“Small boutique hotel with character and calm”

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I have stayed here on 11 occasions now over 5 years, and it is always good to return. Calm and peaceful, very relaxing after a day at work. The rooms are varied, large and medium-sized, but all are well-appointed with high quality linen and decoration.

The service is good, including the Butler Service, and there are lots of absolutely excellent local restaurants. There is Wi-Fi, laundry service, and anything else a business traveller needs. Could do with iPod docks in the rooms, but otherwise it is great. Will continue to return here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Alphablack
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Thank you for your review and for consistently choosing The Mansion. We are aware that there are many hotel choices in Buffalo and we appreciate your loyalty to MoDA. We are glad to hear that you find many of the services and amenities designed specifically for business travelers so useful. I am excited about the new inroom technology package we are currently creating for all guest rooms - I don't want to give too much away but it will allow guests to digitize services that they would usually have to pick up the phone for - such as wake-up calls, concierge services, arranging Land Rover transportation - and it will include ipod connectivity! Ask me about it the next time you're in.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed here for two nights while my husband took the bar exam. Everything about this hotel is wonderful. The rooms are nice and clean. The butlers will shuttle you around town in the hotel Land Rover or pick up take-out from any of the area restaurants. There is a complimentary happy hour (with an amazing selection) from 5-7 in one of the gathering rooms. There is a free continental style breakfast with delicious fruit, baked goods, and a variety of other options. The butler staff brings peanut butter cookies to the room each night when they do turn down service. I could go on and on about this place. We will definitely be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

Thank you for your recommendations and your review! We're glad you found a comfortable 'home base' for the stressful Bar Exam visit. Buffalo has an amazing local restaurant scene led by chefs and owners committed to using fresh, locally produced ingredients and products and we're glad you were able to experience a bit of 'local Buffalo' delivered to your room by the Butlers! We look forward to welcoming you again soon - just a warning, your turn down treat may not be those delicious peanut butter cookies next time - it might be chocolate covered popcorn...or house made truffles...or chocolate chunk cookies...or house made chocolate bark.... ; )

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were so surprised with the inconsistent and disappointing service we received at the Mansion. The rates are very high and we received very little customer service. I returned to Buffalo to marry. We decided to spend our first two nights as a married couple at the Mansion. When my fiancee arrived, no one was available to help him with our luggage or with check in. The night after we arrived we had dinner plans on Hertel Ave. When we asked for a ride the front desk told us that they do not go beyond a 3 to 4 mile area and that that was outside their range-I looked on line and the restaurant was 4.4 miles - that was simply rude. When we were checking out we called down to the front desk to ask for help with our bags - they sent up a young girl, who was unable to lift any of our bags, so we ended up carrying our own bags - when we got downstairs to check out, there were three people standing there - they could have helped with the bags. The head of housekeeping was the only bright spot in our stay, she actually drove my fiancee to the wedding venue, because no one else was there to help him at 2 pm. Unfortunately, with great disappointment I cannot recommend this Buffalo institution - its not worth the money. Another hotel in the Buffalo area offered us a great deal to stay with them, but we wanted to stay at the Mansion, which made our experience even more disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Buffalogirl41
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

I am grateful for this review and for the personal email the reviewer sent to me at the hotel. I have responded in more depth to the personal email, but let me just say that I sincerely appreciate the comments that only a guest can offer regarding their stay. I am disappointed and share my sincerest apologies that this guest’s stay did not meet expectations - service and our staff are two elements on which we pride ourselves – our beautiful building and décor are truly just a shell without superior service - when we do not meet those expectations 100% we are grateful to have this brought to our attention so we may correct mistakes and offer a sincere apology.
Regarding The Mansion’s complimentary Land Rover transportation, we have always provided this service within a 3 mile radius of the hotel; I’m not sure who quoted that misinformation, but I apologize for the confusion. The 3 mile radius is and always has been a standard distance chosen by The Mansion to ensure that we can accommodate all guests with the same services and amenities. 3 miles encompasses literally hundreds of restaurants, theaters, museums, shopping venues and much, much more. I am glad that we were able to accommodate an early 2pm check in and provide transportation to the Historical Society for the wedding. All members of our staff are responsible for guest services, including Sales Team, Food and Beverage Team and our Director of Housekeeping. The driver was chosen that day not because ‘no one else was there to help’, but because that was simply the driver at that moment. Transportation was provided, as standard, in The Mansion’s Land Rover.
Regarding difficulty with baggage, the staff member who assisted is not a ‘young girl’ but a professional young woman in our Butler Team who assists guests with bags daily. There are always times when additional help is needed with guest baggage, and I’m still not sure why this Butler did not request additional help from the team. I am continuing to look into this and I apologize for her oversight and the inconvenience.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

