“Gorgeous Hotel but Not Quite What you would Expect” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mansion on Delaware Avenue

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
Ireland
“Gorgeous Hotel but Not Quite What you would Expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

On arrival the hotel is absolutely beautiful. The staff are so friendly and welcoming and incredibly helpful. After a long journey to Buffalo I was delighted to find myself in such gorgeous surrounds. The fact that they have an honour bar where you can serve yourself and relax in style really is a plus.

My only issues with the hotel were as follows.

Firstly, on the first morning of my stay, I accidentally spilled makeup down the front of one of the hotel bathrobes. I left it on the floor in the bathroom along with my towels - an action which I have always understood indicated that I wanted new ones. At any rate, I was dismayed to find the robe had been hung back up in the closet later that evening so I put it back on the floor in the bathroom hoping the hint would be gotten. No luck. It wasn't until four days in that the robe was actually replaced with a clean one. May seem like a small thing but it was obviously ignored and it made me wonder if my towels were being replaced at all or just re-folded and put around the tub.

The treadmill was out of service. I understand from reading previous reviews that it has possibly been out of service for a while - myself and my colleague were told they had no idea it wasn't working and that they had called someone to service it.

When leaving I asked for the receipt for dinner I had ordered from a nearby restaurant which was delivered to me at the hotel (as the hotel does not have a restaurant). The reception staff had lost my receipt which means I am now unable to claim it as an expense. I asked them to re-check their books just in case it was overlooked. I am still waiting to hear if anything has been found and it's been two days.

As a business traveller I didn't feel this hotel lived up to expectations.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lavajonation
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for your review. You are absolutely correct, linen & terry (robes included) placed on the floor ARE a universal request for a fresh replacement – I apologize for our oversight in not providing a fresh robe. It is definitely not a ‘small thing’ and we truly appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The Mansion is an istaygreen and Green & Mean It green-hospitality certified hotel, and housekeeping staff is trained to replace linens, but allow reuse when a guest prefers. I have spoken with our housekeeping supervisor and thanks to your review she has taken the opportunity to go over this procedure with the housekeeping team. We were surprised to hear that the treadmill was inoperable because it had just been repaired – I am sorry for the inconvenience. We have now ordered a new treadmill and look forward to this Fitness Suite update. I am sorry that your receipt for take-out food was lost – we understand how important travel receipts are. Guests enjoy the complimentary service of take-out items ordered, delivered and served to room by MoDA’s Butlers. The Butler Team’s excellent rapport with downtown restaurants including Tempo, Hutch’s and SeaBar to name a few, provides a wonderful opportunity for guests to experience these delicious menu items in one of the hotel’s Salons or comfortably in-room. I reviewed the several email correspondences that you had with The Mansion’s Butlers and I saw that they responded to your emails promptly – and I was glad to to see that they not only searched throughout the hotel’s records, but also contacted the restaurant directly to try to obtain a receipt as well as offered to have a new receipt created, if that would work. It is our sincere hope that you will again choose The Mansion on your next trip to Buffalo.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

The Mansion on Delaware is the best place to stay in Buffalo, bar none. The staff, especially the concierge, Lauren Larsen, is fantastic. There is a town car to take you wherever you want to go. And there are two lovely reception rooms to sit and have a glass of wine and entertain your friends in the evening. The buffet breakfast is beautifullly arranged with croissants, sweet rolls, fruits, cheeses, and sliced meat. You could not ask for anything more. The room prices are high for Buffalo but it is execellent value because of the many extras. Love the place to death.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor in the back are quiet but I'm sure all the room are failry quiet. The...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thank you for your review! I have shared your kind comments with Lauren and the Butler Team. It's always helpful to hear which of the many services and amenities are guest favorites - so glad to know that both the complimentary cocktails & wine and complimentary breakfast were so enjoyed. We have heard the comment quite often that MoDA is an "execellent value because of the many extras"...24 hour Butler service, complimentary valet parking, downtown Range Rover transport, wifi & hi-speed internet, breakfast, cocktails, pressing, shoeshine... the list goes on. We hope to welcome you back to The Mansion on Delaware Avenue on your next visit to Buffalo from Vancouver!
Brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue is a luxurious boutique hotel in a historic converted mansion (if you didn't guess from the name). My room (201) was unbelievably great--soaring ceilings, wonderful furnishings, plenty of space, and lots of light. The little touches and attention to detail were charming: a couple of personalized "in residence at The Mansion" business cards, and an extremely tasty cookie were two of them.

