“Delightful”

Michigan Street Baptist Church
Ranked #103 of 163 things to do in Buffalo
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have been in Buffalo for over 40 years and have never took the opportunity to visit the Michigan Street Baptist Church or "Underground Railroad" until recently and I must admit, it was simply delightful. The Bishop served as a personal tour guide was a wealth of knowledge. There are also several items on display from that time period and we got to see the place were slaves were actually hidden. I would encourage anyone to go and visit this historic site.

4  Thank Davette719

Reviewed 18 April 2013

If you have the opportunity to take a tour here with the Bishop, you won't be disappointed. You will see the sanctuary, still used for service today, with pieces of the ceiling cut out that used to house the escaping slaves. You will also tour the basement in the church and see a hollowed out piece of stone where people sat and waited for authorities to leave.

The tour is heavy on oral history, but the few things there are still to see will impact you for sure. I've been to the church several times and still appreciated the visit each time.

There is a small, requested donation that, I was told, goes toward continual renovation of the church.

3  Thank jmasc1
Reviewed 7 July 2011

While on business in Buffalo, I searched for historic sites. I found the city hall (recommended) , Gray Cliff (Frank Lloyd Wright House, recommended), but my treasured memory was finding the Michigan Street Baptist Church. I arrived mid-day on a Tuesday, and the sign said they were open for visitors from about 10:00 am - 2:00 pm weekdays. As I opened the door, a young gentleman greeted me warmly. They were preparing for a convocation, but he generously offered "the tour." The church is charming, old, and in need of some repair. But the sanctuary was brightly painted, with beautiful new pews, and musical instruments ready for worship. The tour included seeing two Underground Railway hideouts, small and dank. Scary and real. This was a milestone on the Underground railroad because it is so close to the Canadian border. The basement was filled with memorabilia, tributes, historic maps and descriptions. I highly recommend dropping by, saying hello, and experiencing the history. Be sure to sign the guest book and give the suggested donation of $4.00 (at least). Oh, and across the street is the historic "Colored Musicians Club." No one was there when I visited, and it was badly in need of repair but I'll be back. Please drop by and support this historic church. I spent about 40 minutes here.

13  Thank mmyatt01757
Reviewed 18 April 2010

This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I did a driving tour of the Underground Railroad Freedom Trail. From the outside, the appearance is an old, red brick bulding with bright red doors. The windows have been busted out and are covered by plywood. A plaque on the outside reads it's the "second baptist church of Buffalo and first black church of any denomination in the city". The congregation was formed in 1836 by Rev. Dr. J. Edward Nash. The church was built in 1845 and it is the oldest structure in Western New York that was built for and has been continuously owned, operated, and occupied by African-Americans. The significance of this church is that it was an "Underground Railroad" Station. Before the Civil War, escaping slaves were hidden in a concealed area in the basement of the church until they could escape to freedom in Canada. Also, it was a meeting place for 19th century abolitionists such as Frederick Douglass.

11  Thank Apryl J

Been to Michigan Street Baptist Church? Share your experiences!