“Simply the Best!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
“Simply the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

The gem of Buffalo. Our stay at the Mansion was an awesome experience. This boutique hotel is well located within walking distance of several great restaurants. Loved the butlers! The butler service is a unique concept and we found the hospitality both friendly and attentive. They provided excellent recommendations for dining and entertaiment. There is a hotel shuttle (a cool Range Rover Evoque) that is often available to transport guests to and from local destinations. The building has been renovated with a careful combination of restoration and modernization to make it suitable for comfortable luxurious accommodation. Common spaces are beautifully appointed in a way the highlights the detailed craftsmanship of the doorways and mouldings. It is decorated with a modern flair that lends the spaces a contemporary yet classic feel. We especially enjoyed playing billiards and meeting others between 5 and 7PM in the parlour.The Mansion is definitely recommended. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you had a wonderful Buffalo experience. Yes, the Butler Team provides a very unique service to guests with encompassing assistance - did you notice the license plate on the Range Rover - "BUTLERS1"!! Thank you, also, for commenting on the ' careful combination of restoration and modernization' of the hotel - we insist on the most modern and luxurious surroundings and amenities for guests, but we pay careful attention to the historic character of the building, as well. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you cross the border to Buffalo!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Wellesley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Two night stay in early June, 2012. The very good: attentive, responsive staff, excellent continental breakfast. I had no qualms about the location, depending on what you want access to in Buffalo. Less than 10 minutes from everywhere we were going, downtown, restaurants, etc. The not so good: rooms, especially the bathrooms are showing some age. the TP fixture was broken and one of the shower heads didn't work, the grout and tile needed refurbishing and the cover panel on the side of the tub was loose. Room was clean and acceptably furnished though the TV could be upgraded to a flat screen. Maid service was spotty--hand towels were lacking and the one in the room wasn't replaced with the daily cleaning. Turn down service and promised water and ice service was missed the second night. Should have an ironing board and iron in the room so you don't have to request. We don't go to Buffalo often, but I'd stay again if some renovation is done.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Canisiusgrad
Thank you for your review. It was written with specific details and that is so helpful to us as we continue to provide services and amenities that guests enjoy, as well as make necessary improvements. Thank you, also, for remarking on the attentiveness of the Butler Team and the quality of the complimentary breakfast - I share all comments with our staff and acknowledgement of their hard work is always appreciated. I was very glad to hear that you would like to return to the hotel on a subsequent visit. Renovations of this beautiful 140 year old building are continual and ongoing, with small and large projects currently underway. It is a continuous process to be good stewards of this historic building while also providing the most current and comfortable environment for our guests. Currently we are in the process of updating and renovating bathrooms, fitness suite, guestroom HVAC, Fireside and Billiards Salon design & decor, and guest room technology package. Thank you for choosing The Mansion and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Buffalo.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

The Mansion has seen better days and calling your staff butlers doesn't add class or appeal. For Buffalo, I guess it's good, but any major high end hotel chain has it beat. Not worth the $ and in a bad location.

• Stayed May 2012
7 Thank Empire1guy
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear that The Mansion did not meet your expectations. We are very proud of our city and region, and believe there are many good hotel choices in Buffalo; however, we feel that The Mansion is the best choice. The goal of The Butler Team is not to "add class or appeal", but rather to seamlessly assist guests in experiencing their best possible stay at The Mansion and in the Buffalo Region. I'm sorry that you feel The Mansion is not a good value; many guests disagree and find great value in the complimentary valet parking, downtown Range Rover transportation, breakfast, afternoon cocktails, internet access, pressing, shoe shine, Butler service & assistance... and so much more. We also believe The Mansion is a convenient downtown location on Buffalo's premier avenue, with literally hundreds of companies, restaurants, theaters & shops close by.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times. It is one of the finest examples of a comfortable hotel with wonderful service. Would strongly recommend for business travel and for couples.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I thank you for consistently choosing The Mansion and I'm so glad to hear that your experience is consistently 'wonderful'! Thank you, also, for recognizing the service of The Butler Team. They are city knowledgeable, professional, yet friendly & approachable; and they assist guests in making the most of their stay in Buffalo and at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue.
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

On arrival the hotel is absolutely beautiful. The staff are so friendly and welcoming and incredibly helpful. After a long journey to Buffalo I was delighted to find myself in such gorgeous surrounds. The fact that they have an honour bar where you can serve yourself and relax in style really is a plus.

My only issues with the hotel were as follows.

Firstly, on the first morning of my stay, I accidentally spilled makeup down the front of one of the hotel bathrobes. I left it on the floor in the bathroom along with my towels - an action which I have always understood indicated that I wanted new ones. At any rate, I was dismayed to find the robe had been hung back up in the closet later that evening so I put it back on the floor in the bathroom hoping the hint would be gotten. No luck. It wasn't until four days in that the robe was actually replaced with a clean one. May seem like a small thing but it was obviously ignored and it made me wonder if my towels were being replaced at all or just re-folded and put around the tub.

The treadmill was out of service. I understand from reading previous reviews that it has possibly been out of service for a while - myself and my colleague were told they had no idea it wasn't working and that they had called someone to service it.