The bed was very comfortable; I slept better than I usually do in a hotel.

The service was simply outstanding; each one of the "butlers" was polite, professional, and knowledgeable.

So why only 4 out of 5? There was a crevasse between one corner of the tub and the wall, which apart from being unattractive, made me wonder what might be crawling around in there (not that I saw anything). Then on closer inspection, the bathroom floor clearly hadn't been cleaned before I arrived--I saw coffee stains and other dirty spots as well. Lastly, the room had an old-school tube TV. A hotel of this caliber should have a modern entertainment system.

Despite those minor shortcomings, I would undoubtedly stay here again and recommend it to anyone who's going to Buffalo.

Room Tip: The rooms on the "upper" 4th floor have lower ceilings but are still nice. the "00&q...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that you would "undoubtedly stay here again and recommend it to anyone who's going to Buffalo" - we look forward to welcoming you back. I also thank you for your observations regarding your guestroom bathroom (and for informing me of the specific room number). I can understand your concern about the limestone bathroom floors, but I must assure you that they are extremely clean. Limestone, while beautiful, was a poor design choice for our hotel bathrooms. The stone naturally discolors over time and sometimes this natural patina that is created appears stained even though having just been thoroughly cleaned. The hotel is continually being updated and remodeled, and we have recently renovated several guest bathrooms, including a new heated floor choice, and will continue with these renovations to fix this design flaw. I also apologize that we did not observe and repair the cracked tub grout prior to your arrival. Your assessment of the television in your room is spot on. Most guestrooms have flat screen televisions in room, and we are very excited about the new in-room technology package we are currently creating, making flat screen televisions as well as guestroom tablet-based control units standard in all guestrooms. It is our goal that on your return to MoDA, your review title will be changed from 'Almost Perfect' to 'Perfect'!
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

The Mansion on Delaware offers a superb location and the feelings of home. As someone who travels over 200 days/year I fully appreciated the many subtle touches of this property. This review should be viewed through the lens of a business traveler.

Pros
- Location, location, location to downtown Buffalo
- Wonderful staff
- Well appointed first floor common areas
- Very comfortable beds
- Generous and sumptuous breakfasts

Less than Positive
- In general, the technology in this property is behind its peers. No WiFi, multiple controls for TVs and fewer wall plugs than newer properties (my bathroom had only one plug and it wasn't GFI)
- No ice machines on the floors causing you to ring the front desk for each refill. My suggestion is to either get larger ice buckets place a public ice machine on the first floor.
- Bathroom in my room was clearly showing its age with a modular plastic shower/tub unit

If traveling to downtown Buffalo - you should definitely place this property on the top of your list...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
We are up to the challenge of crossing the border into greatness! Great title and thank you for your review. As an experienced business traveler we thank you for your insights and we are so happy to hear your appreciation of MoDA's service, staff, design, decor and amenities. The hotel does currently have wifi in all public areas and upon request of modem in guestrooms, but your comments regarding the hotel's technology are right on target with the improvements we are currently making - I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. The Mansion is committed to providing an exceptionally business friendly environment and I am very excited about the new in-room technology package we are currently designing for all guestrooms. This package will create uninterrupted & redundant wifi throughout the building, including all guestrooms, and will include an in-room tablet based system to allow guests to control their guestroom environment, including television, and digitize services and amenities. Thank you for your suggestion regarding larger ice buckets - ice delivery, as well as many other services, is provided by the Butler Team - I apologize for any inconvenience. I thank you, again, for your review - we believe The Mansion is the best choice for business travelers in Buffalo and comments and suggestions such as yours help us to continually improve and enhance the experience of our business travelers.
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

The note below was emailed to the Hotel just after my stay. No response from the Hotel, maybe they'll respond here.

"You may know that I had some issues with lighting in my room - 207. When I first arrived, the desk lamp did not work, trying different receptacles did nothing. Your staff was helpful and either immediately replaced it or fixed it so that it worked. Then later when I returned from dinner, I went to shut out the lights and there was no way I could shut off the floor lamp - there was no physical switch, no capacitive switch (I touched ALL metals several times), no pull cord to be seen. Of course reaching behind the chair and unplugging it finally worked, but it's a completely unsophisticated solution."

