“Luxury”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
New York
“Luxury”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have stayed here a few times and it never disappoints. The staff is attentive, the rooms are nicely appointed, and the location is great. Would definitely recommend to any couple looking for a romantic boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The trip was not to be a fun-filled one, no, it was for the New York Bar Exams which is held twice a year at 3 venues in the state of New York. Buffalo is or at least feels like the furthest and (in my opinion) the least hospitable of the venues, but here we are. So, I was really hoping for a hotel that could provide all the comfort and amenities during what should be (at least) 2 extremely difficult days. I had booked for 4 days so that I could check in early, calm those nerves, and leave a day later so I will not be caught in the rush.

Comfort: The bed is small. I am 5 ft 3 and it feels small to me but it is comfortable with plenty of pillows and cushions. In its restoration efforts, the hotel has retained much of its unique features: original fireplaces, Empire-style building, creaky elevators, and uneven stone steps.

The bathroom was large but surprisingly plain. It looked like the common shower room of a YMCA hostel. The floor tiles need replacing, definitely, even though they are not the original tiles. I think I expected a bathroom that is more evocative of 1890s America. This is a historical hotel, no?

Service: the butlers - in reality, very young men not quite out of school - were a nice touch, but be warned that they charge $7 per butler run if you need your dinner picked up from one of the many restaurants they recommend.

Noise: I had a room facing Delaware Ave which meant noise from the morning and night traffic . The floor shakes whenever a heavy vehicle traverses, which is pretty much every half an hour.

All in all, I will not be coming back. Possibly because I do not think it worth the money I paid. It is not bad, but really not fantastic.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank PLong123
Halesworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I am writing this on our second and final night stay before moving on with our trip, just wish we were staying longer. This hotel has the best staff I have ever encountered, they are courteous, informative and cannot do enough for you. The rooms are very good with free wi-fi and a complimentary breakfast. I would recommend that anyone who books here will have an amazing time in a classic and unique building. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and its staff, if staying in Buffalo, this is the place I would want to stay if I came again.

2 Thank julian3524
London, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I travelled to Buffalo for an anniversary get away. We visited the art gallery in Buffalo and were greatly impressed and then retired to MODA for some spiffing up before dinner. We had a delicious cheese and fruit tray with some wine from the honour bar and then rested before dinner out. We walked to our restaurant but a butler retrieved us with the Range Rover (which is a great service!!). Upon our return we had some champagne and chocolate covered strawberries which were all delicious and pretty decadent. It was a great anniversary - thanks again MODA. We will definitely come back.

1 Thank catpat66
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A delayed holiday gift provided a wonderful July "staycation" for us as we had purchased a Sunday Pamper Package last December that included a great room at MODA and a $100 dining experience at one of Buffalo's finest restaurants. And better yet - two complimentary cocktails from 5 - 7 p.m. that we chose to enjoy the beautiful Buffalo summer weather in the courtyard patio - as well as transportation to and from dinner in the Mansion's ultra cool Range Rover made our experience quite remember-able!! A small upgrade requested for a larger room was well worth it as we received an additional complimentary upgrade to one of the front-facing rooms along Delaware Avenue. The room, the service (Josh especially), the European breakfast, the ambiance and the pampering were just what we were hoping for, as well as an always fabulous dining experience at Hutch's Restaurant - in the warm weather make sure you request a table on the front porch. MODA never gets old and is worth every penny.

Room Tip: The small rooms that are located in the back of the MODA do not allow for the FULL experience. Spen...
Amherst, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It is always a great experience at MODA. The butlers will accommodate your requests whenever possible, food is delicious, and it's simply a gorgeous building. My husband and I stayed there for our wedding night and at least 2 other occasions including an anniversary and a birthday. We go for their Summer Cocktails on Lawn series and enjoy live entertainment, amazing food and beverages and, of course, the wonderful ambiance. I look forward to my next stay there, and we only live about 20 min. away. This is by far the best hotel in Buffalo and anywhere near here!

Room Tip: Let the staff know what type of room you'd like when you make your reservation. If you'd lik...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the mansion on Delaware. We found the staff tremendously genuine and interested in helping guide us through the city. We were ecstatic about the accommodations - the high quality linens, toiletries and entertainment options. This hotel is truly perfection but where it really shines is in the staff's desire to ensure you have the best experience possible. We look forward to our next stay at the mansion when we return to buffalo and am thankful for such a memorable experience!!

1 Thank Kristen L