“Hope you like the smell of Subway food.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
london
“Hope you like the smell of Subway food.”
Reviewed 22 January 2010

When I arrived, I was given a very nice looking room, although there was a smell that was familiar to me, but I couldn't work out what it was. I just assumed that the occupants before me had had food in the room, and the cleaners hadn't sprayed any air freshener around, so I never complained. After a long day out in Buffalo, I got back to the room and the smell was intense, but as it was late, I just went to bed. I woke up in the morning, and the smell was so bad, I felt sick. I phoned down to reception to ask if they could change my room (it was midweek, and the place was empty). The person I spoke to was a little abrupt, and said I she would see what she could do (with a sigh).

4 hours later, and still no news, so I called down again to ask if anything had been sorted for me, and got the same abrupt tone. I finally got moved 2 hours later...NEXT DOOR!!!

The new room didn't smell as bad, but still smelled. I gave up, as I was only there for 2 days anyway. On my way out that afternoon, I found out the reason for the smell. There is a Subway sandwich store, right under the room. So I'm guessing I wasn't the first to complain about this.

The staff (except one man who was polite) were very abrupt, and even when asking them to call a cab, or directions etc... looked like I had annoyingly disturbed them. One receptionist (the one I had asked for the room change) never even looked up when she was speaking to me. Made me feel like I was an inconvenience to her.

The hotel itself, is quite nice. The rooms are nice (without the smell). The location is great, but I'd be careful in the streets around it after dark. I would recommend this place, but make sure you're not given the room above Subway! 107 or 8 (I think).

TIP to the hotel: People like me will put up with all sorts of crap IF the service is good and friendly!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank adam1966
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 4 February 2010
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. Since your stay with us back in May 2008 the hotel has gone through some very exciting changes. We have renovated every guest room and addressed the smell issues as well. We have also addressed the level of customer service that you experienced during your stay. We have done all that is possible to reinforce our staff with the necessary tools to go above and beyond for every guest. Customer service is our first priority and we take it very seriously. If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to contact us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Arnhem
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Being a light sleeper I asked for a quiet room, and I got one. It was a renovated one which was really value for money!! The room was very quiet indeed. OK, not a particularly nice view but for me a good night's sleep is more important. Some minor negative points:
- free shuttle is only to the airport, not to the Amtrak station
- plastic plates and plastic tableware at breakfast; breakfast itself, however, was very good
- taxi driver from hotel to station was driving with one hand almost all the ride having his mobile in his other hand; since I had to catch the train, I didn't make any comments about this dangerous situation, (who knows he may have left me standing on the highway somewhere) but I would recommend that the hotel choose another company

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank PenkiArnhem
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 9 December 2009
Valued guest- thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We truly appreciate all of our guests comments and criticisms, as a measure of our strengths and weaknesses. We value all the comments as they give us areas that we need to focus our attention to. In regards to your comment pertaining to the plastic tableware and foam plates, Hampton is in the process of going green with all of the service wares. They are using a product called Taterware, they are made from a potato product and are biodegradable. Hampton is connecting with the green initiative that is part of our global responsibility. I will also bring your comment about the cab driver to the attention of the service we use and we will be looking around for a new provider of transportation.
newfoundland
Reviewed 17 November 2009

staff very friendly, helpfull with directions, will go out of their way to get you what you want,
hotel room clean , bathroom nice and roomy as well as clean.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 19 November 2009
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We strive everyday to create a warm welcoming place to stay. If there is anything we can do for you please let us know.
Buffalo
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Buffalo for one night in October. The hotel is just fabulous. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel offers some of the best amenities that I have seen! The rooms have been recently renovated, and look wonderful. They give off such a modern feel and as if the hotel is just brand new. The breakfast selection was great as well. I will definitely be returning to this property!

Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
HISManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 1 December 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We value each and every guests opinion and strive to exceed expectations everyday. When your travels bring you back to Buffalo we hope that you will choose to stay with us again.
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 October 2009

The Hampton Inn and Suites in Buffalo was a pleasant surprise; I suppose I don't expect such a nice, upscale hotel from Hampton Inn (but maybe I need to reassess my opinion.)

The hotel is extremely clean and comfortable. The bed was great; the free breakfast was more bountiful than expected; and our room surprised us by having a gas fireplace.

I'd definitely stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in downtown Buffalo again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 3 October 2009

What a big improvement!!
I've been staying at this hotel several weeks a month for almost three years and have had a couple of issues in the past.. However, between the new manager and the remodeled rooms it a whole new place. I think the management is the best change as it has radiated through the staff and all the services.

p.s. Thanks for the whirlpool tub!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel. We appreciate the wonderful comments and look forward to seeing you each time you come to Buffalo.
lpacheco18
Reviewed 30 September 2009

First I want to say that this is hands down the best Hampton Inn I have ever stayed at and I have travel for several years with an average of 45 weeks per year. With that said the Hampton is in the heart of downtown Buffalo. Within a mile from Elmwood avenue where there are an endless number of LOCAL restaurants. No chains.
The Hampton has recently started renovations of the hotel from top to bottom. I have had the opportunity to stay in one of their new rooms. From the contemporary color scheme to the layout of the rooms it shows that a lot of time was put into the design. The bathrooms are twice the size with plenty of room. They all have new desks that really cater to the business traveler. They have also made the work out facilities twice the size and have added all new machines with built in TV monitors. Big improvement as I like to work out while on the road.
And the most important reason as to why I would stay here is because of the staff. It shows that they invest a lot of time in training their associates in customer service. I feel at home when I travel to the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank lpacheco18
HISManager, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Buffalo Downtown, responded to this review, 6 October 2009
Thank you for the kind review. We find that great compliments are very reaffriming for the staff at the hotel. They really appreciate that guests recognize all the hard work and dedication that they put into their jobs each and every day. If there is anything else that we can do for you please let us know.