Other nits:
-The bathroom robe hook is loose and swivels on the door so it's not really a hook. -After breakfast, my colleague and I were locked out of our rooms (hers - 200) - our keys no longer worked.-The toilet roll in the bathroom was nearly empty when I arrived, hard to tell behind the cover, and I only found out at an inopportune moment...Cobwebs at the ceiling (closet and room). I found trying to shave in front of the sink with the offset mirror a challenge that should have been thought through."

I'll also add here that my room lacked the historic character of my colleague's rooms (moulding, fireplace, etc.) Not all room are equal, even though priced as such.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stan1138
We are very lucky that our guests respond so often to our ‘thank you’ emails – sharing details of their stay that help us understand which services and amenities are guests favorites, and more importantly, how we may improve our facilities and level of service. I clearly remember your email to us, which was invaluable, and the information in your email was used to fix immediate maintenance issues (such as the hook on the door) and also to review standard procedures with staff members that were lacking during your stay (such as ensuring all lighting in each guestroom is operating properly prior to guest arrival). I extend my sincere apologies to you, first, for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and second, for my oversight in not responding to your email. It is my standard to respond to every email we receive, and while I clearly recall speaking with you during your stay and reviewing your email with members of staff to correct mistakes made, I unfortunately did not respond directly to you. I have since contacted you directly via email, but I also wanted to extend this public apology, as well.
U.K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

The Mansion on Delaware offers everything you would expect of a hotel and more. The Hotel itself is a stunning building with a lot of history and character. The rooms are very clean and each one has an individual charm of its own. I stayed in a double/double and it was very spacious and comfortable. The beds are really comfortable and I found it dead easy to get to sleep. The bathroom was perfect and it contained the most amazing shower. Once in you didn't want to get out! I was on the fourth floor and I managed to pick up the wireless signal on my laptop.
Most of the time you feel you have this huge wonderful hotel and its staff all to yourself, even though it's fully booked. it offers a sense of individualism and space.
The breakfast is amazing and offers a wide range of fruit, cereals and pastries. My healthy fruit got cancelled out by the odd amazing donut or two! The breakfast display changes every morning and the presentation is wonderful.
The staff are all individual and professional, I'd like to give a shout out to Kent, who I would have squished into my suitcase and taken home if I could. All the staff offer an individual service and are professional in each of their positions. They will go out of their way to ensure your stay is memorable. Special thanks to Michael for getting my CD, Brendon for taking us for ice cream, Marty, Chris and all the other ladies and gents for taking and collecting us from all the wonderful restaurants recommended for dinner. Buffalo itself offers a huge range of history and wonderful places to visit. The city offers so much to see and do. The people are friendly and helpful, we walked around most of the time and it was great! I would recommend people spend more time here, because it has a lot to offer and thanks to all the locals for the suggestions on places to visit.
A special thanks also to Reno, it was lovely to see a hotel where the owner takes the time to engage with their guests and ensure that they are happy and comfortable.
I had a wonderful stay and I can not fault anything about this hotel or Buffalo.
Thank you to all and trust me I never wanted to leave.
I would recommend this hotel to all for class, service and an individual discretion when and if required.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bigsadie13
Thank you for your detailed review - it is always so helpful to other travelers to obtain 'insider' information from previous guests about our hotel and our region. It was also very kind of you to mention staff members by name and share your experiences at MoDA - it was truly our pleasure meeting you both. We're so glad you chose our beautiful Buffalo/Niagara region for your vacation to the U.S. and we thank you for choosing The Mansion on Delaware Avenue!
FLINT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My husband and I are from Flint, MI and we stayed at "THE MANSION" . It was suggested to us by our daughter-in-law who always drove by it on the way to the hospital. She graduated from UB Medical School on April 27, 2012, and she thought that if we stayed there--she could finally see what this beautiful mansion looked like inside. WE WERE ALL VERY IMPRESSED!!!

The staff is very friendly and attentive, also they are knowledgeable about the surrounding attractions, and venues. Our stay was warm and welcoming the beautiful fireplaces were always lit as it was a little chilly when we were there,. We would recommend "THE MANSION ON DELAWARE" -- TRICIA & KEITH McCORMICK

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TRICIA M
Thank you for your review - and congratulations to your family on the UB Med School graduation of your daughter-in-law! We're so glad you enjoyed the assistance of The Butler Team during your stay - there truly is no better way to take in all the attractions of the city than with knowledgeable Butler assistance and complimentary Range Rover transportation! We hope to welcome you back to The Mansion on your next visit to Buffalo.