“A Pleasant Surprise”

Price range: US$15 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2011

My husband and I dined here using a restaurants.com coupon, which was good, only on the chef's tasting at $36.00 per person, plates cannot be shared. We had a bad feeling that we were going to spend a pretty penny, and possibly still leave hungry, but our hunch was very wrong. We dined on a rainy Friday evening, tried to get in to catch cocktail hour. 2 for 1 cocktails. My husband had a unique rum drink, and I had the pomegranate champagne cocktail, both very good. We were seated at a table downstairs looking out the front window of the restaurant, and from there I noticed only good things about the decor and ambiance. Our server, attentive, went through the entire menu with us before I shared with him our coupon, allowing us to only order the chefs tasting so we had a nice idea of what we were about to embark on. First course was a few bites of a pistachio and leek cheesy baked thing...I know I made it sound really gourmet just now! It was delicious. My husband and I then each had our own own personal cheese board, followed by a 3rd course which was personal mediterranean plates with fantastic hummus, baba ghanoush, lentil salad, pita, and olives! 4th course was a flight of soups...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED regardless of what else you order. We each had 4 kinds of soups, all so delicious! We had a 4th course which was a flight of all things deep fried, buttermilk chicken, fish, jambalaya cake, and polenta. A 5th course which the waiter referred to as the carnivorous course which included another 2 flights of food at the table. Wonderful beef stew in this course! The only thing I didn't really care for was the bok choy burger so my husband enjoyed both of ours of course. Course 6- Dessert. Strawberry shortcake creme brule, a homemade donut and one other dessert bite that it slipping my food coma memory. All in all totally worth every penny we spent. We had a fun time sipping our cocktails watching the minutes of our enjoyable neighborhood unfold, and eating course after course of beautifully prepared creative dishes. Highly recommended to you reading this wondering if should waste your time...yes, do it...you won't be wasting anything!

2  Thank BuffaloGirl4Ever
There are newer reviews for Sample

Reviewed 30 September 2011

If you haven't tried small plate dining, then try sample. Food portinos are really pretty good and the food itself is excellent! Cool drink menu, too. Try the Creme Brulee Trio for dessert.

1  Thank Prince-O
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I'm an area native and this was my first visit. We were shocked by the interior of the place - total disrepair except for beautiful restrooms. We each got every single one of the samples on the menu and enjoyed every last bite. It was lovely to be able to try everything and not have to choose! The problem though is the menu does not change, and since we tried everything we have no reason to go back. This is great for a first time visitor though.

Reviewed 10 January 2011

Let's deal with the unfortunate circumstances first - which I would willingly forgive. As is the case for many buildings on Allen Street in Buffalo, the architecture is old (and charming). Unfortunately, this place needs some upkeep including relocation of the the heat ducts located in the floor. During the meal, I suddenly found myself on the floor after one of the legs of my chair fell through a vented heat duct located in the floor, underneath our table. While the waiter was quick to respond to ask if I was alright, no other compensation was ever offered. Sure things happen, but I would have expected some offer to address such an unfortunate and potentially damaging circumstance.

As for the rest of the evening, our server really did a nice job and we were pleased with his attention. Unfortunately, while we love tapas style servings, we found the food quality lacking. This was especially true for the sea bass which was sent back because it smelled so bad. (I insisted on tasting it even though my wife urged me not to do so. I should have followed her suggestion.)

Actually, we felt that this restaurant has great potential. The local ambiance is lovely and the concept is great - but they need to move the quality up a notch or two. If they do that, they will be a welcomed addition to the Buffalo scene. We might go back... but we'll wait awhile and be cautious when we return.

Reviewed 17 October 2010

We decided to go to Sample on a recommendation of a friend. When I called for reservations I was curtly told "9:00pm at the EARLIEST." It was Local Restaurant Week and understandable they were booked up until then.

I informed them they we were coming for the LRW menu. When we got there, we were told that under no uncertain circumstances would we be allowed to share. Since we had dined and shared a meal at another restaurant beforehand, we were unable to eat 2 entire meals between us.

We opted to select an appetizer and a few of the entree sample bites. The cheese plate we started with was uninteresting and bland. The "bite sized samples" were ok, but nothing to brag about and finally we ordered dessert. The s'mores were lacklustre. We were happy to get out of there.

The service was not particularly friendly or accommodating. Upon returning home, our friend told us that he had been allowed to share, however he had to sit at the bar. We would have been happy to do that.

I might go back and try Sample again, but there are so many other great restaurants out there I would sooner go to.