When leaving I asked for the receipt for dinner I had ordered from a nearby restaurant which was delivered to me at the hotel (as the hotel does not have a restaurant). The reception staff had lost my receipt which means I am now unable to claim it as an expense. I asked them to re-check their books just in case it was overlooked. I am still waiting to hear if anything has been found and it's been two days.

As a business traveller I didn't feel this hotel lived up to expectations.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank lavajonation
Thank you for your review. You are absolutely correct, linen & terry (robes included) placed on the floor ARE a universal request for a fresh replacement – I apologize for our oversight in not providing a fresh robe. It is definitely not a ‘small thing’ and we truly appreciate that you brought this to our attention. The Mansion is an istaygreen and Green & Mean It green-hospitality certified hotel, and housekeeping staff is trained to replace linens, but allow reuse when a guest prefers. I have spoken with our housekeeping supervisor and thanks to your review she has taken the opportunity to go over this procedure with the housekeeping team. We were surprised to hear that the treadmill was inoperable because it had just been repaired – I am sorry for the inconvenience. We have now ordered a new treadmill and look forward to this Fitness Suite update. I am sorry that your receipt for take-out food was lost – we understand how important travel receipts are. Guests enjoy the complimentary service of take-out items ordered, delivered and served to room by MoDA’s Butlers. The Butler Team’s excellent rapport with downtown restaurants including Tempo, Hutch’s and SeaBar to name a few, provides a wonderful opportunity for guests to experience these delicious menu items in one of the hotel’s Salons or comfortably in-room. I reviewed the several email correspondences that you had with The Mansion’s Butlers and I saw that they responded to your emails promptly – and I was glad to to see that they not only searched throughout the hotel’s records, but also contacted the restaurant directly to try to obtain a receipt as well as offered to have a new receipt created, if that would work. It is our sincere hope that you will again choose The Mansion on your next trip to Buffalo.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

The Mansion on Delaware is the best place to stay in Buffalo, bar none. The staff, especially the concierge, Lauren Larsen, is fantastic. There is a town car to take you wherever you want to go. And there are two lovely reception rooms to sit and have a glass of wine and entertain your friends in the evening. The buffet breakfast is beautifullly arranged with croissants, sweet rolls, fruits, cheeses, and sliced meat. You could not ask for anything more. The room prices are high for Buffalo but it is execellent value because of the many extras. Love the place to death.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor in the back are quiet but I'm sure all the room are failry quiet. The...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thank you for your review! I have shared your kind comments with Lauren and the Butler Team. It's always helpful to hear which of the many services and amenities are guest favorites - so glad to know that both the complimentary cocktails & wine and complimentary breakfast were so enjoyed. We have heard the comment quite often that MoDA is an "execellent value because of the many extras"...24 hour Butler service, complimentary valet parking, downtown Range Rover transport, wifi & hi-speed internet, breakfast, cocktails, pressing, shoeshine... the list goes on. We hope to welcome you back to The Mansion on Delaware Avenue on your next visit to Buffalo from Vancouver!
Brooklyn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue is a luxurious boutique hotel in a historic converted mansion (if you didn't guess from the name). My room (201) was unbelievably great--soaring ceilings, wonderful furnishings, plenty of space, and lots of light. The little touches and attention to detail were charming: a couple of personalized "in residence at The Mansion" business cards, and an extremely tasty cookie were two of them.

The bed was very comfortable; I slept better than I usually do in a hotel.

The service was simply outstanding; each one of the "butlers" was polite, professional, and knowledgeable.

So why only 4 out of 5? There was a crevasse between one corner of the tub and the wall, which apart from being unattractive, made me wonder what might be crawling around in there (not that I saw anything). Then on closer inspection, the bathroom floor clearly hadn't been cleaned before I arrived--I saw coffee stains and other dirty spots as well. Lastly, the room had an old-school tube TV. A hotel of this caliber should have a modern entertainment system.

Despite those minor shortcomings, I would undoubtedly stay here again and recommend it to anyone who's going to Buffalo.

Room Tip: The rooms on the "upper" 4th floor have lower ceilings but are still nice. the "00&q...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
genop, Owner at The Mansion on Delaware Avenue, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that you would "undoubtedly stay here again and recommend it to anyone who's going to Buffalo" - we look forward to welcoming you back. I also thank you for your observations regarding your guestroom bathroom (and for informing me of the specific room number). I can understand your concern about the limestone bathroom floors, but I must assure you that they are extremely clean. Limestone, while beautiful, was a poor design choice for our hotel bathrooms. The stone naturally discolors over time and sometimes this natural patina that is created appears stained even though having just been thoroughly cleaned. The hotel is continually being updated and remodeled, and we have recently renovated several guest bathrooms, including a new heated floor choice, and will continue with these renovations to fix this design flaw. I also apologize that we did not observe and repair the cracked tub grout prior to your arrival. Your assessment of the television in your room is spot on. Most guestrooms have flat screen televisions in room, and we are very excited about the new in-room technology package we are currently creating, making flat screen televisions as well as guestroom tablet-based control units standard in all guestrooms. It is our goal that on your return to MoDA, your review title will be changed from 'Almost Perfect' to 'Perfect'!