“An Oddity In The Heart of Downtown Buffalo” 2 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$11 - US$25
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Buffalo, New York
“An Oddity In The Heart of Downtown Buffalo”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Odd, odd and odd again is how I would describe Kaydara’s menu, service, ambiance and food (odd in taste, appearance and presentation).
Owners tout a “large open floor plan highlighted by an open kitchen.” Oddly enough, the ambiance seemed vacuous and permeated with bad air. Floor-to- high ceiling windows on three sides should have provided a sophisticated atmosphere. Yet, an overnight diner set in a warehouse with windows was more the setting. A Coke machine stacked in the back (seen via the open floor plan) and air thick with smoke (thanks to open kitchen with grill) completed the warehouse effect.
The menu is very similar front and back. One page has food listed with prices, the other listing the same food but without pricing. We attempted to fathom the menu for several minutes before the waitress came to our aid. Tiny print did not help.
We found the noodle menu, though varied, not particularly interesting or enticing.
“Sundae” is an odd, confusing little title amidst the salad list. That said, the “Sundae” salad with its plethora of walnuts, craisins and goat cheese comprised delight. I must also herald the mocha crème brulee on the dessert menu—very small, tiny even, but creamy with a crispy top impeccably torched. My dining companion objected to the mocha flavoring and pointed out that crème brulee when properly prepared is the perfect food. It needs no additives. Our waitress informed us that hot cocoa crème brulee was on the menu the night before and more flavors would be available in the future.
Three (are you getting the ‘odd’ part here?) pot stickers were served in a scant amount of sauce. Who brings three single appetizers to a table of two or even a table of four?
Two crispy chicken thighs alone on a plate were served to my friend. Two lone chicken thighs cost $13.00. She ordered curry potato discs on the side for three dollars and six small potato rounds were provided; no vegetables in sight. She found the chicken to be undercooked and vowed to take it home and finish the job. The crust itself was described as tasty. Our waitress, ever-ready with an explanation, enlightened us. The advantage to this presentation: the chicken is not cut up into tiny little pieces like they do in Chinese restaurants.
I ordered the pork curry which came in a medium-sized soup bowl also for $13. A side of rice was extra for $3. The curry was at least 3 stars hotter than I ever eat but no one inquired as to my star limit. I found the mixture of tender pork and vegetables flavorful once I got beyond its red hot status. In preparation for dessert, ginger was served to clear our palates of spicy flavors. I could have used that ginger between bites of my entrée.
It didn’t help that alcohol is not available. Perhaps, after a cocktail, things would have appeared less egregious. Kaydara though open for over a year, has not been issued a liquor license nor one for wine or beer. Odd, I would say. “Just not yet,” the waitress said. A list of exotic fruit drinks i.e. passionfruit soda and lime iced tea were offered in place of alcohol.
The waitress was attentive, chirpy and considerate and apologized for any confusion on the menu or with the food. She was an able interpreter of Kaydara’s oddities.
The evenings’s conclusion: though we appreciated the effort and the local ties, too odd for us. We would not return.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Trudy C

Buffalo, New York
“So-so overpriced food, good service/atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Ate here with a co-worker for lunch on a Thursday. The place was suprisingly busy (he said every other time he had been there it was dead). We were seated quickly by a very nice server who did a great job throughout the whole meal.

I ordered somen which came with beef and was supposed to be spicy. Ordered the regular size portion. First, it was a very very small portion. Which is fine, except that it cost $10! Very overpriced. Second, although the food was good, it was not spicy at all. I was able to load it up with hot sauce provided at the table. Once I did this it was excellent. But you shouldn't have to do that when a dish advertises as spicy.

Not that we were drinking with lunch, but my co-worker told me they don't have a liquor license.

I will be back because it's a good lunch option downtown. I don't think I would go out of my way to eat here though.

• Visited November 2013
“Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Had a delicious meal at Kaydara Noodle bar with a group (of 6). A bit of a wait before we sat and before ordering, the waitress had to give us the low down on the menu (which was confusing between lunch vs dinner) and contained items that we weren't particularly familiar with. All of us had either the Udon noodles (with chicken or pork) or the crispy egg noodles (chicken). Everyone was pleased with their dinners but they were a bit spicier than we anticipated. During the meal there was a parade of dogs/dog-owners coming out from the residential apartments next store. This supplied quite a show which was interrupted when the firetrucks rolled in due to smoke both in the restaurant and apparently in the apartment building - due to a faulty clothes dryer, we were told. Very apologetic waitstaff. So, a bit of chaos around us but the food itself was wonderful. No liquor license - which is kind of a bummer. Would have enjoyed a glass of wine before or with dinner.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Beth O
Buffalo, NY
“Enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stopped in over the weekend to give this place a try. We called ahead and they said they were packed at dinner but if you came after 8:00 there would be no problem getting a table which was true. The server brought us some cucumber water to start which was interesting. Two in our party loved it and two thought it was okay. Started with the chicken steamed dumplings and an order of pot stickers. Both were excellent. The pot stickers had a combination of potatoes with goat cheese that were an interesting change from the usual meat filling. The sauce for the dumplings was fantastic.
For entrees we had the Udon with chicken, Udon with beef, crunchy noodles with chicken, sweet and spicy fried chicken and an order of the curried pork with a side of jasmine rice The curried pork was excellent with a wonderful mix of flavors nicely complemented by the rice. The fried chicken was also outstanding but looked a little lonely with no accompaniment on the plate. The udon with beef had a nice spice and the chicken was good too. We didn't love the crunchy noodles but I think that's just our preference.
Service was great and overall it was a very good experience.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Good service and good atmosphere but...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We love Asian noodle and have been to many noodle houses. This is the only one that we got royal treatment - we shared this huge restaurant with another couple, nobody else! All other tables were empty and it was Sunday evening! Immediately felt heavy hearted for the owner. The whole place was clean with modern decoration. Loud music filled the air. Although their dinning style wasn't my favourite but I am sure some young people would like it.

I was surprised why it was unpopular until the food came. We ordered pho, somen (spicy pho), udo, mushroom/tofu stir fry, beef tenderloin. Either too salty or too watery, not a single one tasted like restaurant food. Noodle wasn't fresh and the sauce/soup wasn't done right. Portion is small too. Certainly the food was not from a cook who knows about Asian noodles.

I hate to give a bad review to such a good looking place. But I feel strongly that they need a new cook to revive the business. Right now their food can't even compare with the $8 noodle dish in wonderland amusement park. Wish them good luck.

• Visited August 2013