“Former Bellman” 2 of 5 bubbles

Lenox Hotel and Suites
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
“Former Bellman”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2003

I worked at the Hotel Lenox, 140 North Street, Buffalo, N.Y. from 1980 to '85..I was a Bellman there. I not only carried people's luggage, I also operated the News Stand, did room service, answered the switchboard, &, after Housekeeping hours, I delivered various linens to people's rooms. Back in those days, the Lenox had problems with many of their TV's, which, on many occasions, I had to go into empty rooms to find TV's that properly worked, & take them where needed....I also had many experiences on the Hotels Elevators. Countless times I got stuck in them, between floors, the doors would open & I'd stare at the brick wall...Back in them days, the Lenox was occupied with mostly permanent residents, as well as their Transient Business...They also had a beautiful "Lenox Dining Room" in the Basement of the Hotel, along with Banquet Facilities....Even though I was only working there for 5 years, I have many memories of the place still...At the time, the Manager was Mrs. Nancy Bajer, a fine lovely Woman. The Hotel was then owned by Mr Robert Freudenheim, but, over the years since I left, he turned ownership over to Mrs Bajer. Nancy was a wonderful woman to work for & with...I have, as I said, many fond memories of the Lenox, & have had countless dreams of being there again..Though I've moved on with my life since those days, I'll never forget that place..Even the Manager before Mrs Bajer, Mr George J Mooney..I'll never forget him as well...God Bless anyone who stays at The Lenox..Sincerely, Ed Dennis (Former Bellman)

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2002

Whoever wrote the positive review for this place MUST either work there, or be used to staying in a hostile. This place was a class-A toilet bowl. Funny, they didn't include "roaches" in the list of ammenities. Also, there were lots of stains and stinks to go around. Next time you're in Buffalo, PASS on the Hotel Lenox.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2002

I had reservations at the Lenox Hotel in July. This property was horrible. It is an old hotel, which I don't have a problem with, but the hotel was not kept up well at all. The air conditioner was broken, the television could not have possibly been cable ready, since it looked like a pre-1970 model. The bathrooms had mold and mildew. The furniture was old and dusty. Some of the rooms did not even have locks on the doors!! I looked at this property on the internet and the rooms did not resemble the photographs on the internet. I was so disgusted with the property that I did not stay there. I returned my key to the desk and went to another hotel.
This hotel may have a rich heritage of over 100 years, but it looks like it hasn't been renovated in that length of time!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2002

We made a reservation at this hotel in July 2002. I didn't wind up staying there with my family because it was dirty, it smelled awful, the kitchen was disgusting - your feet stuck to the floor. The carpet was all stained, there was one small air conditioner in the bedroom which hardly worked. The television got about 5 stations even though it was hooked up to cable. The room was so not worth the price. If you look at the pictures on the hotels website it looks decent. But once you get there it's not. I was aware the building was old but thought I'd at least have a clean, comfortable room for $120 a night. I strongly do not recommend this hotel to anyone, especially anyone with young children. I would not have even let my son walk around with no shoes on there.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2002

My girlfriend was in town for a couple days so we booked a suite at the Lenox. It's a great place: clean, big rooms, lots of character, and in a beautiful neighborhood. However, it's got a different feel from the major chains (Hyatt etc.) so if you're set on that type of experience it wouldn't be for you. I recommend it highly, though.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member