch. The café is a bit on the rough side. Don’t make your drink order to difficult or the bartender will ask you for the recipe. I was surprised to find that my wife enjoyed the experience. It was a real kick. If you have children check to see if there will some riding and roping going on. They’ll love it. Give it a try. Giddy up.

1 Thank James M
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here with my mother, two dogs and horse. The place was great! The people were wonderful... Except for the waitress's. the rooms were very clean and was a great place for myself, mom and dogs. Although I will never bring a horse again now will I recommend boarding a horse here. It was dark when I got there and they told me to just put him anywhere, everywhere in the barn didn't have water and the first three pens I trie outside didn't have a latch. When I finally found a pen with a latch there were boards and broken panels. I finally for a good pen and I felt so bad leaving him for the night. He was all well and good in the am and everything else was wonderful!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Haelwe432
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Reserved a cabin. Got there and was not sure where to check in. Turns out it was in the bar. Very creepy to check in and have 20 men stare and listen as they explain which cabin was yours and how to get there. Get to the cabin and it reeked of wet dog. Seemed clean, but stunk. Maybe did not help that it was super hot out and humid that day, but there was no way we could stay there. We ended up swapping if for one of their motel rooms that was better. It was fairly clean and had a nice big fridge. BUT.... it was full of flies, dozens of them, the internet sucked and the tub did not drain. Beds were clean and comfy. Staff was helpful, but some were just plain rude. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Say no to cabin 19
2 Thank arlopear
Bismarck
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The cabin we booked was 100+ degrees inside and smelled like wet, rotting dog when we checked in. There are no signs as to where the "office" is--we walked up to the bar to ask and had to provide payment, get keys and fill out papers while standing at the bar next to a bunch of guys drinking beer. I really loved having them hear what room I was staying in. Staff hardly spoke English. Buffet food sitting out was covered in flies. We ended up asking for a different room because the smell in the cabin was overwhelming. The second room was full of flies and no fly swatter so we swatted all night with napkins and towels. Tub didn't drain, medicine cabinet was full of bugs. Carpet, chairs and towels were stained and worn out. You can hear everything in the rooms next to you, including the creaky floors. We sure were not going to spend a second night at this place. We were never informed of a 48-hour notice for cancellation so we ended up paying $220 for one miserable night because the owner, Ole, refused to allow us to cancel 24 hours ahead of time (which is what we were told was the rule when we booked the room). They should be reported to the BBB.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel
5 Thank afonk
Mandan, North Dakota
Reviewed 9 August 2013

If you want a true North Dakota Badlands experience stay at Buffalo Gap.The people are friendly, the price is right and the prairie is wide.Enjoy the trails, big sky,restaurant and gorgeous scenery.Huge plus is they are pet friendly for those who like to travel with their furry friends!Stay in one of their cabin's, it's modern but super private and makes you feel at peace with the world.

Room Tip: Stay in a cabin.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank M701
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2013

For a city girl like me, staying at Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch was a really fun experience! The ranch is in a pretty area about 15 minutes outside of Medora. The rooms were very ranch-y and cute with wooden walls and horseshoe shaped hooks on the walls. Our room was very clean (looked recently renovated?) with two comfy queen beds and a bunk bed, flat screen tv, mini fridge, and microwave. There is also a tavern/pub onsite and it offers a breakfast buffet in the morning.

I loved the peacefulness around the ranch - it gets really dark out there and you can see the stars really well. The family(?) that runs the place is very nice too! Definitely check it out if you're heading through Medora!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Caitlyn321

Been to Buffalo Gap Guest Ranch and Trail Head? Share your experiences!