“Wedding at the Mansion”

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 27 October 2008

We have stayed at the Mansion previously and knew right away it was the perfect place for our wedding. Two years later, we made good on that promise. The Mansion, quite simply, is Western New York's premier hotel and facility for such an occasion. Bar none. It has no equal. Not only did we have an unbelievably perfect event (which is the point, right?), but wedding guest after wedding guest after wedding guest commented to us how it was the best wedding they had ever been to and the best food they ever had at a wedding. The staff was great- perfect, really. The owner personally checked in with us several times and they treated our friends and family just as well. It was the perfect choice for us and our wedding and we highly recommend anyone stay there / have an event there.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2008

When choosing a hotel in the city of Buffalo, there is the Mansion and then there are (how should I put this?) other choices. :) Back in March 2008, we stayed one night at this magnificent hotel through the "Pamper Your Palate" E-Special on the hotel's web-site. On the day we arrived, we called the hotel in advance to see if we could arrive a little early; and it was no problem. From the moment I parked the rental car in front of the hotel, there was someone to greet us and valet park the car. Another person, the Butler, also greeted us, took our bags, described the property, and showed us to our room. What a place! The hotel is a fabulous restored mansion dating back to the 19th century (just exquisite) and each of the guests rooms is unique. After settling into our room (the most basic), we went down to the parlor area for complimentary cocktails (very nice!), rested a little, and then received complimentary transportation to our selected restaurant, Hutch's (excellent!). We rode in a Land Rover, and our driver, Marty, was terrific. He even asked us if there was anything special we wanted to see in the area. He'd be glad to take us there. After dinner, he returned to Hutch's and took us back to the hotel. Although our room was a little small, it was very cozy. The television was great, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was grand (especially the shower). I think the next time I visit the Mansion, I'll try one of the more deluxe rooms to compare. The next morning we enjoyed the fine European continental breakfast and headed off on our way. Awesome place!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dk2bflo
Reviewed 2 June 2008

We just returned from a 3-night stay at The Mansion and I must write this review. The 1st thing that comes to mind is "Oh My God". The visit was just outstanding. The "Butlers" who anticipate and supply anything you might think you want to see or do are unbelievably excellent. I hesitated to stay at "The Mansion" because the reviews sounded like a bed & breakfast and I love a hotel. Boy it scares me to think I could have missed this opportunity! The Butlers don't wear uniforms...they blend in with the guest and everyone is one big happy family. The amenities are classy yet warm. If you are staying in the Buffalo area (or just passing through) give yourself a treat and stay atleast 1 night. Am certain your, like my husband and I, will be back for more.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank mariettaalston
Reviewed 19 May 2008

One enters a sophisticated atmosphere, where modernity is subtly combined with the tradition present in the talent of the artisans who built the mansion as well as the craftsmen and designers who restored the building to its stately splendor. The plastered cornices and especially the exquisite woodwork all bear witness to their art.

Our suite was the epitome of luxury! It was extremely spacious, with two fireplaces and an added powder room off the main sitting room; Much more than we imagined when we booked our reservation. The Mansion offers all of the extras.

The personalized service offered by a gracious, attentive and smiling butler team is exceptional and contributes greatly enriching this sublime experience. Special thanks to Kent. We will be back (with more Italian cuisine and dessert).

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoeysGirlToronto
Reviewed 23 April 2008

I had really looked forward to my stay at the Mansion on Delaware Avenue after reading all of the terrific reviews. First the positives: the butlers are very nice, the lobby is very tastefully decorated near the front door and the location is nice. They provide you with stationary that states the hotel name, your name, and "in residence." They have DSL for internet access as well.

The negatives. I start with my biggest problem: they put me in a room where the air condition was not working. Normally not a problem in Buffalo in April, but it has been in the 80s! My butler said as we walked into the room, "boy it's really hot in here." I thought that maybe someone had just turned off the AC but got suspicious after sweating it out for about 45 minutes while the temperature remained 81 degrees inside. When I left the room to go to dinner I mentioned that I though the air conditioner wasn't working to the front desk staff. When I returned 4 hours later the room was even warmer (82 degrees). I tried opening the window and my door but when it didn't get any better I inquired again and was told by the manager that they had no other rooms to give me, but they would get an air conditioner up to my room. They did as they siad and it sounded like a truck engine. It did work: I awoke after a couple of hours and the room was freezing. The rest of the night I could either hear the condenser kicking in or the noise from outside as they had to keep the window cracked to run the unit. As such I got about 5 total hours of interrupted sleep - not ideal for my meeting the next day. The bathroom itself smelled like someone had smoked in it - and I one point I could actually smell smoke coming through the vent and into the bathroom.

The bed made springy noises when I turned. The room was tastefully decorated but in general dusty with a stain on the ceiling. The chair had a stin in the middle of the cushion. I turned it over and found an even larger stain on the other side. The Spa shower was nice. They had no iron or ironing board in the room - not ideal (I guess its BYOO). I did not have time to eat breakfast before leaving but it looked nice. I was ready to complain again on checkout but the front desk staff never asked me how I enjoyed my stay.

In general this looks like a nice hotel that is in serious need of some upkeep and renovations. I was placed on the 3rd floor - please note the elevator goes to 1,2, and 4. So you have to ride up and go done a flight of stairs. Fine but I decide to use the stairs at the end of the hall. Of note this stairwell is pretty dingy for an area that is frequented. Also you need to walk through their version of a banquet hall to get to the stairs. In general it was unkempt as well - not a particularly pleasing site. My total bill was $210 - which would have been OK if the stay had been as promised, but for that type of money I would recommend looking for a chain that comes through consistently. I would definitely never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
9  Thank The_Kman
Reviewed 15 April 2008

My husband and I chose the Mansion on Delaware after reading Trip Advisor reviews. It is everything the reviews claim, beautiful & welcoming with an outstanding staff.

1  Thank tri49
Reviewed 9 March 2008

We've stayed here three times over the past couple of years. I don't neet to reiterate the many positive reviews others have posted, except to say they are all true. The hotel is wonderful. I especially like the architecture, the spacious bathrooms, and the buffet breakfast - beautifully presented and "different" (i.e. green salad with tomatoes and olives).

Ii will only mention a few very small negatives, which may seem petty, but as this is a four-diamond AA, Zagat rated hotel, should be addressed at a property of this level:

- it's time for them to ditch the current (small) tvs and upgrade to flat-screen plasmas in the bedrooms;

- the thermal carafes used at breakfast don't work, the coffee is merely warm, even the freshly brewed just out from the kitchen was not hot enough;

- there was no milk available at the lovely tea station permanently set out, and again, the hot water was just barely warm

- I would like to see a computer for guests' use set up somewhere in the hotel.

Overall, a really great hotel and everyone would enjoy a stay here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple