“Only a place to sleep”

Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Loudonville, Ohio
“Only a place to sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

If you are only looking for a place to sleep and then be on your way this is a good value. Otherwise, do not stay here. No coffee pot, shampoo, hair dryer. Bed top mattress was half thickness of a normal bed and stained. Room was clean but hallways smelled of smoke and it was kind of strange having regular tennants mixed in. Location looked good but we were warned to not walk anywhere after dark so had the extra expense of cab rides everywhere (Allentown, etc.).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Plano, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Lenox is a tired old hotel with only the barest amenities. The room was clean but there was no complimentary shampoo, no iron or ironing board, no coffee pot. The hallway was smelly and the carptet was dirty. The ancient elevator had a hole in the floor not completed hidden by the rug.
The radiator heat is centrally controlled. It got fairly chilly before it kicked on and around midnight I was opening a window to cool the room off.
I travel a lot for business. There are many better choices in the Buffalo area.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Buffalo hotels

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This hotel is in a great location in the trendy Allentown neighborhood, and within walking distance to downtown and other city hot spots. I was a little worried when I read some of the negative reviews on this site, but I thought to myself, "It can't be that bad." I was right. This is a very clean, well-maintained hotel, which represents one of the better hotel values in downtown Buffalo. The room is no-frills, which means don't expect any fancy furnishings or a full-service hotel. What you get is a clean and comfortable room, in a great location, with a fabulous view of the skyline and lake, and within walking distance to everything. The staff who work at the hotel are friendly and helpful. And to the reviewer who mentioned the elevator, it felt totally safe and secure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank beyondtheforest
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

My family and I stayed here while visiting relatives over the winter. I didn't know what to expect, given the mixed reviews I've read about the Lenox- but I must admit it was love at first sight.
The lobby sets the tone for the place- it really feels like some grand old apartment building from a bygone era. Our suite was awesome for the price- super clean, and really unique to other cheap rooms we've stayed in. We were at the far end of a wing, so there were little to no noises to bother us from adjacent rooms. I'd suggest to anyone who wants a more private, quiet spot to try to get a room in that location to avoid any disturbances.
The location was also fantastic. We were close to grocery stores, coffee shops, and great restaurants.
My family and I will definitely be staying at the Lenox again- we actually look forward to it!

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the "wings" seem to be quieter than those that are alongside other roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jajie_bo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I recently stayed at the Lenox and had a great experience - the hotel lobby was clean and well-appointed, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was immaculate with plenty of hot water. The windows open for fresh air at night, and I had a view of downtown Buffalo. I will stay at the Lenox again when I come back to Buffalo. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the location is fantastic - short walks to the restaurants and nightlife of Allentown and the historic neighborhoods along Delaware Avenue, Allentown and Elmwood Village. If you want a Buffalo hotel with charm, character, and a great location, then the Lenox is for you.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve S
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

I had been staying at the Lenox for years until about 3 years ago when I was given a room so bad that even my nostalgia for the place could not overcome it. HOWEVER this past year I decided to give it another shot and was very pleasantly surprised. The Welfare tenants all seem to be gone and the room I was given was quite serviceable. The Lenox is in a fantastic location, one of Buffalo's most architecturally interesting neighborhoods and it is again good value for the money. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. I especially liked Suzy, the daytime front desk manager.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TonyZBrown
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

If you scroll through the list of reviews of the Lennox, you'll note there are many bad ones. The good, or not-so-bad ones, all say the same thing: Good location, bare-bones average to poor in everything else.

Truer words were never written.

Some buddies and I went to the National Buffalo Wing Festival over Labor Day Weekend. We wanted to be at the fest during the day, but close to Allentown's bar scene at night. The Lennox looked like the best fit: Free parking, located a few blocks from Allentown, and close to free public transportation to take us to and from the fest. Great!

Well, here's the thing (or things): It's true: Your room key is an old fashioned key, not a keycard or FOB device. So that's weird. It's true: The staff is pretty under-attentive in that they do not anticipate your needs (but when we asked for something, we got it). It's true: The rooms are very small (but we didn't smell mildew or anything else, and overall the room was clean). Our mini-fridge/microwave unit worked fine.

Since we planned to be outside the room for most of the 36 hours we were in town, all of these things were okay. We joked about them, sure, but the Lennox suited its purpose for this trip.

But, the Lennox wouldn't due if:
-You wish to use your room for more than anything than a nap space, a storage locker and a restroom.
-Wish to spend long periods of time awake in the room.
-Want any amenities commonly associated with a hotel
-Want to earn loyalty program points with a hotel chain
-Have a family with you (just not enough space/amenities for children)

So, all of the negative reviews here are correct. But so are all of the positive ones.

Would I stay at the Lennox again? Not likely. There's a chain hotel near it that offers the location benefits plus everything on the above list. But if you had to stay at the Lennox for a short trip, it's really not the end of the world.

Room Tip: Bare-bones, best for short stays
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends