“Good stay, loud rooms”

Hotel at the Lafayette a Trademark Collection Hotel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I loved the decor of our suite, which had almost everything you'd expect In a standard hotel room (however, there was no iron, just an ironing board). My only complaint was that the room was SO LOUD. We were by the elevators, so that noise was constant, and we couldn't sleep because we could hear the showers and toilets running from the room above us. Could hear every conversation in the hallway. A little disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Picklespickles

Reviewed 8 July 2014

When traveling to see friends in Buffalo I chose to stay at the Hotel at the Lafayette once again. Everything was spectacular from Alex at the front desk, to the valets when going to and from, this spectacular hotel gets top marks in my book!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is an open letter to Rocco Termini. It is part love letter, part plea.
Mr. Termini, I am so thankful for you for buying and restoring this wonderful hotel in the heart of our wonderful city. It is beautifully done and you re to be commended for it. We stayed last night in one of the suites and had a lovely time. The hotel is ALMOST a first class, 5 star hotel. I just want it to BE a first class, five star experience, and it misses. I love great hotels: the Faimount Royal York. The Taj Palace in Mumbai, the Kimberly in NYC, The Hotel Granduca in Houston, TX. and so on. The thing that distinguishes the greats from the not quite greats is attention to the details that make a guest feel pampered and special. In your hotel the rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished. The beds are very comfortable and the towels are perfect. The fireplace is amusing. However, in a "Bridal Suite" there should be bathrobes, a mini fridge, nicer toiletries. The room colors are lovely and soothing but a bit TOO masculine??
The continental breakfast is NOT good. We came down just before 9:00 to a sea of dirty dishes, no clean dishes and, frankly, a really uninspired food assortment. The Hampton Inns have a much better breakfast!
The Hotel LaFayette is beautiful and having Mike A's there is so amazing, (both the bar and the restaurant.) I love the Pan Am Grill also. I hate to write anything negative about your hotel BUT I want it to be a true Five Star hotel and not just a beautiful piece of architecture. Little details add up! Thanks

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zaphelps
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After having stayed here, I can't see why anyone would go back to the Hampton Inn. The rooms are stunning, spacious and very tastefully decorated. The pricing for what you get is very hard to beat. Especially if you're from Toronto, you'll be shocked at what you get for $200 a night.

On the improvement side, Hotel@Lafayette can feel a bit like a hotel run by people that have never done this before. Small things like valet parking, baggage assistance, room service, calling a cab can be much harder here than you'd expect. I've seen the hotel get better with time and I hope to see it continue to improve.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Walking into this place is like dropping in on sepia toned movie set from the 1930's. It has character out the wahzoo. Way cool. We stayed in a 2 bedroom on the 3rd floor(302). It cost $270.00 after AAA discount. Valet parking was another $20.00.Never had to wait for my car. This place gets a lot of weddings and we could hear them from our room (that had no view).The bathrooms were nice and the beds comfortable. The kitchen in the room was fully stocked, almost. No microwave. How can this be? There was a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, oven and coffee maker but no microwave. Evidently none of the rooms have them. (I asked.) . The hallways are long and sort of creepy. The bar at Mike A's exudes class. I liked this hotel, but probably would try someplace else next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you are happy staying at the Red Roof, then do so. If you want an authentic historic experience with modern touches, The Lafayette is for you. Each room is unique with amazing murals on the wall of the world's fair that was hosted in Buffalo in 1901. The hotel was designed and constructed by Louise Bethune, the world's first female architect. There are three restaurants and a brewery within the hotel offering good meals and craft beer.
For a business person staying in downtown Buffalo, you can't beat this place for convenience or price. I was told that no chemicals are used in cleaning of the rooms, and I believe it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NiagaraGuideGuy
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed the Canadian long weekend at the Hotel Lafayette in a two bedroom suite comfortable to fit the needs of my family of 6.

Spacious enough with two full bathrooms, a full kitchen and two private queen sized bedrooms.

We loved the unique look of the hotel and the rooms. We were told it was originally built in 1904 and recently underwent renovations.

Great service from the valet parkers and the from desk staff all whom were extremely helpful when we needed their services.

My only negative feedback is that our room was not hooked up with hot water. On two separate occasions we called the front desk to inquire about why the hot water wasn't working. Both times, maintenance staff were sent to investigate, however there seemed to be no solution to the problem.
We were provided with another suite to use down the hall from where our room was located.

For the inconvenience, we were not charged for the overnight use of the other suite, or valet parking.

Clean, comfortable, and conveniently located in downtown Buffalo, I would totally stay once again and would recommend this hotel to my family and friends, despite our minor inconvenience.

• Stayed: May 2014