“Filed under 'Things that make you go Hmmmm ...'”

Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Chicagoland, Illinois
“Filed under 'Things that make you go Hmmmm ...'”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I don’t make it a habit to review Hamptons because what you see is what you get – as good a quality room for your buck as you’re going to get these days. And the downtown Buffalo property was no exception. The exterior of the hotel was impressive-looking and in a great location. We were here for a Sabres game and the arena is only minutes away. Our room was fine and the boys loved the pool (tho watch out for the slick tiles!). The staff was friendly. Nothing to complain about.

But we had something to file under the category, "Things That Make You Go Hmmmm."

Prior to check-in I pulled up the van to the carport area in front of the hotel entrance, and I swear I wasn’t standing outside the vehicle for more than 5 seconds when a guy RUNS over from across the street and starts begging for money. It’s 10 degrees out with flurries and a nasty wind, and I’m getting hassled pretty good. When I make it clear he’s got the wrong guy, he’s ticked off and glaring at me, but he eventually walks away.

Fine. Didn't expect that to be my Welcome to Buffalo moment, but that’s certainly not the first or last time I’ve been pan-handled.

But after check-in I noticed the hotel’s security protocol is as tight as I’ve ever seen at a chain hotel, and especially at a Hampton. You need to roll down your car window and swipe your room card in order to enter the hotel’s parking lot. Inside the hotel, you also need to swipe your card while in the elevator before the car will take you up to any floor from the lobby level.

Don’t get me wrong: Those are great security features. I wish everybody did this. But they don't. And 5 seconds in and I’m getting full-court pressed by a bum at a hotel that is locked down like Fort Knox? Let’s just say I played it a little more heads-up than usual during my stay here.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MinivanMagic
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to apologize about the immediate approach of someone obviously unwanted when you first arrived. We take every measure possible to make sure that our guests are safe and comfortable at our hotel. That includes elevator and parking access to our hotel guests only via the guest room key. We truly appreciate you choosing us for your hotel accommodations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Korean first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was attending a trade show at the Adam's Mark hotel, just a 1/2 mile away and after seeing that location I made the call NOT to stay there and booked a room at the Hampton Inn. Not sure how long this location has been open but it seemed brand new. Parking was very good with ample parking right near the entrance. No dark parking garage. Front lobby was very nice and the front desk staff were nicely dressed and very pleasant. Elevators and hallways were very clean and well kept. Hallways were wide and well lit.

My room was very nice. Plenty of space, good lighting, a big bathroom and a wonderful bed. The large flat panel TV, well lit room and large working desk and comfortable chair was appreciated.

I'm on the road over 130 days per year so I spend way too much time in hotels all over the globe. If only all the hotels I stay at were this nice, the travel would be so much less taxing.

I HIGHLY recommend this Hampton Inn and will stay here any time in in the area for meetings.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DrFish71
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Thank you for making the decision to stay with us. You are a well versed seasoned traveler and it is an amazing compliment to our team that you speak so highly of our hotel. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you soon on your travels back to the area.
Orono, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We visited this hotel for the 5th time to catch a hockey game. The rooms are quiet and comfortable and the location is within an easy walk of the free downtown tram to the arena. The price is good and the breakfast fare has improved. Service throughout has been fast and friendly. Wireless internet works pretty seamlessly and is free.

Room Tip: Personally I avoid rooms near and elevator and on lower floors although street noise has never been...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank OronoStewie
Thank you very much for continuing to support our hotel and our Buffalo Sabres. We are proud that we are able to provide you with the service and amenities that you have come to enjoy. We truly appreciate your business and comments. Thank you. See you soon for your next game.
Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Awesome experience in this hotel. Clean and fairly priced.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katie S
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
To say your experience was awsome is a true compliment! Thank you for choosing to stay with us and review your experience on Trip Advisor.
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2011

My family and I recently had the pleasure of staying in your hotel during the Christmas break. The room was very clean and quite attractive. The staff and management were very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay in your hotel again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CMendonca_11
I am truly thankful for your visit to our hotel. Your comments on our clean hotel with friendly staff mean a great deal to us. We hope that when your travels bring you down here again, you choose to stay with us. Thank you.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 28 December 2011

A very comfortable and well-managed hotel in downtown Buffalo. The rooms are spacious and attractive.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MTN70
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and rate us a 4 based on your experience. You comments are greatly appreciated.
Albany, New York
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This is a gem in downtown Buffalo. The rooms are standard but the hotel is grand. The second floor is 50% breakfast nook and also is subdivided into private areas for work/conversations. The library on the first floor is stacked with current books for pleasure reading. Of course, the staff are all excellent.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert M
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
I am glad that we were able to pleasantly surprise you! To be considered a gem is a true compliment. I hope that you visit us once again on your trip back.