“I want to go back to Buffalo!”

The Mansion on Delaware Avenue
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Los Angeles, CA
“I want to go back to Buffalo!”
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I used to stay at this lovely hotel when visiting clients in Buffalo. When the opportunity arose to return to Buffalo, I jumped at it because I knew that it would mean the opportunity to stay at the Mansion. I travel a lot for business and this hotel is truly one of my favorites. They've redone the parlors (that in other hotels would be called lobbies) with a modern sensibility but kept all the charm and grandeur of the original architecture.
From the moment that arrive, I feel myself relax because I know I will be so well cared for.

The staff is phenomenal -- and loyal. After a 2 year absence, many of them were still there. I was thrilled to find that Marty, the butler who first encouraged me to try a red zinfandel instead of my usual cabernet, was there to make me feel as if I were being welcomed back home after a long journey away.

After a long day of work, it is unbelievable to come back to a hotel where the butlers will suggest a wine during the complimentary happy hour, recommend a local restaurant and then drive you to dinner, and provide turn down service complete with a sweet treat waiting in your room for your return. Then all I have to do is take a luxurious bath in the jacuzzi tub and slip into decadently comfortable bed.

A project in Buffalo??? Sure! I'll take it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank uspjohnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
kristinawhite10
Reviewed 12 November 2009

I have stayed at the Mansion on Delaware several times when travelling to Buffalo for work purposes. The hotel is small but the rooms are all very classy and modern and most have their own fireplace. The staff at The Mansion are very polite and more of personal concierges. They escort you to your room and carry your luggage for you. The rooms are lit with jazz music playing when you arrive and they all have amazing jacuzzi bathtubs. The only thing that I don't like about this hotel is that there don't seem to be very many nearby restaurants however, the staff have a list of menus for nearby restaurants and they will order food in for you. They do have a complimentary happy hour and breakfast spread each day and the selection of food/drinks is very good. I would definitely recommed The Mansion to anyone visiting Buffalo. It is a little pricier than the other hotels but the elegance and the staff make up for the cost. It is WELL worth it!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Superb service started at the door in this lovely historical property where we were treated to extraordinary hospitality and complimentary cocktails from 5-7pm. The house car and driver brought us to a restaurant/bar nearby for Buffalo's finest chicken wings and the World Series... we arrived back to chocolate-dipped strawberries with turn-down and a European-style continental breakfast is served in the bright drawing room... absolutely wonderful. We asked American Express for their finest hotel in Buffalo, and the Mansion did not disappoint.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Groningen
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Very friendly staff, who are extremely knowledgeable (they should be instated as ambassadors of the town of Buffalo) and helpful.
Beautiful estate, wonderfully layed out and refurbished rooms, modernised with respect and feel for the obviously rich history of the premises.
We arrived late, without a reservation and were treated as long expected and respected friends.
Nothing but the highest praise for the staff!
We have travelled quite a bit and were never quite spoiled and pampered like this (and that includes being driven to whatever eatery you fancy, be it Fat Bob's or somewhere slightly (!) more upmarket).
Arguably the best ever chocolate chip cookies on our pillow, free cocktails at the apropriate hour, heavenly beds, the best breakfast in the State (best breakfast in the StateS in fact, sharing a first place with the Carpe Diem guesthouse in Provincetown)
As Europeans (Dutch, so notoriously tight-fisted) travelling the state of New York, this is by far the best hotel we encountered in the state. Worth every cent of our euro!
We didn't want to leave. Alas, we had to.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GroningenMargaretha
Boston, MA
Reviewed 22 September 2009

After hearing so many raves about the Mansion, including many former brides who spent their wedding night at the Mansion, I decided it was a must stay for our wedding night. We got in late (as expected after an all night wedding reception) and were greeted indifferently and shown to our room. The room was nice, but nothing spectacular. The best part was the updated bathroom. Didn't get any special treatment even though I mentioned it was our wedding night. I think we would have seen more value for our money at another hotel downtown that I normally prefer, but I am glad we stayed to experience a night at the Mansion.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Amherst, NY
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I travel often for business, so when we were making plans for this past holiday weekend my husband and I knew we wanted to stay close to home but still treat ourselves to a getaway -The Mansion was the perfect choice! My husband's company often books their clients and associates into the mansion so we had heard nothing but positive comments about the hotel, but you don't really get the feel, the vibe, until you actually stay.
The 'butlers' greeted us when we drove up to the building - they took our bags and our keys and from that point on they took complete care of us. We walked through the door and they immediately offered us a glass of wine - before we had even checked in! As we enjoyed our wine and perrier, the butler gave us a quick tour of the mansion and then escorted us to our room. The building itself is historic, with the original architecture beautifully preserved. The interior decor, however, is extremely modern - but so comfortable. You feel as if you have travelled to a cosmopolitan European destination.
When we had reserved our room the butlers had made dinner reservations for us at Tempo restaurant and they checked with us to see if they would still be driving us to dinner that night - they did, and they picked us up after dinner as well. Again, really cool driving up in their land rover with the 'butlers' escorting us into the restaurant!
Breakfast the next morning was complimentary and amazing. A blend of standard breakfast items that you hope for combined with unexpected fresh, delicious items that look more like brunch than breakfast. The free valet parking, drinks, ride to/from dinner and breakfast were excellent perks. Really an amazing getaway.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rpdl1402
Carmel, NY
Reviewed 28 April 2009

We stayed at The Mansion for a Friday evening on the way to Canada to pick up a new puppy.
The Pros:
- We checked in well after the 5-7PM complimentary evening reception was over (we just had to have those awesome wings at the Anchor Bar!). We were promptly taken up to our room and were advised we could have one complimentary drink anyway. The spread was pretty impressive, with quite a selection of wines and mixed drinks. Prices were reasonable even after the happy hour.
- The room was lovely, with a cathedral ceiling, sitting area, large bay window, whirlpool tub with multi jetted shower, and a DVD player. We found the room lit with tea lights and two fresh baked cookies by our side (and they were delicious!)
- The staff was very friendly and eager to please. Don't expect "butlers", instead expect a well trained, upbeat, genuine youthful staff that will do whatever they can to please you. Valet parking is complimentary, and they will not take no for an answer when it comes to luggage handling. I did tip, but note there is a "service fee" added on your bill so I don't know if this is required or not.

The Cons:
-Only a queen sized bed. When you can get a kind sized at the Motel 6, this should be de rigeur for any luxury class hotel.
- Soundproofing is not good, with street noise and noise from other guests coming through. It is an old building, so perhaps this is to be expected.
- The complimentary breakfast was not to our tastes. it is certainly European style, but I'm sure some basic cereals, bagels and a toaster would not be too much to ask. A cooked breakfast is available for an extra fee. ($11/person for eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast)
- Water pressure was so-so at best, which detracted from the multi jet shower.
-AAA discounts are offered only Sunday-Thursday. This is the first AAA rated location I have stayed in that has this policy, and for a 4 diamond hotel it seems misguided. We were not staying during a holiday or local event weekend.

This are all minor issues to be sure, but they detracted from the overall experience. At 265/night in a city which is not exactly a resort location, we expected a bit more.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple