“Excellent Stay in Downtown Buffalo”

Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
San Diego, CA
“Excellent Stay in Downtown Buffalo”
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Last month we stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites in downtown Buffalo. I chose the Hampton Inn mainly based on the ratings and reviews from Trip Advisor. In addition, the location, value and great amenities were what 'sold us'. We reserved a king bed but upon check-in with the friendly staff at the front desk, we were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a suite. The Hampton Inn was our first stop of several along New York, Vermont and Maine -- and spoiled us right off the bat! The suite was super roomy, comfortable and clean with appealing, modern decor. The free breakfast was very nice with something for everyone and thoughtful details to go a step above. They also have laundry service, indoor pool, and whirlpool. It was a beautiful hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
erie,pa
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I made my reservations based on the Trip Advisor ratings. This Hampton Inn is right in the middle of the theater district at Chippewa and Delaware Avenue. I reserved the King Suite and it was worth every penny and then some. The service at the desk was great. I needed wine glasses and ordered in from the Thai restaurant, one of four restaurants connected to the Hotel. Martinis at the Chocolate Bar was heaven for this chocoholic. Conner on the front desk insured that the glasses and dinner arrived on time. Only complaint was that the breakfast was typical of a Hampton Inn. The accommodations and amenities at this Hampton Inn were way above what you would expect at a Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Corner suite was perfect
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank starblue
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Thank you for such high marks on our service that we have provided for you. I am glad that Konrad was able to assist in you in making sure that everything was timely. Thank you for your comments on breakfast. Do you have any suggestions that we could do to improve on that? Thank you again for your time.
eatontown
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Hampton Inn while in Buffalo for a Bills game. I chose the Hampton because of predominantly favorable reviews along the the price value proposition. The parking is free along with a more than reasonable breakfast. The staff was very friendly during the quick check-in process and helpful with recommendations and directions. The location was convenient to a number of clubs and restaurants so we managed to have a very entertaining evening. We did not use the pool or fitness center since we were too busy having fun, but perhaps next time for I would definitely stay at the Hampton again if visiting Buffalo.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mika54
I am glad to here that we were a great value. I hope that the Bills continue to do well! Then you can come back for a playoff game. It means a great deal to us that you took the time to review us. We value you as a customer and hope to see you again.
Lewiston, New York
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Stayed at the Hampton last Friday night for a getaway with my wife. The hotel is very clean and modern. The first problem we had was parking. Apparently there were three weddings going on and the lot and street next door (which is for hotel parking) were full. A check with hotel staff quickly took care of that and we got our car parked in the lot. The room was clean and comfortable and there are three restaurants on the property including a Subway, A chocolate martini bar and an Asian one called Papya. We ate there and the food and service were top notch. Prices were very reasonable also. Everything went well till we returned to our room and there was a party of 20ish year olds next door. The hotel sits next to Chippewa St which is a major party area in Buffalo. They were loud and yelling and it sounded as if they were in our room. We were also right by the elevators and we could clearly hear in our room the conversations of everyone waiting for the elevators. We rode out the neighbors noise by turning up the tv and they all left around 11pm. All was good until 4:30 am when the returned and were louder than earlier. we delt with it for about a half an hour then called the front desk to complain (a first for us.. we are usually the ones getting complained about hehe). within a minute security was knocking on their door and the party was broken up. Great job by hotel staff ! Breakfast was good, a bit standard with eggs, sausage etc but the coffee ran out. The one gentleman who was working double time to keep everything full and doing the best he could was directing people to the lobby for coffee.
All in all a very nice hotel and the staff was pleasant and attentive. However due only to the paper thin walls and the noise, we probably wont stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John W
We truly appreciate you taking a moment to share your experiences with us. I apologize for the not so pleasant experiences with the noise and parking. It can be a challenge at times being located in the “Heart of the entertainment district”, and I appreciate you letting us know we were able to fix them when we were notified about them. I hope that you try and “Getaway” with us again. Thank you for your business.
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I took a while to write this review because I didn't want to be unfair to the hotel.
I contact them first (and I was actually still waiting for a response), but nothing was done.
I went to Buffalo with my parents and a friend. I made the reservation trough Booking.com and it was all in my name. At the hotel, my friend insisted on paying for her room and gave the front desk her card. Aparently for nothing. All the rooms were billed to my credit card anyways.
Back home, I contacted the hotel asking if something could be done, since I didn't want to charge my friend for that (although it wasn't in my plans to pay for the room either). The manager answered me saying they hadn't done anything wrong. When I explained they actually did something wrong, he wrote there were THREE (just like that - like he was shouting at me) rooms, two were billed to me and one to my friend. I repeated I was charged for my friend's room, but the manager insisted that he was right. Nevertheless, when he realized his mistake, he simply said he was "under the impression" that my card was my friend's card and asked me if I had her card's number (which of course I don't, but they should, since she handed them the card at the check in). I said didn't and he never wrote me back, not even to apologize for the situation.
I have never been treated like that by a Manager. If there was nothing that could be done, they could have said so and apologized for the inconvenient, since they put me in a very unconfortable situation.
I have to say the hotel in nice, but if you do decide to stay there, I hope everything goes well. If something happens, don't expect they'll do much about it.
I've just read the bad reviews and saw two other guests had problems in October (the same month I stayed there), so I can assure it wasn't just me.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank dannlaly
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience about our hotel. My sincere apologies for the way in which your concern was handled by me after you had left our hotel. As I stated in a separate e-mail directly to you, I have refunded your stay back to you and I hope that despite the situation you give us another opportunity if you are in Buffalo again.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was sceptical about staying here and it turned out to be a real find. The room was terrific with great linens, a comfortable bed, good towels and a very nice breakfast room. Ths is a terrific place to stay on business or pleasure in downtown Buffalo!

Room Tip: I stayed in suite 401 and it was spacious and great.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing your experience here on Trip Advisor. I am glad to here that we overcame your skepticism on staying with us. We hope to see you again when your travels brings you this way again.
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Once a year I come to Buffalo for a Bills game and this is the hotel I prefer to stay at everytime. I just returned from my visit and felt the need to explain why I choose this hotel. Check-in is effortless, rooms are clean and tastefully decorated, parking is free to guests, and the workout facility is great. This place is usually booked solid. I always feel safe because a room card is needed in the elevator to get to your room. You will get a phone call to your room to make sure that your needs have been met and a paper is left outside your door each morning. The breakfast has everything from eggs and bacon, pastries and waffles, fruit and yogurt, to cereal and egg whites. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Not to mention there are great restaurants within walking distance such as Buffalo Chop House and Bacchus, just to name a few. My only complaint is that that the pillows are too small and are about the size of a half pillow. Expect to be satisfied when staying at this Hampton.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to express your kind words about the experiences throughout our hotel. I am glad that you choose to stay with us each time you come in to town. We are taking care of the pillow concern that you have. There should be nothing the size of a half pillow in our rooms. Each room comes with a mix of both feather and foam and should be up to standard. Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us and your time in posting this review.