The only other place I have ever received such attentive service in a hotel was in a Ritz Carlton, and here it was even better because it was even more personal, because the hotel is small. Our wedding anniversary occurred while we were there, and the staff even gave my husband a clipping of orchids from their own displays to give to me!

The salons on the main floor were beautiful. ; We enjoyed the free happy hour drinks from 5-7 one evening in that elegant, relaxing salon, and that self-serve bar is open the rest of the time as a honor bar -- you just record what you drink.

Breakfast, included in our room rate of $195, was fresh and delicious - fresh fruit, pastries, coffee, etc.

The room itself was not large but was very nice, and the shower had special massage shower heads.

My only minor complaint was too much light coming around the window shades in the morning. For the second night, the staff gave us a sheet that we draped over the window, and it solved the problem.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review - 'exceptional service' is what we strive for with every guest who enters the hotel! I am so glad that you were able to enjoy The Mansion's standard complimentary services and amenities...as well as the personalized special touches for which the Butler Team is known. We truly believe it is important to hear all comments and suggestions and we thank you for sharing your comment regarding bright light in the morning. We are sorry that the blinds could not adequately keep out the bright summer sunlight and thanks to your comments we are now looking at all eastern facing windows to insure they are room darkening enough for our sunny Buffalo summers! I’m glad you enjoyed your guestroom and shower – there are a variety of room types at MoDA, some offering standard hotel size and others offering more majestic architectural detail and scale – all guestrooms, though, offer the same décor, services and amenities. Thank you for the lovely photos.

Reviewed 23 July 2011

In Buffalo/Niagara Falls area on business, this was my first time at this great hotel - loved the free valet parking - used the free Land Rover transport for dinner with colleagues one night (butlers recommendation of Tempo restaurant was excellent - they made the reservations and we were treated very well). Amazing free breakfast, beautiful building, very comfortable room and great shower, free hi-speed internet, a very metro-cool feel to the entire experience - complete with very handsome butlers. I truly can't wait for a return trip to Buffalo and The Mansion.

Room Tip: Colleague referred this hotel - went to their website and booked a special 'up down' rate of...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank hurleybea

Thank you for taking the time to place a review. I was happy to hear that many of The Mansion's services and amenities were so helpful to you and that the Butler's restaurant suggestion was spot on - It is always helpful to have a Mansion Butler make your reservation...and then arrive to the restaurant in a chauffeured Land Rover! I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the 'Up,Up,Down' promotion through our website. We hope you once again have an opportunity to soon visit our great city and The Mansion on Delaware Avenue.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Our niece and her new husband had about 100 people at their wedding last weekend (7/2011) at the Mansion on Delaware Avenue. The food was amazing, artfully displayed and tactfully served by the wait staff. The service was downstairs in front of the fireplace and beautiful. After the service we went outside for pictures, cocktails and hors devours and everything was beautifully landscaped and comfortable (in spite of the heat wave.) Next we had dinner upstairs with terrific food including lots of fresh fruit and cheese, corned beef and gourmet pizza with specialties served table-to-table by the wait staff. The desserts were amazing...I can still taste the peanut butter chocolate torte and the wedding cake was yummy. Finally we went downstairs for dancing and cocktails. What a terrific event thanks to the hard working and very well trained staff at the Mansion.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lynn D
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Staff was wonderful, felt like friends made great restaurant recommendations Hotel was right up the block from the wedding venu had some really good art on the walls and a diverse breakfast, good coffee! right downtown.... we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MIpam
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Thank you for your review...and for your comment about the coffee- we have just begun brewing our own special blend created by a local roaster and it is fantastic - a darker roast, very smooth.