“Appetizers were exceptional, Main course not so much.”
Review of Sun Restaurant

Sun Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 1,060 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2014

After dining at several very good Thai restaurants we decided to give the Burmese/Thai a try for a change. Quite a lovely place roomy booths and a small upstairs sushi bar. We started out with the Black rice Grand avocado Roll (their signature roll) Black rice filled with Mango, Sweet potato,cucumber, Cilantro, Red Pepper, dark soy sauce and rolled in fresh avocado. Super fresh and delicious. Then we had the Golden Crispy Crab roll a whole crispy soft shell crab, asparagus, aioli sauce rolled in a sesame soy wrap. I could have eaten just that for my meal what amazing flavors and textures. Along with Sun's Black rice salad which was amazing. So fresh and flavorful, black rice, avocados, fresh basil,spring mix, cashews and homemade dressing. They do serve diced chili peppers on the side which are super hot and not for the timid. If we had stopped there I would have given an excellent rating but we moved on to entrees. We ordered the Sun's spicy chicken and contrary to their (Not Spicy) on the menu it was extremely spicy . The pumpkin stew which was suppose to be served in a green pumpkin came to our table in a plain bowl. I would say it was bland just an average gravy without a hint of the curry I was expecting, Chunks of pumpkin, 2 stalks of asparagus and a few strips of beef. I don't know how we ended up with a bowl and every other table was served their stew in a pumpkin. Our other friends ordered the Burmese flat wide noodle and the stir fried egg noodle both were rather dry and lacked flavor. Perhaps the chef was having an off night. The Sushi was so good we will go back for it and the black rice salad but I will probably rethink my entree choice next time.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This place is a gem! The staff speaks Burmese (and English!!) and my server even drew a map of Burma on a napkin to orient me as I enjoyed the fare. We had a tofu appetizer (Tofu Jyaw): tofu not overcooked, flavorful, great sauce. Our main courses were Prew Wan (veggie stir fry with a sweet and sour sauce) and Red Curry, both with tofu. Our dishes were cooked to perfection. Not one overdone/underdone veggie. The presentation was beautiful. I'm a huge fan of the Thai dessert of sticky rice, fresh mango, and coconut cream and they do a version with black rice. It is good, but I think I still prefer the sticky rice! I had a small bowl of rice with the curry (who doesn't need ample rice for curry!) and asked for more and they charged me an extra dollar for about 1/3 cup more rice. The restaurant's neighborhood is questionable, but once we were inside and seated we forgot all about that! The food quality is superb and the prices low. Were this place in a larger city, they would be able to double their prices and have a line waiting every night.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was taken to this restaurant in an area I would never think of going to. But when I walked in, I felt very comfortable. The menu was extensive with pretty much everything you can think of to eat. The food was excellent, and has become one of my favorite Thai restaurants to go to. Tom Yum soup is excellent, and so is their Thai Fried Rice. Can't gt enough of them!!! They have a pretty good selection of Thai beers too, and I'd be drinking them more often if I knew where else to get them. This is in my opinion one of if not the best Thai restaurant in Buffalo. They also have an extensive Black Rice menu, which I haven't seen at any other Thai restaurants. Very Authentic! They let you mix and match ingredients for pretty much all their entrees to your taste. At the top of my where to go list for Buffalo.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Never eaten Burmese food, so I cannot compare to others, but the dishes I ordered were all very well prepared and seasoned. Deep flavor and all had excellent texture and melded well. Probably the best restaurant food I have had this year. As a disclaimer, I do not go to restaurants frequently. I grow my own vegetables so I seldom eat at restaurants, because they cannot compete with what I can throw together in the kitchen.

Ordered fried tofu, which was not what I expected. It had almost a chick pea texture and color vs the normal white smooth tofu. It was a very pleasant change. Also the calamari was fried perfectly and paired nicely with the hot sauce side. Ordered the squash stew with chicken, and I would go back again every day for this dish. A deep and savory broth that had a flavor which nothing stood out but everything harmonized. Normally I can taste a dish and replicate it at home, but this stew was so completely whole I could not pick out the components in the broth.

My mother ordered a black rice roll with soft shell crab. Perfection. I normally do not eat sushi rolls since I am avoiding white rice and the nori (seaweed) they use in restaurants is usually poor quality unless one is paying a high price in a top end sushi restaurant. This roll had a soy based wrap with sesame incorporated into it and wonderful black rice. Again the textures and flavors melded perfectly, did not even need soy sauce. Almost made it worth flying to Buffalo.

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My family of four is visiting Buffalo from NC. We came across Sun's when our first choice, SuzyQ's, was closed. The black rice dishes were delicious! All of us enjoyed our meal and left very satisfied. The meal with one glass of wine and one dessert cost roughly $90. Our waiter was helpful, prompt and courteous. Recommend Sun's if you like asian cuisine!